• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment

I think losing Clemson and State as permanent opponents is not good for recruiting, our brand, Gameday atmosphere/attendance, or anything else.

I hope I'm proven wrong and our program continues its upward trajectory.

If we have a strong season next year and return a QB people think can take over for Hartman, I think we'll see that mentioned in some regional and national media.

Teams go up and down. Clemson stunk for a long time. FSU and Miami didn't. We all know this.

I kind of like the current weaker schedule. We have plenty of amo to make it through if we win the ACC championship game.

I hope there's another ACC realignment one day and I hope we're included. If the SEC doesn't just buy us all with their pocket change.

I think losing Clemson and State as permanent opponents is not good for recruiting, our brand, Gameday atmosphere/attendance, or anything else.

I hope I'm proven wrong and our program continues its upward trajectory.

I think winning solves all. Our game against state was huge in 2021 because it had big stakes. Our game against state in 2019 didn’t mean shit because state sucked that year.

If we continue to win, we will have big games with big stakes. No matter who we are lining up against.

This helps recruiting in GA and VA which are both states we are more competitive in than NC.

they should add one more team to each of the pods and have 9 conference games. every school can afford to ditch the liberty game on the schedule every year

How does Duke keep the big the 4?

Because UNC and NCSU wanted them: Ws and de facto extra home games at Wade. It's not about what Duke wanted, though I'm sure they're thrilled.

I think winning solves all. Our game against state was huge in 2021 because it had big stakes. Our game against state in 2019 didn’t mean shit because state sucked that year.

If we continue to win, we will have big games with big stakes. No matter who we are lining up against.

This is how I feel.

In the Covid season we were given the hardest schedule. At least we didn’t end up with three hard opponents. We will still play the other rivals with some frequency.

As Wake fans we need to maximize advantageous situations, and today I think we were handed one. It coincides nicely with us hitting our football stride so I’m excited to see what we’ll do with it.

This is how I feel.

In the Covid season we were given the hardest schedule. At least we didn’t end up with three hard opponents. We will still play the other rivals with some frequency.

As Wake fans we need to maximize advantageous situations, and today I think we were handed one. It coincides nicely with us hitting our football stride so I’m excited to see what we’ll do with it.

Lambert and the defense will need to step up in 22 and really step up in 23 to even out that stride. In 22 Wake can continue to be uneven and just outscore opponents.

In 23, I expect the offense to take a step back as Hartman departs and a new QB with limited game experience takes the reins. Also, there will be three or four new Beef Boys starting. Maybe having two new wideouts as Perry and possibly Greene are off to the NFL.

I think this is BS. We’re the best football team in NC and we get left out of the Big 4? Bullshit. I’m not excited about a single one of these opponents and I doubt anyone else is either. I agree that the key is winning, but we got screwed.

they should add one more team to each of the pods and have 9 conference games. every school can afford to ditch the liberty game on the schedule every year

Pods would have been cool because there would be common opponents and something to win. As this is structured I’m not sure it makes anyone care any more about these fixed matchups (outside of any natural rivalries).

Instead, I will learn to detest Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech as much as I did our old division rivals.

Some good memories here…remember beating Reggie Ball (and Megatron!) to go to the Orange Bowl? How about the 0-0 regulation final overtime win? ‘They can’t win if they don’t score’.

Agree with what others have said about looking at this as an opportunity (‘mindset’ right?) and that a winning team is create ‘big games’. Playing Pitt for the ACC championship was bigger than any of our games against UNC or NC State.

It looks like we still play two of the three other Big 4 schools each year, so its not terrible, but I would prefer Duke be one of the teams rotating off rather than the permanent one.

The games I don't see being discussed are the five Motre Dame games sprinkled into the ACC games mix. Every year, five ACC teams get a pre-scheduled OOC P5 game with Notre Dame. Makes several teams' years a lot more difficult.

And don't forget the ACC/Big scheduling partnership!
Seriously, this whole scheduling thing could within a few years be as moot a point as the in-the-moment ACC/Big announcement was. If rumors are even close to true of Miami NIL'ing a QB at a $9MM price tag, the whole concept of conferences and rivalries could be back on it's head sooner than later.

And don't forget the ACC/Big scheduling partnership!
Seriously, this whole scheduling thing could within a few years be as moot a point as the in-the-moment ACC/Big announcement was. If rumors are even close to true of Miami NIL'ing a QB at a $9MM price tag, the whole concept of conferences and rivalries could be back on it's head sooner than later.

ACC is allowing for that by making the new 3-5-5 schedule only applicable for four years. Revisit after the third year of it being in operation.

looking at the new "rivalry" games and how they compare to the last 8 years of normal (non-Covid) ACC scheduling, five schools retained 3 annual rivals that they were already playing, 4 kept 2, and 5 (including WF, of course) kept only 1. In theory, the last 8 years were supposed to create/solidify rivalries.

The schools who kept 1 annual rival:

BC: retained Cuse, traded the rest of the Atlantic and VT for two traditional Big East rivals Miami and Pitt
UL: retained UVA(?), traded the Atlantic for GT and Miami
GT: retained Clemson, traded the Coastal for UL and WF
Miami: retained FSU, traded the Coastal for UL and BC
WF: retained Duke, traded the Atlantic for GT and VT

Looks to me like WF and GT got boned the worst in terms of schedule attractiveness. Would be worse if we kept BC or Cuse but hard to find many worse options.

Teams who kept 2:

NCSU (replaced one in-state rival with a different one)
VT (lost most of the Coastal, picked up WF)
Duke (picked up an in-state rival)
Pitt (picked up BC, lost most of the Coastal)

Teams who kept 3 teams on the annual schedule who they were previously playing every year:

Clemson
FSU
Cuse
UNC
UVA

ACC is allowing for that by making the new 3-5-5 schedule only applicable for four years. Revisit after the third year of it being in operation.

Yeah, realignment is coming. No reason to set a conference schedule for ten years.

Yes we got hosed but I'm excited we get the Clawson/Elko rivalry.

The only problem with playing State as a non-con game is that they usually play well in games that don't matter. We beat them in conference, in part, because of how important it is, and how hard they choke.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if State is interested in a non con game. They have had a cupcake noncon schedule recently.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if State is interested in a non con game. They have had a cupcake noncon schedule recently.

They have played a very weak OOC schedule through most of Doeren's tenure. From what I know, a lot of that was their AD's goal to simply make a bowl game every year, which angered a large contingent of the fanbase.

That said, they have upcoming series with Cincinnati, BYU, Florida, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Georgia (10 years from now).

Back