• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

Again, Elrod really screwed up. It was immoral what he did. I was wrong to assume this was fake news initially. It turned out it wasn't fake news.

None of that, however, changes the reality that more protocols should have been put in place to prevent this. Now that we have learned Elrod wanted to continue coaching and we cut him off, we (namely Wellman) should not have given him such access to assist his buddies in the hopes of getting more jobs.

Changing the subject to one of the following does not take away from my point:
(1) But Elrod was really evil.
(2) But you have red hair and you are cocky
(3) But you initially didn't believe the reports
(4) But you were under the wrong impression Elrod didn't want to continue coaching
(5) But you're an asshole
(6) But this really sucks
(7) But we really suck
(8) But Wes Miller sucks and Steve Forbes just won the ACC (or at least the improvement award)
(9) But ManMan really is smart
(10) But you must be a racist
(11) But you are at the British Open, so your silence means you are wrong

I dunno, seems like "But you initially didn't believe the reports" takes away from this point a bit:
I was falsely called an Elrod defender.

There was nothing false in that label. Either your aspirational lust for insider affirmation overwhelmed your common sense, or maybe you just love seeing your name in the paper. Either way, you shot your shot and missed.

Yes, I realized that after my post. I also left out such "Tier 3" school/alum arguments such as:

(1) You went to Duke Law School. So you suck.
(2) Cameron Indoor is a dump
(3) K is a cheater
(4) You are fat.
(5) You haven't been laid in 2 hours
(6) You are short
(7) You wear shorts
(8) We loved finishing last in the Prosser era. When the Joel "rocked"

Re (5): Just b/c you wear a glove doesn't mean you are getting laid by a different person every 2 hours. Keep cranking though; its exciting for you and makes it seem as though there is another person involved.

I’m at the Mt Tabor - Reynolds game tonight. Reynolds has played at least three people at QB but the one who caught my attention? #5 Tommy Elrod. (He’s not very good.)

I’m at the Mt Tabor - Reynolds game tonight. Reynolds has played at least three people at QB but the one who caught my attention? #5 Tommy Elrod. (He’s not very good.)

Reynolds’s football isn’t very good

Jesus really? How can they show face in town?

I still contend there was more to that situation and still not convinced part of it wasn't criminal. Have ZERO proof of that but it sure seemed the dude was fixing games. I know Wake didn't want to pursue. I'm sure there are/were valid reasons.

What a pitiful article, barely worthy of the name. This is as far as the writer could go? How about asking the NCAA for their take?
The NCAA has been pretty much silent on the Michigan thing (as well as everything else of significance over the last 50 years); no way they take a position much less comment on Wake's situation. The double-standard speak for itself; credit to this guy just for reminding those who may have forgotten. And don't be surprised if Michigan uses the lack of penalties for the Wakeyleak-involved schools as a defense of why a little sign-stealing is not worthy of punishment.

Last edited:
The key combining these two scandals is known cheater Shane Beamer. Get him on a witness stand. In addition the weakness Wake showed in Wakeyleaks was ridiculous. We should have sued coaches, institutions, and conferences and the NCAA. The stupid $25,000 fines for these crimes were no deterrent for the criminals participating in current and future cheating.

The NCAA has been pretty much silent on the Michigan thing (as well as everything else of significance over the last 50 years); no way they take a position much less comment on Wake's situation. The double-standard speak for itself; credit to this guy just for reminding those who may have forgotten. And don't be surprised if Michigan uses the lack of penalties for the Wakeyleak-involved schools as a defense of why a little sign-stealing is not worthy of punishment.
Very good points, it's just frustrating that so few writers really go into any depth on these and other important topics. For all we learned from this piece it hardly seems worth the effort to have published it.

Back