• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a friend from high school that is a surgical tech and she’s just happy doing what she’s doing. No kids. Just parties and hangs out at the beach.

I honestly don’t understand that mentality. And I know this is probably a defect in my character but I don’t understand not always wanting more. Not necessarily materially but always wanting to be moving up and getting higher and higher in your chosen profession.

I don’t think it’s the healthiest mentality. And has to be consciously balanced out.

I hear you. I can understand someone saying, "I don't want to be at the top of the food chain." But I cannot understand someone saying, "And I don't want to have children or any other lasting legacy."

It's like "leave no trace" applied to life trajectory.

I hear you. I can understand someone saying, "I don't want to be at the top of the food chain." But I cannot understand someone saying, "And I don't want to have children or any other lasting legacy."

I guess it depends on the kind of surgery, but surgical tech is very likely help people, maybe even helping save lives, so that’s a legacy. I think every body leaves a trace, just not a big obvious one.

My wife, some weeks, is so tired and burned out from work that I often think she’d be happier making $12 an hour at a gardening store without the physical and emotional stress of being a vet.

Nobody:

Band of Brothers actors during COVID:

See thats really not fair because the British Actors definitely have so much more experience with reading Shakespeare, its like having to name all 50 states for British drama students.

Speaking of which, no one throws a fit that half the guys in that show were British and not American, totally screwed up the historical accuracy of it all.

I understand someone who does a job that they love, regardless of the pay or prestige. Shit, I think I mentioned recently that I'm intrigued by the life of a truck driver.

What I don't get is someone who works a minimum wage (ish) job for 40+ hours a week when they could greatly improve their overall quality of life doing something else that they'd probably excel at.

I guess it depends on the kind of surgery, but surgical tech is very likely help people, maybe even helping save lives, so that’s a legacy. I think every body leaves a trace, just not a big obvious one.

My wife, some weeks, is so tired and burned out from work that I often think she’d be happier making $12 an hour at a gardening store without the physical and emotional stress of being a vet.

Yup, my wife has talked about working at a nearby horse farm (she has zero horse experience) or garden store when our kids are all in school.

I can get behind that.

My retired aunt can't sit still... She's thinking about being a cashier at Publix.

I get that, too.

Or being a hooker when they could run for Congress.

Outside of drug use if you have a good work ethic you probably shouldn’t be held back by a shitty job if just given an opportunity and knowledge that a job exists, but I think that’s the barrier that must be crossed. I could train pretty much anyone to be a lab tech, it’s monotonous tedious work but you’re looking at $50K at least.

Swim meet Thursday over here!!!

96 degrees right now. It's an away meet at a country club that has notoriously tiny facilities. I mean, normal-sized pool, but not a lot of room to accommodate all of the families. So we'll basically all just mingle around outside the pool fence until our kids are racing for like 2 minutes and then we go back outside.

My wife was like, "Let's bring a cooler!" and I started putting beers in there and she was like, "What the fuck are you doing? I was talking about waters!"

It's gonna be a long night.

96 degrees right now. It's an away meet at a country club that has notoriously tiny facilities. I mean, normal-sized pool, but not a lot of room to accommodate all of the families. So we'll basically all just mingle around outside the pool fence until our kids are racing for like 2 minutes and then we go back outside.

My wife was like, "Let's bring a cooler!" and I started putting beers in there and she was like, "What the fuck are you doing? I was talking about waters!"

Forgiveness, not permission

I am in the exact same boat tonight. Exact same, except it's only 92 degrees here. I'm bringing beers.

was the problem that they were glass bottle instead of cans or something?

Her main argument is that it is a children's swimming event. We've had 2 of these now and neither time have we seen anyone openly drinking alcohol.

The other argument is that I drink too much.

Her main argument is that it is a children's swimming event. We've had 2 of these now and neither time have we seen anyone openly drinking alcohol.

I mean, if it's really at a country club, they should have a bar and you wouldn't be allowed to bring your own alcohol.

At one of the horse shows a couple years ago I found out that one of the mothers kept vodka in her cooler and was refilling what we all thought was a coffee mug all day long.

pretty sure alcohol was banned at my neighborhood pool growing up but I couldn't swear that in a court of law

I mean, if it's really at a country club, they should have a bar and you wouldn't be allowed to bring your own alcohol.

It's really at a country club. And it's really going to be almost 100 degrees. And they really don't have room for all of us. So they explicitly told us to bring coolers (ostensibly for waters, but they should have been more specific IMO).

There is zero chance that they'll encourage us to go into the bar area (or anywhere inside, for that matter).

Did u know that your iPhone can now identify a plant if you take a photo and just click on the info button or swipe up on the photo? Now you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back