• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite unheralded & obscure album?

-Spirit Stereo Frequency by All Night Radio
-The Beach Boys Love You

"Topanga Mansion" - Seafoam Green
"Furnace" - Dead Man Winter
"E Von Dahl Killed the Locals" - The Matches
"Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery" - The Comet is Coming

I'm also a big fan of the Wood Brothers - not sure if they count as obscure, but they are also definitely not mainstream.

Feel like I could post a million of these things, but a few older favorites that were out of print that recently surfaced on streaming that fall more into the "well-known artists later albums/side projects" category rather than total unknowns/obscure:

Chambers Brothers - New Generation

Great Speckled Bird (Canadian folk duo Ian and Sylvia's amazing country rock record, and the first album produced by 20/21 year old Todd Rundgren) - s/t

Lou Christie Sacco - Paint America Love. He is the dude that did that "Lightning Strikes" song as Lou Christie.

Dion and the Belmonts did an amazing record in 1967 called Together Again that I read described as "soaked in heroin and warped doo-wop influences, driven by garage-band drums and fuzzed guitars." It rocks.

Along the same lines, early 60s rock/country star Del Shannon (of "Runaway" fame) has a pretty crazy later 60s album called The Further Adventures of Charles Westover that is a good time. And Chubby Checker's later album "Chequered" is a departure from what you might think of when you think Chubby Checker.

These are a few things that popped into the brain.

This is also fun. I'm a big Vanderslice fan. Never fully locked into Mountain Goats, though they're great, just hasn't ever fully clicked for me that I go to them, but I'm always pleased to hear them.

Last edited:
All my years of posting random tunes have rendered me incapable of determining what is obscure

Along the lines of Richard Buckner (in that people maybe know him, but not enough) I’ve always thought Blaze Foley is really under appreciated. Gurf Morlix and Slaid Cleaves too.

I love Slaid Cleaves. I think my favorite album of his might be the one with songs he did not write.

Ben Branch and the Operation Breadbasket Orchestra and Choir's The Last Request

One of my favorite albums for a few years was Homemade Drugs by The Jim Yoshii Pile-Up. Not for everybody, but it's gloriously depressing. Like right up there with Disintegration by The Cure in terms of depressing content.

Juno also put out two albums that are stellar, unique. If you have three guitarists, chances are you're going to be ok.

That all of this is now 20+ years old tells me that I probably need to get out more.

Back