• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is plama trying to tell us something about his marriage with this thread title?

i was just on a call where one of our HR leads kept talking about the "war on talent," and I had to remind them that we are fighting a war FOR talent, not actually attacking our employees.

i was just on a call where one of our HR leads kept talking about the "war on talent," and I had to remind them that we are fighting a war FOR talent, not actually attacking our employees.

One of the firms I work with is getting their people hired by the IRS.

The overuse of "war" metaphors is one of the most annoying things about this country. What is this "war" beyond basic labor market economics?

I think I would like a new job. The mortgage world is pretty bleak (even if the business unit I run is growing). How does one pivot industries after 11 years?

taking a kid-free trip to Chicago in December.

Restaurant recommendations please !

if you can remember to book it, armitage alehouse is lovely and the food is bonkers

it's a 1920s british style pub from the folks behind au cheval. only issue (or it was an issue when i went in January-- they had been open for 3 months at that point) is they release reservations 14 days in advance at 10am est, and those reservations disappeared within a minute or two.

looked just now and it seems like it's chilled out slightly, but only slightly-- there are a handful of late night times available for the next couple of weeks, so maybe it'll be easier to book come december

Last edited:
I think I would like a new job. The mortgage world is pretty bleak (even if the business unit I run is growing). How does one pivot industries after 11 years?

Lmk if you figure it out. Going back to school is the obvious path for most people but I’m a little too far in for it to make sense from a financial perspective. Being part of a bigger company hypothetically gives me more avenues for advancement (my original thinking at least) but so many here have such a narrow view of “you’ve done X and been good at it so this is now the path for you”. Very frustrating.

After watching a lot of Braves games this year I have that song from the Truist commercial stuck on repeat in my head. It’s not a very family friendly song.

Lmk if you figure it out. Going back to school is the obvious path for most people but I’m a little too far in for it to make sense from a financial perspective. Being part of a bigger company hypothetically gives me more avenues for advancement (my original thinking at least) but so many here have such a narrow view of “you’ve done X and been good at it so this is now the path for you”. Very frustrating.

My role is very bus. dev, partnership management, & marketing focused, so hopefully it is somewhat transferrable. But I feel like I get pigeon holed into mortgage, and also don't have a ton of specific skills (no advanced degree, coding, etc).

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Start with clarity on what you're looking for by answering these questions: Why are you searching for a new job? What are you looking for in your next job?

Then identify your needs/wants for each of the following areas that lead to job satisfaction: The Role, The Environment (Physical work space / industry), and People & Culture.

Once you're clear on those things you can do the research to map your needs/wants to a role in a new industry and then it's a matter of building your resume to speak to your ability to deliver value in the types of roles you are seeking. When making a pivot, you'll probably want to spend more time building/using your network to get your foot in the door at your target employers, bypassing recruiters/hr as much as possible and getting to hiring managers or people who can introduce you to hiring managers.

I used a coach who specializes in this kind of thing to make my own transition recently and highly recommend. Would be happy to DM the name if you're interested.

Start with clarity on what you're looking for by answering these questions: Why are you searching for a new job? What are you looking for in your next job?

Then identify your needs/wants for each of the following areas that lead to job satisfaction: The Role, The Environment (Physical work space / industry), and People & Culture.

Once you're clear on those things you can do the research to map your needs/wants to a role in a new industry and then it's a matter of building your resume to speak to your ability to deliver value in the types of roles you are seeking. When making a pivot, you'll probably want to spend more time building/using your network to get your foot in the door at your target employers, bypassing recruiters/hr as much as possible and getting to hiring managers or people who can introduce you to hiring managers.

I used a coach who specializes in this kind of thing to make my own transition recently and highly recommend. Would be happy to DM the name if you're interested.

Part of the issue, admittedly, is that I just don’t know the answers to most of those questions.

find a job you can do at least partially remote, and then play video games all day while keeping your phone nearby for emergencies/email checking

So Elon Musk has 9 kids now? That child support has to be crazy.

The boys' nanny thought that their little union jack socks were confederate flag socks and I am just flabbergasted by that.

The boys' nanny thought that their little union jack socks were confederate flag socks and I am just flabbergasted by that.

Our ancestors fought a fucking WAR so we didn't have to put the union jack on our baby's feet !! Throw those socks into Boston Harbor !!

Our ancestors fought a fucking WAR so we didn't have to put the union jack on our baby's feet !! Throw those socks into Boston Harbor !!

This is true. Bad dad.

What is the rule for Uber Eats being delivered to your house by mistake? I do not know the person or where they live, but its an ice coffee so I fee like there is a time limit on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back