• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment

last chance for State to win a division title

Oh yeah. State, Cuse, and Louisville (and MD) are the only schools never to win a division championship.

Oh yeah. State, Cuse, and Louisville (and MD) are the only schools never to win a division championship.

On the one hand, I wouldn't wish State's wretched record and unshakable commitment to losing in the most painful way possible on any fanbase. But if ever that was a fanbase that deserved it...

On the one hand, I wouldn't wish State's wretched record and unshakable commitment to losing in the most painful way possible on any fanbase. But if ever that was a fanbase that deserved it...

I actually like NC State and the accompanying fans. They have provided some of our most satisfying football wins over the years.

So bizarre to me that all of a sudden UNC and UVA have this critical football rivalry that must be preserved at all costs. That has never been a thing.

So bizarre to me that all of a sudden UNC and UVA have this critical football rivalry that must be preserved at all costs. That has never been a thing.

100%. Trying to remember the last time that they played a game that mattered even for the title of that putrid division. Even discounting the lack of significance of the game from a ranking or ACC Title standpoint, just don't think of that game as being emotionally charged at all for either fanbase. All of the other NC schools love to beat UNC, and while it's an accepted sentiment that UNC doesn't consider WF a main rival, you could tell that ruining WF's undefeated season meant a lot to the UNC players and fanbase last year. Also, when Jamie Newman trucked the UNC defense in 2019, you tell that the UNC game was huge for the WF players and fanbase that year. UVA is just another opponent for UNC and vice versa.

One minute mark:

Last edited:
IMO, Wake if the real winner in this new scheduling format:

1. The three yearly rivals are all beatable now and for the foreseeable future.

2. They get to play in Georgia, Virginia, and Florida at least every other year (2 on, 2 off in the case of Florida). So the states where Wake will play the most are: North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida. This is great for recruiting. I'll take the fertile recruiting grounds of those states any day over Massachusetts, Kentucky, or Upstate New York.

I’d you asked 1000 college football fans to name “the South’s Oldest Rivalry,” how many would identify UNC/UVA?

Clearly Wake and NCSU fucked up by not giving our rivalry a name, even if it was one no one had ever heard of until this week. “The Old North State Rivalry.” Somebody please go ahead and make a Wikipedia page.

Clearly Wake and NCSU fucked up by not giving our rivalry a name, even if it was one no one had ever heard of until this week. “The Old North State Rivalry.” Somebody please go ahead and make a Wikipedia page.

the wiki page has been there for quite some time (without the nickname)

UNC/UVA is not a "thing". They've played a lot, but so had we and so had us and state. They didn't want us. Don't blame em.

Just beat whoever we play and and all the rest doesn't matter.

UNC/UVA is not a "thing". They've played a lot, but so had we and so had us and state. They didn't want us. Don't blame em.

I think the State fanbase wanted us. Everything I saw on SM included State fans saying they wanted us as a top 3. We got fucked as usual.

I think the State fanbase wanted us. Everything I saw on SM included State fans saying they wanted us as a top 3. We got fucked as usual.

yup - this is what i've seen as well

Since I have massive insomnia, I decided to spend my time surveying general fan base perception of our new “permanent rivalries” about this realignment.

1. Virginia Tech is just as disgusted to have Wake as their opponent as we are to have them. They frequently said things like we are the worst team to get and of course pick us as an easy win. They’re also mad that their whopping 30 year rivalry with Miami is over. Consensus by both fan bases is that outside of playing the less desired team in the states of VA or NC, this is a boring matchup that adds nothing to the schedule.

2. Georgia Tech only minorly more enthused about drawing Wake. Also, based on even less actual evidence than VT, feel that we’re an easy matchup. Fanbase seems genuinely sad that they lost their “rivalry” with Duke, which was surprising. Again, outside of a visit to the other’s state, fanbase agree that this is not a desired matchup.

3. Duke fans seem genuinely thrilled with their schedule of course. I would be too. Half the comments on DBR are about how screwed Wake got in this process and the loss of the Wake- State game. Duke seems happy to play us. Other than the fact that they do nothing to help our SOS and have zero game atmosphere, which could have been balanced out with two other decent opponents, I’d guess our fanbase is happy to keep them too.

State fans seem almost as pissed about losing us as we are about losing them. To their credit, they almost universally wanted us over Duke to protect the rivalry, despite the easier W at Duke.

All in all, it’s impossible to believe that GT or VT we’re asking for Wake. My guess is that the one mutual match we got was Duke. I’d have preferred almost any opponent over the other two outside of possibly Pitt, LV and Cuse. Selfishly, even BC brought out our huge fanbase in that area and felt like an exciting matchup because we’re at least similar schools fanbase wise. That said, I’d obviously have much, much preferred to keep State as a first priority, followed by UNC, then almost any other original ACC team, followed by teams that actually have an exciting fan atmosphere like FSU or Miami and have the potential to boost our SOS. It’s almost universally agreed that we got absolutely hosed here, which surprises me from Currie. I can only conclude that we just have very little social and political capital in this ACC.

Since I have massive insomnia, I decided to spend my time surveying general fan base perception of our new “permanent rivalries” about this realignment.

1. Virginia Tech is just as disgusted to have Wake as their opponent as we are to have them. They frequently said things like we are the worst team to get and of course pick us as an easy win. They’re also mad that their whopping 30 year rivalry with Miami is over. Consensus by both fan bases is that outside of playing the less desired team in the states of VA or NC, this is a boring matchup that adds nothing to the schedule.

2. Georgia Tech only minorly more enthused about drawing Wake. Also, based on even less actual evidence than VT, feel that we’re an easy matchup. Fanbase seems genuinely sad that they lost their “rivalry” with Duke, which was surprising. Again, outside of a visit to the other’s state, fanbase agree that this is not a desired matchup.

3. Duke fans seem genuinely thrilled with their schedule of course. I would be too. Half the comments on DBR are about how screwed Wake got in this process and the loss of the Wake- State game. Duke seems happy to play us. Other than the fact that they do nothing to help our SOS and have zero game atmosphere, which could have been balanced out with two other decent opponents, I’d guess our fanbase is happy to keep them too.

State fans seem almost as pissed about losing us as we are about losing them. To their credit, they almost universally wanted us over Duke to protect the rivalry, despite the easier W at Duke.

All in all, it’s impossible to believe that GT or VT we’re asking for Wake. My guess is that the one mutual match we got was Duke. I’d have preferred almost any opponent over the other two outside of possibly Pitt, LV and Cuse. Selfishly, even BC brought out our huge fanbase in that area and felt like an exciting matchup because we’re at least similar schools fanbase wise. That said, I’d obviously have much, much preferred to keep State as a first priority, followed by UNC, then almost any other original ACC team, followed by teams that actually have an exciting fan atmosphere like FSU or Miami and have the potential to boost our SOS. It’s almost universally agreed that we got absolutely hosed here, which surprises me from Currie. I can only conclude that we just have very little social and political capital in this ACC.

This is made clear by the ACC consistently. Especially now that we are competitive in football. WF is everything a P5 conference does not want. If they could jettison us, they would in 2 seconds.

This is made clear by the ACC consistently. Especially now that we are competitive in football. WF is everything a P5 conference does not want. If they could jettison us, they would in 2 seconds.

MAGNOLIA LEAGUE HERE WE COME!

Back