• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite unheralded & obscure album?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite album that is obscure and not critically acclaimed? Not just a poorly reviewed guilty pleasure record like Nickelback or something, something you think no one else has heard.

I have lots that the average person’s never heard of but many of the posters here know. How about this band called Uniform Motion? They broke up a while ago but have a couple of great album one called “one frame per second” and the other called “Life.” Here is a sample:

https://youtu.be/o7YOdXsL-xs

I have lots that the average person’s never heard of but many of the posters here know. How about this band called Uniform Motion? They broke up a while ago but have a couple of great album one called “one frame per second” and the other called “Life.” Here is a sample:

https://youtu.be/o7YOdXsL-xs

That's great. Thanks for posting.

I'm very out of the loop when it comes to music these days, but an album I've been listening to a lot recently is Chris Bathgate's Salt Year. I have no idea how obscure this is--I guess it can't be that obscure if he's got a Tiny Desk Concert--but I don't recall seeing it mentioned on here. Here's a sample. My favorite song starts at approximately 6 minutes in:

Last edited:
Another album I like that may or may not be obscure is Horse Feathers - House with No Name. Here's my favorite track, Working Poor:

Last edited:
Saw this choir perform approximately 30 years ago at Bucknell University.

Bought this CD at the concert.

41J3SHYC2TL._SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Every now and then when I'm in a certain mood, I'll enjoy listening...here's a more recent video of them...

Always hard to tell how obscure something is on your own. I might say Late of the Pier's only album "Fantasy Black Channel."

I'm also into a decent number of Japanese bands that would be obscure here, but less so in other places.

All my years of posting random tunes have rendered me incapable of determining what is obscure

Along the lines of Richard Buckner (in that people maybe know him, but not enough) I’ve always thought Blaze Foley is really under appreciated. Gurf Morlix and Slaid Cleaves too.

ymmv defining obscure - I posted a rap album that sold 20k copies…22 years ago. I still consider it obscure, this thread was just an excuse for people to share their secret favorite records, the ones you don’t normally bring up in conversation because you assume no one else has ever heard of it.

yeah hard to say what qualifies; i would say none of these are particularly obscure but i dig em:

1/ john frusciante's solo albums -- it's pretty avant garde / all over the place, lots of eletronic stuff, but i mostly dig it. the empyrean is the album that gets the most hype. (plus he also wrote one of my favorite pop/indie songs ever, song to sing when i'm lonely)

2/ first two albums by blake mills are dope (he's mostly a producer, he also played the guitar on rango 2 by vulpeck)

3/ woods (kinda pop folk but also psychadelic jam) is like my fav band of all time, "city sun eater in the river of light" and "with light and love" are prob my two fav albums

4/ guys from the black crowes and jellyfish did a side project called sweet pickle salad, it's awesome. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...wes-jellyfish-juju-hounds-craig-ross.2283580/

Last edited:
Back