• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is also an information gap -- people don't really know much about jobs outside what they've been exposed to nor how one would go about attaining such a job

On Instagram there are these reels by @salarytransparentstreet where a person goes around asking people what they do for a living, how much they make and how they got into it. It is eye opening to learn some of the salaries that these positions make. Schools do a terrible job of letting people know the different career avenues out there, that's why so many of us become lawyers, we don't know what else to do after college. Finding a lot of these careers is due to luck, knowing someone in the field.

yeah, i'm in a fairly niche industry that I didn't know existed until I went to grad school

I feel like I know quite a few folks that would do well in it, but would never know it existed if they didn't know me

So I sent my daughter out on a half-day fishing trip with three of her friends and they're pulling in big reds left and right while I'm at the office.

yeah, i'm in a fairly niche industry that I didn't know existed until I went to grad school

I feel like I know quite a few folks that would do well in it, but would never know it existed if they didn't know me

Same here. My career was only vaguely related to my education. True of most of the people in it.

Was trying to find a tweet from a laid-off journalist who said something like "What jobs are even out there? I only know of ones in Richard Scarry books like firefighter, mailman, butcher, etc."

giphy.gif

my son is obsessed with vehicles so those books are perfect for him. as are the Cars movies.

for the phones are listening chronicles:

was hanging out with my buddy the other night and he talked about his work trip to Galveston and so we ended up talking about Galveston for a few minutes; next day get an email ad from Royal Caribbean about a cruise from Galveston

but I didn't even bring my phone to my buddy's house, so either a heavy coincidence or it somehow made the connection via our texts or my voice or something

With as many friends that I have that are just single dudes who are crazy under employed, it has to be some mix of fear of rejection and just generally not putting yourself out there. I have three grown men who are my friends, but they have done absolutely nothing with their lives that were and are full of promise

After being underemployed for a while it is easy to doubt whether or not you actually have promise.

for the phones are listening chronicles:

was hanging out with my buddy the other night and he talked about his work trip to Galveston and so we ended up talking about Galveston for a few minutes; next day get an email ad from Royal Caribbean about a cruise from Galveston

but I didn't even bring my phone to my buddy's house, so either a heavy coincidence or it somehow made the connection via our texts or my voice or something

are you signed up for RC's mailing list

who goes out without their phone? very sus

***juice***

a little bummed you didn't get an add for the classic Glen Campbell song, "Galveston"

It is always interesting to me when I interact with someone who is clearly way overqualified for the job they are doing and could be killing it applying their skills to a different profession. Makes me wonder what their story is.

I suppose that is partly because I feel like a monkey could do my job.

My wife has a friend from high school that is a surgical tech and she’s just happy doing what she’s doing. No kids. Just parties and hangs out at the beach.

I honestly don’t understand that mentality. And I know this is probably a defect in my character but I don’t understand not always wanting more. Not necessarily materially but always wanting to be moving up and getting higher and higher in your chosen profession.

I don’t think it’s the healthiest mentality. And has to be consciously balanced out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back