• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed one of those Blink doorbells. Figured I'd hardwire it and was trying to shut off the power to the old doorbell. Went through all the usual breakers and nothing shut it off. Turned out the old doorbell, which looked like it was installed in 1982, was wireless. I didn't see two wires behind it (only one), so I installed it with batteries which will probably die in two weeks, and hooked it up to my Alexa, but I can't get my Alexa to call it the doorbell or the front door. Instead, whenever it rings it tells me somebody rang the C3P0R2D2FML device. I've changed the name in the Alexa app and the Blink app. No luck.

T's & P's!

The only think I thought was pretty funny was that the cabin on the boat was named Cocktails and Dreams, which is a reference from the movie Cocktail, starring Elisabeth Shue.

I’m just amazed people haven’t gotten sick of the Marvel movies yet. How many combined movies has Thor been in?

The only think I thought was pretty funny was that the cabin on the boat was named Cocktails and Dreams, which is a reference from the movie Cocktail, starring Elisabeth Shue.

You’re aware there are 9 Fast and Furious movies?

I’m just amazed people haven’t gotten sick of the Marvel movies yet. How many combined movies has Thor been in?

I’m kinda amazed peoples expectations for these movies haven’t lowered with repetition- law of diminishing returns and all that. Film franchises are almost always dogshit past #3.

I'm as frustrated with comic book movies as anybody else, but the Marvel shit is usually good. The Avengers movies-- 3 of the 4 were great. The Captain America ones were good. The Thor ones are a mixed bag, though he's easily the best character of the entire Marvel universe. The first Dr. Strange was mediocre, the second good. I won't watch the Spiderman movies because I hate Spiderman. Iron Man was solid. Even the not-so-great ones like Black Widow or Avengers 2 were entertaining. Didn't see Antman.

The Marvel stuff is basically like the Bond franchise or a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

What grocery store doesn’t take credit cards in 2022?

WinCo. That’s who. I don’t even carry a debit card & wasted 75 min. Also who’s credit card does ATM withdrawals?

No interest in comic book movies

Wish studios would take more risks or be willing to green light more and better source material with more regularity

Think the last movie I saw in theaters was Uncut Gems?

Had a nice weekend at the beach, came back early to go to the last night at 3 Stars Brewery, closes permanently today

A discussion with friends at the beach this weekend was what is the best example of a low stress high paying job

Another couple random observations

The gulf in quality between the best John Grisham and the worst is staggering

Probably true for my guy Stephen King too tho I think King hits more

An underrated Grisham is The Painted House, very different from his standard legal thriller, though obviously some of those are great too

But his worst books are downright terrible

I’m about 20 pages away from finishing 11/22/63 now (King) and it was fine? Didn’t do much for me as someone interested in both the JFK conspiracy theories and in time travel.

No interest in comic book movies

Wish studios would take more risks or be willing to green light more and better source material with more regularity

Think the last movie I saw in theaters was Uncut Gems?

Had a nice weekend at the beach, came back early to go to the last night at 3 Stars Brewery, closes permanently today

A discussion with friends at the beach this weekend was what is the best example of a low stress high paying job

I regularly see this take about studios not taking more risks but at the same time I see a wide range of film and TV shows on all manner of streaming and traditional platforms. What do you want that studios aren’t making? It seems like there’s something for every niche nowadays.

Seems like if you know about low stress high paying jobs, you’d probably have one. Also what is considered “high paying” among your friends?

What do you want that studios aren’t making? It seems like there’s something for every niche.

Is there a superhero dedicated to returning the means of production to the workers?

I regularly see this take about studios not taking more risks but at the same time I see a wide range of film and TV shows on all manner of streaming and traditional platforms. What do you want that studios aren’t making? It seems like there’s something for every niche nowadays.

This kinda feels like arguing that because Spotify enables millions more artists to release/publish music that most radio/big-label music isn't fairly homogenous. At Winston's Grand18 this weekend you've got your choice between a comic book movie (Thor), remake/sequel from movies whose ideas were conceived 30+ years ago (Top Gun, Jurassic), yet another artist biopic (Elvis), animated drivel and yet another sequel to boot (Gru), what I assume is a direct knock-off of Bridgerton, and one horror film. I'm not a film expert, but that's a lot of safe choices.

This kinda feels like arguing that because Spotify enables millions more artists to release/publish music that most radio/big-label music isn't fairly homogenous. At Winston's Grand18 this weekend you've got your choice between a comic book movie (Thor), remake/sequel from movies whose ideas were conceived 30+ years ago (Top Gun, Jurassic), yet another artist biopic (Elvis), animated drivel and yet another sequel to boot (Gru), what I assume is a direct knock-off of Bridgerton, and one horror film. I'm not a film expert, but that's a lot of safe choices.

In the movie theater. But you can pay the equivalent of 1 or 2 movie tickets a month and watch all kinds of new niche films on a streaming platform.

It’s like living in the 1940s if the only entertainment you’re getting is from the movie theater or radio.

Is there a Marvel superhero who fights for tenant rights? I'd dig that niche angle.

"the most important thing we have... is a home"
*inspirational music swells*

if there was a labor superhero he'd defs have to fight Tony Stark tho

In the movie theater. But you can pay the equivalent of 1 or 2 movie tickets a month and watch all kinds of new niche films on a streaming platform.

It’s like living in the 1940s if the only entertainment you’re getting is from the movie theater or radio.

Yeah but I want those big movie theater budgets going to semi-original scripts instead of trying to make Morb happen.

Is there a superhero dedicated to returning the means of production to the workers?

Not that I know of. Best I can do are some Marvel villains that “make a really good point.” But I’d love to see it.

One show I watch had a brief storyline where a hero took time away from fighting villains to use their powers to clean up the environment. That was a revelation.

Not that I know of. Best I can do are some Marvel villains that “make a really good point.” But I’d love to see it.

One show I watch had a brief storyline where a hero took time away from fighting villains to use their powers to clean up the environment. That was a revelation.

there goes that pesky base determining the superstructure again

Yeah but I want those big movie theater budgets going to semi-original scripts instead of trying to make Morb happen.

What would you want that requires a big budget ($200M+) and movie theater to give you 2-3 hours of semi-original entertainment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back