• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Offices moving to Charlotte?

How much is Maryland laughing at us?

Honestly, I’d bet most Maryland fans would go back to the 2000s in the ACC based purely on how much they enjoyed following Md athletics.

Honestly, I’d bet most Maryland fans would go back to the 2000s in the ACC based purely on how much they enjoyed following Md athletics.

And how much they enjoy getting crushed in B1G FB and hoops. But F that bunch of aholes

Dumb thread. GSO serves 1.5 million people. You going to change planes wherever the fuck you go. GSO has plenty direct flights.

Yeah, I'm sure the school loves all that conference money they're getting, but my guess is the fan base doesn't love being regular cannon fodder for the better Big 10 teams in football and basketball. Under Gary Williams Maryland had a great rivalry with Duke. Who is their rival in the Big 10 that the fans actually care about? Anybody? Maryland and Nebraska and WVU are all good examples of the downside to jumping to conferences that you really have no geographic connection or history with.

Yeah, I'm sure the school loves all that conference money they're getting, but my guess is the fan base doesn't love being regular cannon fodder for the better Big 10 teams in football and basketball. Under Gary Williams Maryland had a great rivalry with Duke. Who is their rival in the Big 10 that the fans actually care about? Anybody? Maryland and Nebraska and WVU are all good examples of the downside to jumping to conferences that you really have no geographic connection or history with.

Md's athletic dep't was broke. The Terps really had no choice but to chase the bucks. The new rival is Penn State. Given their choice the fans would have stayed, but there was always some discomfort being in a conference dominated by the NC schools. `

Yeah, I grew up in Maryland (Severna Park, just north of Annapolis) and went to Wake (class of '82--Yup, I'm old). Was always a Terp fan until I went to Wake, but after that they were still my second favorite ACC team. Never occurred to me that the Terps would leave the ACC. They don't feel like a BIG-whavetever team at all, and the Maryland fan base will never care about traveling to Ann Arbor or East Lansing. We used to go to UVA or UNC for a football game every once in a while and it was fun even if we lost. Just jump in the car and go. Or schlep on down to Cole Field house to watch the Terps play any of the other 7 ACC teams. You knew all he players on the Terps or the other teams, they stayed for four years, and it was great fun. Hell, Tom McMillan used to come into Riordan's in Annapolis and shoot the breeze with me (you could tend bar at 18 in those days) and the pretty barmaid until closing time (2:00 am back in the day). Ah, those days are gone. It's too bad.

Md's athletic dep't was broke. The Terps really had no choice but to chase the bucks. The new rival is Penn State. Given their choice the fans would have stayed, but there was always some discomfort being in a conference dominated by the NC schools. `

Didn’t they also have to cut a ton of sports just to pay the buyout?

Greensboro really isn't that nice. I know there really isn't that many people on the ACC's staff but from an outward perspective this Charlotte modernizes the conference.

How is it going to improve the TV contract? Get more OOC wins? Get more teams into the NCAAT?

I have no idea why so much time and money has been spent on this. I still don’t know why it matters at all.

Back