• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment

I'm in Atlanta, so perhaps I am overly excited about seeing the Deacs in my hometown every other year. I will say as far as GT being down - I don't think it will be forever. Geoff Collins may not be the guy, but they will make the changes to build the program.

Wake is gonna be undefeated and left out of the CFP because our schedule isn't strong enough. thanks, ACC.

buddy sent this

qQI9zMkMDaD3.jpg

I would have obviously preferred UNC or NC State over Virginia Tech but it could have been worse. Wake's football goals should include a decent bowl every year and a shot at the ACC title. I don't see us ever winning a football national title or reaching the finals at the national level. At least not in the current system.

I'm not sure why most of you don't recognize this, but not having to travel to Pitt is a good thing.

People joked last year about Wake going undefeated and missing the CFP, but now that we don't play Clemson every year that actually seems like a real possibility. It's not really something worth being concerned about if we're being honest, but there are going to be years where we have a really really weak ACC schedule based on the 5 rotating teams that we play.

fwiw, the State board also recognizes the end of our long streak against each other and is contemplating a non-con game - even looking at schedules when we both have non-con games (including who is home/away) so we can buyout current opponent and play each other without disrupting the number of home games we have.

GT has NEVER fit well into the ACC, especially in FB. When Bobby Cremins was there they were a big part of the ACC basketball cache, but when he retired that went pffft and has never returned. They've always been an outlier with no true rivalries in FB. In FB we've never been anybody's #1 rival in spite of our much improved performances since the Grobe era. If you ask anybody from UNC, State or Duke who their rivals are they'll pick each other because of the history and the proximity. Although I wish the traditional "Big Four" were somehow preserved, I'm ok with Duke, GT and VT because I think that's a winnable pod most years. The true rivalries in ACC football are only two, FSU v Miami, Clemson v FSU. Those are the 3 "National" reputation powers in our conference. Nobody else ever won a National championship except GT under Bobby Ross and that was a one off in the 80's. Nobody else ever really contended in a op 25 way on an annual basis. I think if WFU is ever going to become a traditional national rep program we will need this pod to help us get there each year. Less than 6 conference wins a year won't be enough to make any headlines or polls.

There are no pods.

I wish we were playing State instead of GT, but we still see them every other year on average.

It does seem inequitable that Duke gets all 3 NC opponents and we're left with 1. It would have been so easy, and logical, to switch NC State and GT. That way, each NC team plays 2 in-state opponents: Wake gets State and Duke, UNC gets State and Duke, Duke gets Wake and UNC, and State gets Wake and UNC.

Last edited:
Well we're not going to see State in the ACC Championship Game.

There are no pods.

I wish we were playing State instead of GT, but we still see them every other year on average.

It does seem inequitable that Duke gets all 3 NC opponents and we're left with 1. It would have been so easy, and logical, to switch NC State and GT. That way, each NC team plays 2 in-state opponents: Wake gets State and Duke, UNC gets State and Duke, Duke gets Wake and UNC, and State gets Wake and UNC.

Especially when State and Duke have been playing incredibly rarely under the current format, and State and Wake have played every year since 1910

Especially when State and Duke have been playing incredibly rarely under the current format, and State and Wake have played every year since 1910

Sounds like a great nonconference game to me.

The only problem with playing State as a non-con game is that they usually play well in games that don't matter. We beat them in conference, in part, because of how important it is, and how hard they choke.

Anyone who wants to pretend like we didn't get screwed is lying to themselves.

A) Yeah, we got hosed.
B) We'll still play NCSU and UNC something like every other year on average, right?
C) As previously mentioned, Duke and GT are weak annual opponents, good for more consistently racking up wins.

Nixing divisions was a huge win. Our rivals are not perfect but, overall, more displeased with feeling slighted than our future schedules being a disaster.

The games I don't see being discussed are the five Motre Dame games sprinkled into the ACC games mix. Every year, five ACC teams get a pre-scheduled OOC P5 game with Notre Dame. Makes several teams' years a lot more difficult.

A way in which we've elevated our brand is beating State every year. Additionally, being able to claim we played Clemson every year was good for recruiting.

Anyone who wants to pretend like we didn't get screwed is lying to themselves.

Nah, GT got screwed. Three permanent opponents that have been good and will probably stay good going forward

I’m not as mad about not playing State and Carolina every year under this format. 2 games in 4 years is way better than 2 games every 12 years or whatever the fuck it was under the old system.

Back