Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98

Thread: ACC Media Days....

  1. #1

    ACC Media Days....

    Never one to start a thread but didn't see one on this topic. Great interviews today by Clawson and our players. Very proud of Clawson and our players.
    The coronation of NC State is quite absurd. Apparently, there is no reason to play the games as State will be the champion.


  2. #2
    I was listening to Ovies and Giglio yesterday and was surprised it was being framed as a toss up between State and Clemson for favorite. State is just not winning in Death Valley, IMO.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePritchard View Post
    I was listening to Ovies and Giglio yesterday and was surprised it was being framed as a toss up between State and Clemson for favorite. State is just not winning in Death Valley, IMO.
    Why did it surprise you? I would've been surprised if that wasn't the narrative. Clemson is Clemson, we've got to show we can compete with them and State is everybody's preseason darling.
    boorish ruffian

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePritchard View Post
    I was listening to Ovies and Giglio yesterday and was surprised it was being framed as a toss up between State and Clemson for favorite. State is just not winning in Death Valley, IMO.
    The OG radio show is based in Raleigh and even when state sucks they get alot of love from these two alums.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by liveanddiedeac View Post
    Why did it surprise you? I would've been surprised if that wasn't the narrative. Clemson is Clemson, we've got to show we can compete with them and State is everybody's preseason darling.
    I wasn't surprised Wake wasn't mentioned. I did not know State was everybody's media darling. I don't consume all offseason college football content, listen to the radio broadcast while attending Spring game in person, respond to every single post of every single football thread like it was addressed me personally, etc.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePritchard View Post
    I wasn't surprised Wake wasn't mentioned. I did not know State was everybody's media darling. I don't consume all offseason college football content, listen to the radio broadcast while attending Spring game in person, respond to every single post of every single football thread like it was addressed me personally, etc.
    I didn't mean any offense, just that until something major changes at Clemson, they are always going to be the favorites in our division (won't matter after this year) and we're never going to be the annual "media darling" coming into the season. I caught Doren on the ACC Media Days show on the ACC Network last night and Packer was playing up the ACC title game is on Doren's birthday and it could be fate, blah, blah, blah.
    boorish ruffian

  7. #7
    Our players like the underdog role so I hope we get picked in the third-to-middle of the Atlantic to light a fire.
    We will be in the 14-22 in the national rankings which is more important than preseason conference picks.

  8. #8
    Some things never change. Year after year our recruiting classes are ranked at the bottom of the ACC and we are picked to finish at or near the bottom of our division - and year after year we outperform those predictions. If anyone in the sports media had any sense they would do a study of results versus predictions over the past decade plus and at least write an article about it... and maybe adjust the way they think about LOWF every pre-season...

  9. #9
    Sam Hartman and Coach Clawson on length of mesh point.

    https://twitter.com/joeovies/status/...n5JNXOqfw&s=09

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    Some things never change. Year after year our recruiting classes are ranked at the bottom of the ACC and we are picked to finish at or near the bottom of our division - and year after year we outperform those predictions. If anyone in the sports media had any sense they would do a study of results versus predictions over the past decade plus and at least write an article about it... and maybe adjust the way they think about LOWF every pre-season...
    Mark Richt was laughing at himself for last year's prediction (2nd) which he didn't think Wake could exceed - but Wake did!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    Some things never change. Year after year our recruiting classes are ranked at the bottom of the ACC and we are picked to finish at or near the bottom of our division - and year after year we outperform those predictions. If anyone in the sports media had any sense they would do a study of results versus predictions over the past decade plus and at least write an article about it... and maybe adjust the way they think about LOWF every pre-season...
    I do hear you as this is the perpetual WFU narrative but do you really think we will be picked at or near the bottom of the Atlantic? We won’t.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacDaddy View Post
    I do hear you as this is the perpetual WFU narrative but do you really think we will be picked at or near the bottom of the Atlantic? We won’t.
    Third at best. Fourth by those who think one of Louisville/ FSU will be good. Fifth by those who think both will be good.

  13. #13
    clem's son
    wolpfack
    Wake

  14. #14
    I'd be absolutely floored if we get projected anywhere but 3rd in the Atlantic. And putting aside the pro-Wake bias for a moment, it's a pretty fair and legitimate preseason projection.

    Wake narrowly beat State at home and lost at Clemson last year. State narrowly beat Clemson at home and lost to Wake. Clemson beat Wake at home and lost at NC State last year. The only of those three football games that wasn't a close game was Wake/Clemson.

    If anyone but State/Clemson get projected higher than Wake, I will understand outrage from Wake fans, but getting projected as preseason third in the division seems fair, although it lacks the typical overranking and hype that a division winner the previous year often receives for the next year.

  15. #15
    State is definitely going to pull some NC state shit and lose some game they shouldn’t lose in real stupid fashion. Only question is will it be FSU at home, @Syracuse, or @UNC.

  16. #16
    Last year is instructive, but the teams aren't the same. The analysis isn't as easy as Clemson/State/WF.

