• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and to the high paying low stress job we couldn’t really come up with great examples

certainly those of us this weekend who were discussing all make good money. The discussion was a lot around finding the right balance between work/life, company culture/mission, finding fulfillment in the work, etc. Generally there was agreement that work is work, occasionally it’s worthwhile and fulfilling but mostly it’s a means to an end. And maybe that’s a healthy outlook on it so you don’t get addicted to striving or climbing a ladder.

I think it’s tough to quantify without taking your overall life circumstances into consideration. My job can be stressful. It is more stressful because I have young kids so a) it’s not as relaxing at home and b) if I work late or on the weekends it has a bigger impact than if I was single or married w/o kids.

2 Attorneys in my office have taken trips to Italy this month. 1 is going to Spain next month. I went to the beach for a week and my 11 month old got the flu while we were there. It’s just a different life.

When I left for parental leave I took the apps (Outlook, Teams) that people at work use to get in touch with me off my phone and haven’t put them back on since. I appreciate that I work in a company and a position where that’s possible. Not taking work home (so to speak) or working a lot of extra hours is nice. Flexible hours, remote work, and getting to work on things I want to work on is very nice. There could always be more money. But I’ve also found that’s a hard treadmill to get off, and you start to sacrifice the above generally as you make more money.

the Alhambra was REALLY great. We stayed in a parador in the middle of it and felt like ballers

When I left for parental leave I took the apps (Outlook, Teams) that people at work use to get in touch with me off my phone and haven’t put them back on since. I appreciate that I work in a company and a position where that’s possible. Not taking work home (so to speak) or working a lot of extra hours is nice. Flexible hours, remote work, and getting to work on things I want to work on is very nice. There could always be more money. But I’ve also found that’s a hard treadmill to get off, and you start to sacrifice the above generally as you make more money.

I took my kid camping in March and turned off notifications on my phone outlook app and never turned them back on. It’s been a more chill couple of months. Of course now when I do check there are often dozens emails to sift through.

I took my kid camping in March and turned off notifications on my phone outlook app and never turned them back on. It’s been a more chill couple of months. Of course now when I do check there are often dozens emails to sift through.

if i don't check my email for an hour there are dozens of emails to sift through.

in a related matter, way too much of my work is in emails

feel like i've found a sweet spot where I don't have to work too hard, make plenty of money to support my lifestyle, work is interesting enough, clear boundaries when not working, and I have a lot of freedom around where I work

passed up a few opportunities to make a jump up recently but don't regret not moving on them

My field generally requires you to be pretty connected throughout the day in case of any issues, but at this job they are way better about stressing that once it's after hours you shouldn't focus on work. I still will check emails on my phone once or twice at night. I've also been bad about checking emails on vacation and my boss has been good about making sure I don't. This past week was probably the first vacation where I didn't check emails once. It felt weird, but good. I would tap my work phone screen daily to see if there were any texts or Teams chats that required anything immediate, but nothing.

At my old job, all the European people would take their weeks of leave in the summer and be completely off the grid. But there was always this sort of unwritten expectation that the Americans would be checking emails and such since we're wired that way. So, I'd at least have some expectations from American colleagues that I'd answer their emails while gone.

Man, I’ve been to a ton of cathedrals in Europe and I’m pretty sure that Christianity been on this Joel Osteen shit for a while now.

Also I’m either still pretty fluent or the waiters in the tourist areas are very patient.

I have never been this uncomfortable before because of sunburn. It is the worst itch I have every had with no relief

Also I have a very white line on my stomach from where I was sitting in the kayak and did not get burnt. It is funny.

one more 3* away from beating all the free Mahjong layouts before I'd be forced to buy 100 more.

We stayed at the Edgewater last time we were there for a few nights (before taking a plane to Juneau where our very smol boat cruise left from), and it is RIGHT next to cruise docks (which is a nice enough location, easy to walk to all the seattle highlights). I can't remember if it'll break the bank because I paid w/ points.

We looked at and like the Edgewater. It's leading the pack at the moment.

Do you make a stop in Whittier on the cruise? Very interesting town, I spent a night sleeping in a warehouse there. Every resident lives in the same apartment building. I always think how terrible that must be for covert assignations. Divorce rate must be super high or super low. Anywho, its a cool town off of Prince William Sound, some heaving glaciers and black sand beaches in the area.

We are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back