• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

WF men's soccer plays its first exhibition match this evening at Coastal Carolina. The Deacs play their second and last exhibition match on Saturday when WV visits Spry Stadium.

1-1 draw. Coastal is a perennial NCAA tourney team, and their current iteration is a solid squad. It appears we missed a PK in the first half and Roald scored our goal in the second.

@Fayettenam...which newcomers are you keeping an eye on???

WF picked to finish 2nd in the ACC Coaches poll. Omar Hernandez was selected on the ACC Pre-season watchlist.

Link: https://theacc.com/news/2022/8/16/clemson-selected-2022-preseason-acc-mens-soccer-favorite.aspx

Projected standings:

Atlantic Division
Clemson (9), 64
Wake Forest (3), 55
Louisville, 47
Syracuse, 33
Boston College, 28
NC State, 19

Coastal Division
Pitt (6), 57
North Carolina (5), 52
Notre Dame (1), 44
Duke, 38
Virginia Tech, 34
Virginia, 21

First-place votes in parentheses

Didn't realize that UVA soccer had fallen on hard times.

Looks like third behind Pitt overall, second in the Atlantic.

Looks like third behind Pitt overall, second in the Atlantic.

How do you figure? Looks like a total of 246 votes for each division. Pitt got 57 votes to finish first in the Coastal - unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem to tell you anything at all about their overall ranking in the conference. Wake actually finished fifth in the overall champion voting, but even that doesn't necessarily correlate precisely to the overall ranking.

I'm fine with that explanation too. The only thing Wake was actually picked though was second in the Atlantic.

Is soccer going to ditch divisions after this season like football?

@Fayettenam...which newcomers are you keeping an eye on???

You know. It’s a smaller class, which normally is a good thing. It’s so early, but Walent and Kenison should be guys to watch. Class is good generally.

The defense should be stout. SHOULD BE. If they aren’t there now, I don’t know if they’ll ever get there. The back four are playing for their pro careers, so you’d think this is the year they show out. My biggest concern, however, is where the goals are going to come from. I think Roald will step up, but will it be enough?

You know. It’s a smaller class, which normally is a good thing. It’s so early, but Walent and Kenison should be guys to watch. Class is good generally.

The defense should be stout. SHOULD BE. If they aren’t there now, I don’t know if they’ll ever get there. The back four are playing for their pro careers, so you’d think this is the year they show out. My biggest concern, however, is where the goals are going to come from. I think Roald will step up, but will it be enough?

Lot of question marks this year, more than usual, but that's also exciting in a way. There's plenty of talent, the question is whether it gels properly (defense without Nico, offensive unit being quite young) and whether we can stay healthy (we've had pretty bad injury problems the past few seasons). I think we have a top five roster in the country in terms of talent, but a lot of it is unproven. Think we'll be more of a collective in terms of attack this year rather than running so exclusively through Kyle. Think we *should* be pretty darn good.

Soccer double-header at Spry on Thursday:

The Women:

The WF women are already off to a 2-0 start with wins over Milwaukee and Rhode Island. The ladies open the DH with UGA at 5 pm.

The Men:

After tying #6 WV in an exhibition match on Saturday, WF opens the 2022 Soccer Season on Thursday against UCF at Spry at 8 pm. The Deacon opener will be televised on the ACCN.

are most games gonna be televised?

According to the WF schedule, only the UCF opener is on ACCN (which seems hard to believe) most games are televised on ACCN Extra (I believe that means you can access the game if you are an ESPN subscriber).

Last edited:
According to the WF schedule, only the UCF opener is on ACCN (which seems hard to believe) most games are televised on ACCN Extra (I believe that means you can access the game if you are an ESPN subscriber).

What the hell is the ACCN showing during the week? Replays of the 2019 bowl games?

If WVU is #6 in the country, then Wake looked like a top 5 team. We dominated possession and shots.

The crowd turnout on Saturday night for the exhibition against WVU was impressive. There was no charge, and the crowd felt like a pre-COVID Spry crowd. I'm interested to hear the opinions of others, but I question the decision to charge admission to Wake soccer games to Deacon Club members. They are planning to charge $10 for non-con games and $15 for conference games. A season ticket is $99, which I realize is not that much, but it is more than season tickets on the hill for football and it can add up when the whole family attends. The soccer hill is still free, so I think we'll see a lot of people on the hill and not so many in the stands. Plus, there are not a lot of tangible benefits to being in the Deacon Club, but free Olympic sports was one of them for those that can attend. I think charging for soccer took away some of the magic of Spry by decreasing the overall numbers attending games.

What the hell is the ACCN showing during the week? Replays of the 2019 bowl games?

I can't get enough of K drinking wine with washed up Dookie basketball players. Let's show that for the 2,476th time.

makes sense to charge for soccer since tuition is so affordable

I think putting the hill back to free after people within the organization said it was killing the vibe to charge was a good response to not ruin the fun of Spry at night. But while I initially was surprised to see soccer season tickets go up, for how many games they play plus needing to pay for Muus long term and continue to invest, I don’t have a problem with it. Half the crowd is getting in for next to nothing—all the kids that play Fusion soccer, anyone who is Wake or Wake hospital staff (unless that changed this year), etc.
The Hill for football is crazy how cheap it is. I just assume that golden price will evaporate one year.

Back