• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit D&D Thread

ImTheCaptain

I disagree with you
Reaction score
Let's talk about the world's greatest tabletop RPG and tabletop games in general.

I'm involved in two 5e campaigns with the same group of guys, one as a PC and one as a DM.

If you're looking to get started the official Starter Set is a really great place - it's one of the best modules ever written, period, and does a pretty good job of teaching players and DMs "how to play".

Also, 5th Edition can be a little tricky for new DMs it's great for new players because it's built to feel like what people think of when they think of D&D by simplifying mechanics and focusing more on PC agency and storytelling vs number crunching and pedantry. It's also the most flexible version of the game to date, allowing DMs to really fiddle with rules and scaling to fit the needs of the party.

Some great resources for DMs and Players:
D&D Beyond - great resource overall for official content and a free character builder and homebrew builder, all integrated and has a decent mobile app as well.
5e.tools - an unofficial compendium of all the items, creatures, spells, sourcebooks, etc. for D&D - an incredible database
roll20.net - one of the better Virtual Tabletop systems and database of D&D info
r/dndnext
r/DMAcademy
[url]https://rpgbot.net/[/URL] - a thorough overview of every Class through the lens of character optimization. Helpful for guiding progression decisions and learning about how you might want to play your PC

Some of my favorite Youtube channels:
Dungeon Craft
Matt Collville
Ginny Di
Dungeon Dudes
DnD Shorts

Last edited:
some FAQs:

What do I need to play?
Mostly time and a cooperative attitude. There are digital dice rollers online (including an integrated one on D&D Beyond) but a set of dice is useful for playing on on a tabletop. The Starter Sets include a full set that can be shared. All the other documents can be sourced (character sheets, modules) online mostly for free.

I heard it takes a long time to play - I'm not sure I've got that right now.
Sessions are usually depicted as epic, 4-6 hour affairs in basements. Granted, this would be great but is the realm of single people and kids. Personally, I've found 2-3 hours per session to be sufficient.

Do I have to do silly voices?
No, but you might want to! Roleplaying is an integral part of the game - D&D is a Role Playing Game - but that doesn't always mean what you think. It's more than silly voices or talking in character. It's more about trying to make the decision your character would in any given situation - which can be 'acted' out or simply described in third person. In my group, some of us fully voice our PCs and some people just describe action.

Is this just Lord of the Rings? B/c I'm not really into that
Cool - you're in luck. The creators of D&D Have really been striving to break out of the High Fantasy, especially since the spike in popularity during COVID. There are all kinds of official settings that are High Fantasy adjacent or not at all. Also, the best par to this game is you can do whatever you want - if you want to make a world with almost no or no Magic at all - have it it! Steampunk robots and flying ships - sure! They even just re-launched the Spelljammer setting which is basically D&D in Space.

I kinda want to play but how do I find a group?
Well, finding and scheduling the time and finding the people are the most difficult parts of playing D&D. Probably your best bet is bring it up with people you already see regularly to see if you can build a group. An optimal group is a DM and 3-4 players, though two players is doable. There are even official rulesets that facilitate Duet playing (DM and one player). More than 5 players can be a little more of a challenge for the DM, especially a new one but it just takes a bit of learning (I've run sessions with 7 players).

Playing with people you know will ease the awkwardness of learning the game and role-playing.

If you've got no familiar options there are gaming clubs and shops that usually host running games. Failing that, if you're desperate you can try to find a virtual group on message boards or on Reddit: Looking for Group. I would not do this.

I want to DM - is it hard?
Yes and no - it does take a little prep and some verve but once you realize the players do literally half the work it's great! Also, if you want to start DMing, I'd run a published short module or One Shot first that might take 2-4 sessions rather than committing yourself to a full open-ended campaign. And stick to the module rather than customizing it right off the bat. Best to learn the basics and basic rules of the game and then start fiddling.

Last edited:
Also it still cracks me up that arguably the biggest D&D nerd in Hollywood is married to Sofia Vergara

I have always been interested in playing, never have found a group that wanted to all dive in together or an experienced crew to let me join.

Not surprised ITC hates "number crunching and pedantry". Me too!

Not surprised ITC hates "number crunching and pedantry". Me too!

actually i love that part of it - i'm the Rules Lawyer of our group but i've learned to keep my mouth shut when playing and be firm but fair as DM.

In my campaign as a PC, I play two characters that inhabit the same body.

One is a Bard, the other is a Bard/Paladin multiclass.

The second character was a result of in-game stuff the DM came up with, not as part of my original character creation.

Haha that's why I don't play d&d. Just takes what I do for a living and makes it less cool

free yourself from the pedantry and be the Chaotic Neutral chaos agent you've always wanted to be

I haven't played for 30 years but the Alice and Wonderland module is the GOAT

Back