• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment

We have one of the easiest pods and schedules of the next 4 years but at what cost?

FWIW ATL and Blacksburg should be good away trips. The '06 ticket mess with VT fans at Groves was my first experience with that fanbase.

I have met cool VT fans in the last ~15 years, so I am assuming a day game there would be fine. I went to Clemson last season and their fanbase was pleasant and lots of families.

What is the recruiting perspective of playing the Techs? I'd like to beat VT and become the dominant school for Va recruits. I'd imagine Atlanta has a lot of good recruits, too.

GT should be an easy road trip for most of our fanbase. Should be easy for me to schedule a family weekend trip or solo flight up.

Well, I guess we avoided Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and BC as a positive and I can drive to these games.

Life in the ACC is a slow death..first lose the annual game against UNC, then lose the annual game against State.

Really hard not to be disappointed.

GT should be an easy road trip for most of our fanbase. Should be easy for me to schedule a family weekend trip or solo flight up.

Plenty of tickets available at Ga Tech. Last year was their lowest home attendance in over 30 years. And that includes an ACC home opener at Mercedes-Benz against UNC-CH and a home sellout against Georgia that was literally 80% Georgia fans.

2026 is maybe the weakest slate of home conference games I can remember lol.

Full schedule might be worse with the non con:

2026: Home – BC, Duke, UVA, VT, Northern Illinois, Liberty; Away – GT, UL, Miami, UNC, Purdue, Army

Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse
Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State
Duke: North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest
Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest
Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia
Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Virginia
NC State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina
Pitt: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pitt
Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest
Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech

That fucking blows

How does Duke keep the big the 4?

I bet you weren't expecting the math to be done this quickly, but only 8 conference games leaves the door wide open for a big mess.

Three undefeated teams in December would be good for the ACC. They kind of messed up that Clemson is only in one of those 9 possibilities.

Honestly, this is a much more interesting schedule than we've had the past few years. I've been bored to shit the past few seasons by playing Cuse, UL, and BC every year. Giving up State each year in order to break that up is a trade I'm willing to make.

Honestly, this is a much more interesting schedule than we've had the past few years. I've been bored to shit the past few seasons by playing Cuse, UL, and BC every year. Giving up State each year in order to break that up is a trade I'm willing to make.

I agree, and I'd add that Duke every year is boring, too. Would much rather have State than them since that actually feels like a rivalry with stakes.

I agree. Playing the teams in our current division was getting very boring. while I would like annual games with UNC and NCSU, at least in this model we will get interesting (at least to me) match ups like Miami and UVA. Add in some potential OOC games against Pac-12 / Big-10 teams in future years via the scheduling alliance and we will get a more holistically interesting schedule.

I agree, and I'd add that Duke every year is boring, too. Would much rather have State than them since that actually feels like a rivalry with stakes.

Of course. Good and great programs don't look to play as weak a schedule as possible. The program benefits from playing high-profile games against good opponents. Losing Clemson as a every year rival was expected, but losing State does not help. Playing GT in front of a ton of empty seats is not going to help the program.

Also, please don't make the argument that playing GT (or VT) is going to help recruiting in that state. On the list of things that influences recruits playing a game in their home state every other year is not on the list. Remember the claim that playing the game at Rice a few years ago was going to help WF's recruiting in Texas. Please. There has never been a recruit that picked a school because of their future road schedule. Recruits pick a school because of the staff, the facilities, the trajectory of the program, the big games that they play. No GA recruit is going to add WF to his possible schools of interest because WF will play at Booby Dodd every other year now.

We play BC/UL/Syracuse and Duke this year - you guys are going to be bored out of your minds like me watching Paw Patrol with my 3-year old or something.

And I am not going to Blacksburg for a game. No chance. We have not won a game there in 40 years - how are we so sure we will in 2023?

And I am not driving and staying overnight in freakin' Atlanta - sorry, not happening. That Paul McCartney traffic was nothing compared to Hotlanta.

Clemson has a lot of families and are so nice to us and so inviting, because they know they are going to beat us. If we were Alabama, they would not be as nice.

We play BC/UL/Syracuse and Duke this year - you guys are going to be bored out of your minds like me watching Paw Patrol with my 3-year old or something.

And I am not going to Blacksburg for a game. No chance. We have not won a game there in 40 years - how are we so sure we will in 2023?

I'm not happy with the new schedule either, but the thing about sports is, you never know what will happen. That is why I watch sports instead of Paw Patrol

WF is 2-2 in Blacksburg over the last 40 years.

Last edited:
Back