• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Need a guy who can rig a frogger machine so that I can moveit without losing power

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd still like an explanation/argument for why "legality is unclear" == "i don't need to make the case for this being bad for the volunteers"

because the only way i can get from point A to point B on that one is "if it's illegal it is bad for them", and that's why I (and diggler) jumped to the weed parallel, because that clearly doesn't hold (unless you also think weed is bad for people!)

i don't know what the answer is to cookout but something about the arrangement feels wrong

i'm going to pick up my own sandwich since no homeless people with bikes presented themselves at my office; I will be back in 15 min to win this thing.

I gotta prep for class but I don't think paying people in funny money to work for you is good when you are a for-profit business. I could come back after class and expand on some reasons why but coming after me on the whole legality of it feels a little tangential since I was just explaining why I hadn't offered up good arguments in advance (which I was admitting)

Something tells me we'll be talking about something else tho

i don't know what the answer is to cookout but something about the arrangement feels wrong

He didn't buy old people getting injured so I'll have to think on it during class but maybe he's right maybe this is great!

Interested in an earnest, non tunnels discussion of the Atlantic article: https://www.theatlantic.com/newslet...uber-ride-share-prices-high-inflation/661250/

Seems relevant to our daily palma complaints about the price of Uber. I have thoughts but I won’t weigh in yet.

My wife’s last day of work is Friday because as a government employee having two kids in daycare was almost a losing proposition.

The next biggest expense was DoorDash/Uber Eats several times a week because nobody wants to start cooking at 6:30 after a long day at work.

We may end up in the net positive.

I gotta prep for class but I don't think paying people in funny money to work for you is good when you are a for-profit business. I could come back after class and expand on some reasons why but coming after me on the whole legality of it feels a little tangential since I was just explaining why I hadn't offered up good arguments in advance (which I was admitting)

Yeah I mean it does feel a little sketch and I can see how you'd be wary of a slippery slope on this kind of thing, but we're not talking full-time (or even meaningful part-time) work here

I do think the race-day volunteers thing is extremely similar, you just don't see it as often because races and whatnot don't happen enough to bring attention to it

also I wasn't coming after you, just explaining why the weed thing was even brought up because it initially looked like that was your argument (the legality of the process)

My wife’s last day of work is Friday because as a government employee having two kids in daycare was almost a losing proposition.

The next biggest expense was DoorDash/Uber Eats several times a week because nobody wants to start cooking at 6:30 after a long day at work.

We may end up in the net positive.

sounds like she and the kids might be interested in a fun volunteering opportunity

If anyone wants to see the original FB post with the address not censored

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjk...ers-to-work-for-5-chicken-sandwiches-per-hour

Also, what is the point of following a particular fast food franchise on FB? To see if they’re doing some benefit night for the local high school?

honestly i would bet facebook probably auto-throws them into feeds based on your location and if you're ever put "chik-fil-a" in your likes section back in the day

you know I've always thought chik-fil-a's were not actual franchises, but TIL

well, thought it was more like cookout, where corporate kept all control and just hired people as store managers or whatever

I think CFA is real strict about its franchisees in terms of cash on hand, having worked at one, and I think you can only own one. I went to elementary and middle school with a girl whose dad owned a lot of the local McD's and they were mega rich.

but based on the title and subtitle, it appears the article is referencing how all that silicon valley cash that subsidized the uber rides and hello fresh meals and door dash costs and all of that has dried up

the golden age of silicon valley subsidizing my life timed pretty well for me given my income, student status, etc. at the time it was in full throttle

a little light on scrutinizing how VC spending, focused on cheap customer acquisition and getting subs before making a functional product, creates completely antiprofitable companies and awful labor practices.

seems to sorta point the finger at the fed. money was too cheap and then you made it dry up when you raised rates!

why is finance never blamed for continually fucking up

and the conclusion of teh read was "The Millennial Consumer Subsidy is over, and for the foreseeable future, metro residents will have to go about living the old-fashioned way: by paying what things actually cost."

which is as eyeroll as it gets; silicon valley is inventing these frivolous conveniences based on what they think millennials want rather than developing products for a market the old fashioned way, by paying what things actually cost.

They are notoriously selective in awarding franchises. Lots of rules about how many you can operate, what your finances look like, where you can locate. I know multiple stories of preachers who were determined not to be up to their standard

Yeah I mean it does feel a little sketch and I can see how you'd be wary of a slippery slope on this kind of thing, but we're not talking full-time (or even meaningful part-time) work here

I do think the race-day volunteers thing is extremely similar, you just don't see it as often because races and whatnot don't happen enough to bring attention to it

This is the real argument, IMO. It would be really bad for workers generally if we allowed employers to compensate them in anything other than money, which would inevitably lead to some portion of employees being under compensated. Employee undercompensation in the wake of the Great Depression is what led to the enactment of the FLSA in the first place. Laws, by their nature, are always going to be rough justice, so even though the CFA situation isn't really exploitation (or, at least, not meaningfully so), it has to be prevented it if you are going to avoid exploitation generally.

Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back