• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
off for Juneteenth today -- which is way sweet -- but the email letting us know that we had the day off came in at 1am this morning

Celebrated Juneteenth by going birding this morning. I saw many different kinds of black birds including this Anhinga:

f26904be19c6f6011ab1507ec8d47bbc.jpg

We are both off for Juneteenth, but our daycare is open so we left the lake at 7:30 to get them to daycare at 9:15 so we could actually relax.

What’s your career number? Have you ever tried a bug year? In the movie the Big Year is that totally inaccurate?

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. I saw it about about midnight on Saturday and let it slide.

My official career total species observed in ebird.org is 590, but that's a way under count because I've been birding since the 90s and ebird didn't exist until 2006. I didn't start using ebird until maybe 2018. I'd have to go back and look at all my old lists and bird books, but I am probably around 1000 species. I've never done a big year, but done a big day, 100 species in a day, and we got to 114 way back in 2007. That movie is actually pretty accurate. Birders are weird people.

Bird, you never answered my airboat question.

Kid is watching the Toy Story movies since daycare is closed. Super unmotivated to work today with these on and my boss out all week. Will do more tomorrow when I can actually sit at my home office desk. Got a bunch of new records this weekend courtesy of Record Store Day I wanna crack open

Bird, you never answered my airboat question.

Shit, sorry. I don't know if they are bad for the environment. If it makes you feel better, I've done them several times in Kissimmee and in the Everglades and would probably do them again. I kind of take your Disney World attitude. Society is collapsing and a lot of these birds will be extinct soon anyway, so why not enjoy them now. It definitely harasses the birds and they should probably be more regulated, but the FWC agency does a really good job protecting birds so I choose to trust them.

You Birdman, I got a nest in the entryway of the house that now has little chicks in it. How long before they fly away and I can take down the nest? I think they are Barn Swallows, but I also have no fucking clue.

Also side note one of the little chickies fell out of the nest and died yesterday. Sups sad.

I just reread the Ian Fleming James Bond novel "Dr. No" and it is all about birds and bird shit. Bond's cover is as an Audubon bro.

Also, the books are a whole lot better than i remember them being and very different from the films. Bond doesn't even kiss a girl until like the final chapter and he drinks mostly G&Ts and Canadian Club

My mom is offering us a flight to NH for 4th of July, even though we are visiting for a week at the end of July. I am tempted because its over 100 degrees everyday in Texas and we cant do much with the infants. The concern is the travel and hassle for 3 days. Wife and I are a bit torn. While it would be nice to get out of the heat and be able to walk outside with the kids, there are family concerns.

Texas is really hot btw.

You Birdman, I got a nest in the entryway of the house that now has little chicks in it. How long before they fly away and I can take down the nest? I think they are Barn Swallows, but I also have no fucking clue.

Also side note one of the little chickies fell out of the nest and died yesterday. Sups sad.

If it is a barn swallow, they take about 18-20 days to leave the nest.

Could also be an eastern phoebe, they like to nest on porches and in covered entryways too. They take about 14-16 days to leave the nest.

at birdman, was just reading the instructions on a bottle of Febreeze and it said safe around cats and dogs "but like all air cleaning products should not be used around birds." What does it do?

at birdman, was just reading the instructions on a bottle of Febreeze and it said safe around cats and dogs "but like all air cleaning products should not be used around birds." What does it do?

You guys finally got me stumped with a bird question. I have no idea what febreeze does to birds.

Upgraded to google fiber a couple weeks ago and got two of the google mesh routers for free with the install. They work well so far.

I got two as well(for my 800sqft apt lol) bc I wanted to since free. I have had a day or two where it has been running slow.

Also, the google home app says my speeds are about 4x faster than if I run a speed test on the internet. Idk what to trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back