• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: What's the deal with those guys in The Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also enjoy shooting clays, cooking, motorcycling, skateboarding and playing Dungeons & Dragons

AMA

how does one get into D&D later in life? i'd like to try, but like a lot of hobbies seems like it's tough to break in to when you're older?

how does one get into D&D later in life? i'd like to try, but like a lot of hobbies seems like it's tough to break in to when you're older?

During lockdown I was having an awkward zoom hang with some other dads at my kids daycare in an attempt to do a social thing and someone was like “i always wanted to try D&D” and 6 of us all said the same thing and then we did it. Over zoom weekly until last fall when we moved to IRL

Otherwise I’d have to go to a game club and play with randoms i guess. Having a group of noobs all the same life-phase made it pretty chill /fun

I don't think I know a single "academic" IRL. I'm also not totally sure what that means.

But he also cuts the lawn and drives the school bus, so idk if it counts.

I don't think I know a single "academic" IRL. I'm also not totally sure what that means.

lol are y'all serious? y'all went to college, and a great one at that, for Christ's sake lol

somebody employed in the field of academia

it's like how lawyers are employed in the field of law and doctors and nurses are employed in the field of medicine

a lot of the academic folks near me are huuuuuge dorks

Yeah, I have a chemistry professor and an English professor who live two doors down. They both recently retired. Impossible to talk to. Hopefully they'll move.

Ours goes blacks, blues, whites, golds, greens. I think the greens are called "family" tees but I don't actually know what that means.

We go black, gold, blue, white, green, red with hybrid scorecards for everything in the middle. Absurd.

I think taking up skateboarding in your late 30's is braver than anything I've ever done in my life.

Working at a rehab hospital has fucked me up for trying basically any risky hobby.

Golf is a great way to sneak in some bird watching.
One time I was playing golf as a kid and my friend's drive broke the neck of a goose hanging out in the fairway. I'm not a fan of geese, but that kinda traumatized me

lol are y'all serious? y'all went to college, and a great one at that, for Christ's sake lol

somebody employed in the field of academia

it's like how lawyers are employed in the field of law and doctors and nurses are employed in the field of medicine

So are K-12 teachers in academia? I assume so? Pre-school teachers? I guess I think of academia more like research, higher ed, etc.

I do know one tenured professor actually, so we're all good.

So are K-12 teachers in academia? I assume so? Pre-school teachers? I guess I think of academia more like research, higher ed, etc.

I do know one tenured professor actually, so we're all good.

i think academia mainly refers to postsecondary ed, but i could be wrong

i think academics and primary/middle/secondary teachers could definitely both be described as educators, though

what do you think mako/phan?

During lockdown I was having an awkward zoom hang with some other dads at my kids daycare in an attempt to do a social thing and someone was like “i always wanted to try D&D” and 6 of us all said the same thing and then we did it. Over zoom weekly until last fall when we moved to IRL

Otherwise I’d have to go to a game club and play with randoms i guess. Having a group of noobs all the same life-phase made it pretty chill /fun

Is D&D worth it? I could also see myself getting into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back