• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment

ACC wants Wake to be Vanderbilt in football - doormat program that is an easy win for its "big" programs. Good academics, use that as puff pieces for marketing.

We have upset that apple cart, and there is no way they are happy about it.

VT reaction is a perfect example. They have been declining for 10 years. They perceive WF to be an easy win, when Clawson has a winning record against them and they were begging to have him be their coach. We have better recent success than they do. But hey, they got their 11th choice of coach, so things are looking UP!

I really could not care less what VT or GT fans think about our program, but I'm not surprised to hear disappointment that they didn't draw a bigger name. I wouldn't want Wake either: small school, small profile, and will probably beat your ass.

Playing WF is the worst of all worlds for most opponents.

The alums/donors of these schools can't get past that WF had the previous reputation of a football also-ran. The reality is that WF is a pain-in-the-arse to play against, WF plays a funky style that is hard to prepare for, Clawson is a wizard and WF is likely to beat you. An example of this was WF at UVA last year. UVA was favored in that game, and the typical UVA fan expected a home win, and the Deacs went up to C'ville and just pounded them. That loss really had a big impact on UVA's season, and may have even contributed to Bronco's decision to leave (not kidding).

Nothing worse than playing an opponent that your fans habitually under-rate. The team won't get the credit if it beats WF, and the grousing never ends when/if WF beats you. That's why its so odd that WF and State aren't playing any more. I get why VT and GT are annoyed, but State would not be. WF has beaten State to the point where they have accepted WF as a rival and understand the importance of the game. At this point, State fans want to beat WF... badly. Not a lot of other ACC programs feel that way.

Last edited:
Right. Wake and State are accepted rivals. Tech and Duke are accepted rivals. Build on that.

Wake got Tammy Bowden fired and ushered in the age of Dabo. You're welcome.

Playing WF is the worst of all worlds for most opponents.

The alums/donors of these schools can't get past that WF had the previous reputation of a football also-ran. The reality is that WF is a pain-in-the-arse to play against, WF plays a funky style that is hard to prepare for, Clawson is a wizard and WF is likely to beat you. An example of this was WF at UVA last year. UVA was favored in that game, and the typical UVA fan expected a home win, and the Deacs went up to C'ville and just pounded them. That loss really had a big impact on UVA's season, and may have even contributed to Bronco's decision to leave (not kidding).

Nothing worse than playing an opponent that your fans habitually under-rate. The team won't get the credit if it beats WF, and the grousing never ends when/if WF beats you. That's why its so odd that WF and State aren't playing any more. I get why VT and GT are annoyed, but State would not be. WF has beaten State to the point where they have accepted WF as a rival and understand the importance of the game. At this point, State fans want to beat WF... badly. Not a lot of other ACC programs feel that way.

Exactly. We have changed the perception of WF football in the minds of NC State, Duke, and probably FSU and Louisville as well. Now we have an opportunity to do the same thing with the VT and GT fanbases.

Exactly. We have changed the perception of WF football in the minds of NC State, Duke, and probably FSU and Louisville as well. Now we have an opportunity to do the same thing with the VT and GT fanbases.

Not so sure about Wake having changed minds of Louisville fan base. The forget that they had to cheat to get wins over Wake.

Not so sure about Wake having changed minds of Louisville fan base. The forget that they had to cheat to get wins over Wake.

Even that fanbase, which appears...intellectually challenged...cannot reasonably expect the Wake game to be an easy win.

With today’s news out of CA, we probably won’t see year 4 of this schedule.

If we could switch the Duke schedule with our schedule, I would be satisfied. VA tech was forced on this league by the va governor, and I cannot take that fan base. I would never consider going to their stadium for any kind of game. GAtech is of no interest to me what so ever.

If we could switch the Duke schedule with our schedule, I would be satisfied. VA tech was forced on this league by the va governor, and I cannot take that fan base. I would never consider going to their stadium for any kind of game. GAtech is of no interest to me what so ever.

Oh yeah, I agree that Ga Tech is awful.

Oh yeah, I agree that Ga Tech is awful.

We’re always gonna be odd man out when it comes to the 4 NC schools - been that way for 60+ years now. That’s not LoWF- that’s reality. UNC/State are both state schools and Duke/UNC are 8 miles apart. Of course Duke is gonna get the better draw. If we make to this schedule, I for one think it favors us. I would much rather go to Blacksburg, Durham, and Atlanta every other year than Death Valley, Raleigh, Tallahassee, or Chapel Hill. Just too much working against us in those other venues and GT/VT are driveable from W-S.

This is all such a cute hypothetical discussion at this point. As of today, the ACC is like the US in 1940...hoping that all the "noise" overseas would just magically go away and things would continue to be as they've always been.

The part I struggle with is that we are being told all of this is being driven by tv viewership. More tv viewers equals more money, and that’s the sole criteria that drives all decisions, right? Ok, let’s look at that: UNC vs Duke football drew 303,000 viewers last year. Wake vs. UNC drew 2.2 million. If you follow that math, we would generate MORE total viewers playing UNC once every SEVEN years (which is about as often as we play them) as Duke would attract in aggregate playing UNC every year in between.

If you are in this to make the most money and the way to do that is to maximize your audience size, what should have happened seems pretty obvious.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Viewership more of an issue when teams are relevant and the only option. Getting USC AND UCLA helps because that is the college market for LA, but getting Rutgers doesn't get the NYC market and getting MD doesn't get the DC market. Getting Northwestern doesn't get the Chicago market either, but having every team in the area does.

Back