• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
https://theathletic.com/3403878/202...rest-dave-clawson/?source=user_shared_article

“…During the game, Terry squared off against Sheldon Rankins, a future first-round defensive tackle and one of the toughest assignments Terry drew in his career. Late in the third quarter, with Wake Forest leading 10-7, Ruggiero decided it was time for the new play — Terry thinks the play call had “chuck” in the name — and quarterback John Wolford yelled it at the line.

Terry says Rankins took a knee and hollered, “Shovel pass is coming! Shovel pass is coming!” Terry was stunned. “I had Sheldon Rankins that play — I had to block him,” Terry says. “So when he said that, it’s like going into war and someone knowing where your bunker is. What the hell do I do?”

Just a true freshman, Terry wondered: “Can I call a timeout right now and still be on scholarship?”

He decided to snap the ball. Rankins blew past Terry’s right shoulder, ignoring Wolford and the running back headed left. Rankins settled in front of the receiver peeling back and picked off the shovel pass as if he was the target all along.

Louisville scored a touchdown a few plays later and held on for a 20-10 win…”

Seems like a whole new trove of details - and going back a few years as well. Amazing how easily this got swept under the rug, when it clearly affected Wake for several years. The former player's quotes are amazing. Elrod is the biggest piece of shit to ever be associated with Wake Forest, and that is saying a lot.

Seems like a whole new trove of details - and going back a few years as well. Amazing how easily this got swept under the rug, when it clearly affected Wake for several years. The former player's quotes are amazing. Elrod is the biggest piece of shit to ever be associated with Wake Forest, and that is saying a lot.
I still contend there was more to this that was swept under the rug and never fully investigated.

Last edited:
Tom Elrod can honestly go fuck himself. Fuck that guy. Put our players health at risk just because of his fucking feelings.

Good on Clawson for participating with a deep dive into this story. It's a hell of a narrative, keeps Wake in the minds of people during the offseason, and really highlights the kind of success we've had since Elrod fucked us.

I actually thought it was pretty underwhelming -- not much new and the article just kinda ended when it seemed like there were more threads to follow regarding Elrod and the coaches that participated from other teams that continue to have jobs, many of whom got much better jobs over the years

expected more from the Athletic, of which I'm a big fan

There is more coming tomorrow per The Athletic's morning e-mail:

"How a series of stolen plays became one of the more puzzling acts of revenge in the history of college football. Yes, it's the inside story of 'WakeyLeaks.' (More on this tomorrow.)"

I actually thought it was pretty underwhelming -- not much new and the article just kinda ended when it seemed like there were more threads to follow regarding Elrod and the coaches that participated from other teams that continue to have jobs, many of whom got much better jobs over the years

expected more from the Athletic, of which I'm a big fan
Agree about that - it brings up way more questions than answers. I never understood why Clawson wanted to move on so fast from it, instead of scorched earth with Swofford and the ACC. Probably his only card to play at the time, but its clear, he has not forgotten.

Huge piece of shit, but somehow still lives in WS. The article says it best, if this was Clemson or Georgia, there would be holy hell, but because its Wake, its a small story. He put players at risk, he wasted seasons, all because he wasn't retained, and yet he faces no criminal or civil penalties.

What an asshole.

There is more coming tomorrow per The Athletic's morning e-mail:

"How a series of stolen plays became one of the more puzzling acts of revenge in the history of college football. Yes, it's the inside story of 'WakeyLeaks.' (More on this tomorrow.)"

yeah, I saw that and read it as "more about this in the email tomorrow" -- hope there is another article (or two)

Huge piece of shit, but somehow still lives in WS. The article says it best, if this was Clemson or Georgia, there would be holy hell, but because its Wake, its a small story. He put players at risk, he wasted seasons, all because he wasn't retained, and yet he faces no criminal or civil penalties.

What an asshole.

Telling detail that he grew up the son of a Disney executive. Prick thought he was entitled to keep his job through a coaching change and decided to fuck over 18 and 19 year olds that HE FUCKING RECRUITED all to satisfy his impotent white male rage.

I've always thought Wake responded way too calmly about this. If it happened at another school, they would still be screaming about it. And they would be right.

Not long after this happened, my nephew was playing on a little league team with Elrod's kid, he was one to the coaches and when during one game he went over to talk to the other team's coach. My 75 year old mom whispered to me "I hope he doesn't tell them all our plays."

I've always thought Wake responded way too calmly about this. If it happened at another school, they would still be screaming about it. And they would be right.

Not long after this happened, my nephew was playing on a little league team with Elrod's kid, he was one to the coaches and when during one game he went over to talk to the other team's coach. My 75 year old mom whispered to me "I hope he doesn't tell them all our plays."

Honestly, he shouldn’t be coaching shit. The fact that he put players health at risk is an overlooked point. Complete piece of shit human.

Honestly, he shouldn’t be coaching shit. The fact that he put players health at risk is an overlooked point. Complete piece of shit human.

I totally agree. I wouldn't let my son play on his team but my son is a golfer so it wasn't an issue.

I always figured it was partly because the biggest culprit was someone we employed (vs. something like the patriots and spygate)

Pretty sure I wouldn't let my kid anywhere near that asshat.

If I happened to run into this guy in public I'm certain I'd have words for him. I mean if this were Tuscaloosa he'd be in a safe house. I don't advocate violence. But he should be made as uncomfortable as possible during daily life.

Who in Winston would employ that bastard? I don't think it's out of bounds to let them know your feelings either. Anyone know where he works? I'll write a letter to them.

If I happened to run into this guy in public I'm certain I'd have words for him. I mean if this were Tuscaloosa he'd be in a safe house. I don't advocate violence. But he should be made as uncomfortable as possible during daily life.

So you are not advocating for violence... just mostly peaceful (or largely peaceful) assault?

Isn't junior Beamer, the latest "savior" of South Carolina football, one of the recipients of Elrod's information?

Isn't junior Beamer, the latest "savior" of South Carolina football, one of the recipients of Elrod's information?

Yep. Had to forfeit some pay IIRC. And you and I both know that if Junior knew, Daddy knew too.

Back