• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit D&D Thread

I would call you all a bunch of fucking nerds, but as somebody who played WoW for several years and still logs on occasionally, I can't really do that.

But you all are a bunch of fucking nerds.

I would call you all a bunch of fucking nerds, but as somebody who played WoW for several years and still logs on occasionally, I can't really do that.

But you all are a bunch of fucking nerds.

Warcraft is worse than any fucking drug

Warcraft is worse than any fucking drug

It was back in the day. I was pretty casual, never obsessed about making my characters max anything, and I still spent countless hours on it. I play periodically, but if you aren't raiding with a guild, it isn't nearly as fun. I don't really have the time to do that anymore, plus the guild fell apart years ago and I haven't bothered to look for anything new.

You all are still fucking nerds.

Some interesting changes in the UA material including changing Nat 1/20 to auto fail/success for saves and ability checks not just attacks

I don't really agree with this change for ability checks. There are some times where things should ways fail. I roll to persuade God to give me all his powers or I'm going to jump over the Grand Canyon should always fail or I roll to pick up this piece of paper should always succeed.

I’m unsure. At first I thought it was a bad change but I actually think it reigns in the pressure of “rule of cool” BS for DMs. It gives permission/forces the DM say “nope, that’s funny but no, you can’t do that.”

I also like that a super skilled person can still fail sometimes, like real life.

Ultimately, The DM calls for the roll, not the player. 5e’s “rulings not rules” philosophy is awesome in many ways but in practice I’ve found that it has a way of watering down the game in favor of the player.

I agree. I have a group of friends that I play with and we all rotate DMing. There's one guy who always tries to make the most overpowered character possible and then argues when the DM disagrees with how he's decided something should be ruled.

I can see him trying to make a bard, stacking persuasion, and trying to roll for each combat to surrender.

I agree. I have a group of friends that I play with and we all rotate DMing. There's one guy who always tries to make the most overpowered character possible and then argues when the DM disagrees with how he's decided something should be ruled.

I can see him trying to make a bard, stacking persuasion, and trying to roll for each combat to surrender.

"the guards hesitate a moment, wondering what to do. the lead guard yells "what are you waiting for!?" mechanically, the guards lose their Action for the turn.

but yeah, the min-maxer will see any logical response to a PC's course of action as a "nerf" b/c they want to be playing Skyrim, not D&D. we have one of those but he got quashed fairly early on, fortunately.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts are that the reworked classes are improvements. As a bard player the new base class is definitely better.

I like almost all of the feat updates and the new revisions to Actions/Conditions are nice quality of life improvements for players and DMs

overall definitely a shift to Advanced/5.5e vs a rework to 6e type of change.

So are we going to have a board DnD game or...?

Back