    State lost the best OL in college football (based on the NFL draft), two productive RBs (Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person), their leading receiver (Emeka Emezie), a stud LB Levi Jones, another OL Chandler Zavala, and their best punter since Johnny Evans (Trenton Gill). Understand that WF lost some solid players too (Tom, Roberson, Taylor, Masterson), but to me, State clearly lost more talent than WF. Understand that WF plays at State this year, and the home teams have generally controlled the series, but lately, WF has been more likely to win at State than vice versa. Don't see State's roster as significantly better in 2022, but maybe they have more depth than it appears. Feel like the floor for State's season is below WF.

    Clemson returns a ton (and gets healthy) from perhaps college football's second best defense last year. If the Clemson's QB simply does not suck (that's a big "IF" because he was terrible), Clemson is the ACC heavy favorite this year.

    Also, BC and FSU are improved. They had QB issues due to COVID and injuries, but if those issues are behind them, think both those teams are much better. Feel like Malik Cunningham has been at L'ville forever. When he is rolling, the Cardinals can put up points on everyone. Cuse is ALWAYS a tough out in the Dome. After Clemson, think the division is a dog fight, and believe WF has as good a chance as anyone to be the 2nd best team in the division, but wouldn't be surprised if any of 4 teams finished 2nd in the Atlantic.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 07-21-2022 at 02:11 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Last year is instructive, but the teams aren't the same. The analysis isn't as easy as Clemson/State/WF.

    State lost the best OL in college football (based on the NFL draft), two productive RBs (Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person), their leading receiver (Emeka Emezie), a stud LB Levi Jones, another OL Chandler Zavala, and their best punter since Johnny Evans (Trenton Gill). Understand that WF lost some solid players too (Tom, Roberson, Taylor, Masterson), but to me, State clearly lost more talent than WF. Understand that WF plays at State this year, and the home teams have generally controlled the series, but lately, WF has been more likely to win at State than vice versa. Also, Clemson returns a ton (and gets healthy) from perhaps college football's second best defense last year. If the Clemson's QB simply does not suck (that's a big "IF" because he was terrible), Clemson is the ACC heavy favorite this year. Don't see State's roster as significantly better in 2022, but maybe they have more depth than it appears. Feel like the floor for State's season is below WF.

    Also, BC and FSU are improved. They had QB issues due to COVID and injuries, but if those issues are behind them, think both those teams are much better. Feel like Malik Cunningham has been at L'ville forever. When he is rolling, the Cardinals can put up points on everyone. Cuse is ALWAYS a tough out in the Dome. After Clemson, think the division is a dog fight, and believe WF has as good a chance as anyone to be the 2nd best team in the division, but wouldn't be surprised if any of 4 teams finished 2nd in the Atlantic.
    I wouldn't be shocked if State struggles more than expected on offense. Emezie was a huge safety net for Leary. Unless some of their other receivers REALLY improve, they might have some trouble moving the ball.

    Clemson should just run the ball with an occasional play action pass. Their defense is so good that if they just play the field position game, they should win most of their games 24-10.

  18. #18
    I think, for Wake, this biggest question to be answered is what our new defensive staff will bring to the party. Last year's inconsistency drove us all nuts, including Clawson. We win the UNC game by a ton with any decent defense. Still would have lost to Clemson.

    If we can somehow manage to field a serviceable defense, I think Wake has a very legitimate shot at the division. We'll need breaks to go our way and to stay healthy. Clemson no doubt has the studs to dominate and should be the preseason favorite on paper. But I think losing Venables was a huge loss that is being underestimated by some in the media. Couldn't stand his sideline antics but the guy is one hell of a defensive coach.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Last year is instructive, but the teams aren't the same. The analysis isn't as easy as Clemson/State/WF.

    State lost the best OL in college football (based on the NFL draft), two productive RBs (Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person), their leading receiver (Emeka Emezie), a stud LB Levi Jones, another OL Chandler Zavala, and their best punter since Johnny Evans (Trenton Gill). Understand that WF lost some solid players too (Tom, Roberson, Taylor, Masterson), but to me, State clearly lost more talent than WF. Understand that WF plays at State this year, and the home teams have generally controlled the series, but lately, WF has been more likely to win at State than vice versa. Don't see State's roster as significantly better in 2022, but maybe they have more depth than it appears. Feel like the floor for State's season is below WF.

    Clemson returns a ton (and gets healthy) from perhaps college football's second best defense last year. If the Clemson's QB simply does not suck (that's a big "IF" because he was terrible), Clemson is the ACC heavy favorite this year.

    Also, BC and FSU are improved. They had QB issues due to COVID and injuries, but if those issues are behind them, think both those teams are much better. Feel like Malik Cunningham has been at L'ville forever. When he is rolling, the Cardinals can put up points on everyone. Cuse is ALWAYS a tough out in the Dome. After Clemson, think the division is a dog fight, and believe WF has as good a chance as anyone to be the 2nd best team in the division, but wouldn't be surprised if any of 4 teams finished 2nd in the Atlantic.
    If you’re gonna include the punter for State then you definitely have to include us losing Sciba as a gigantic loss.

  20. #20
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,460
    Clemson’s offensive line got better as the year went on. They should be #1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •