• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
are most places in the mountains all electric appliances?

based on my limited knowledge of looking at houses here, yes. I think it's mostly due to hard to run the gas lines. a lot of places just have a propane tank.

I’m mostly ok with my glass top electric range, you get used to it but it is annoying how long it takes a pot of water to boil. Also if I had induction I’d have to get pretty much all new pots and pans.

I just mainly hate the clean-up. Any boil overs or splatter are fucking awful to clean up. I have glasstop cleaner and I scrub the shit out of it, but it never fully comes out.

I’m not sure about asking for a raise for a 1 month side project that you haven’t even done yet. Either way you can’t do it until your concerns are addressed and you have adequate capacity or do it and then advocate for an increase in comp at year end.

yeah that makes sense. I wasn't planning on going down that route yet, but it does feel like a significant ask of me, and I already feel stretched pretty thin

I do think my workload has been pretty far beyond what I was told when hired, and I've made some substantial, unexpected, tangible impacts, and my manager has told me as much, but I was thinking it was too early for me to ask for shit now. Probably will just wait for year end, especially if I keep getting ammo like this crap

yeah that makes sense. I wasn't planning on going down that route yet, but it does feel like a significant ask of me, and I already feel stretched pretty thin

I do think my workload has been pretty far beyond what I was told when hired, and I've made some substantial, unexpected, tangible impacts, and my manager has told me as much, but I was thinking it was too early for me to ask for shit now. Probably will just wait for year end, especially if I keep getting ammo like this crap

Yeah I think you build a really good case for yourself at year end to make a strong ask and this is just part of the overall story (workload, responsibilities, performance, etc). Good luck bro.

I told our realtor after we bought our house during the due diligence period that if we couldn’t convert our electric cooktop to gas then I didn’t want the house.

Picked up my sandwich from firehouse subs and they were out of Miss Vickie’s BBQ chips SMDH

I like the df2009 approach, but I'd also throw out there another idea.

If the data is a mess, why not focus your efforts there, and in the meantime write a super basic GUI so your PMs could self-serve reports with WYSIWYG parameters rather than learning a skill they'll never need? The hours spent on lunch and learns and cross-training sounds like they'd be wasted if the reports PMs are pulling are Garbage In Garbage Out, so just sell the idea to your bosses of spending that time on technical debt/data cleaning and writing a self-service tool?

I told our realtor after we bought our house during the due diligence period that if we couldn’t convert our electric cooktop to gas then I didn’t want the house.

i was talking to my wife about this yesterday and we realized that keeping a electric glass cooktop clean isn't really much more challenging than keeping gas clean. so fine, whatever - I don't want to deal with a propane tanks if we don't have to.

CBS has utah at #4 preseason. Gonna have to find my way to a game or two

My wife’s left the gas on twice in the past month (without the fire going). A bit surprised our carbon monoxide alarm never went off.

i cooked with induction in paris, took me a while one night wine drunk to figure out that the burner literally won't heat without a pan on

but i did overall greatly enjoy the experience

think i'd say it goes:

1) induction
2) gas range
3) glass electric

4) electric coils

I like the df2009 approach, but I'd also throw out there another idea.

If the data is a mess, why not focus your efforts there, and in the meantime write a super basic GUI so your PMs could self-serve reports with WYSIWYG parameters rather than learning a skill they'll never need? The hours spent on lunch and learns and cross-training sounds like they'd be wasted if the reports PMs are pulling are Garbage In Garbage Out, so just sell the idea to your bosses of spending that time on technical debt/data cleaning and writing a self-service tool?

I like that idea in theory, but we just have so many competing systems to pull from-- we have our own proprietary software, but also inexplicably use Salesforce to log the data ("but that's not what Salesforce is built for!" you and I and everyone else who has ever seen Salesforce are currently yelling into the void), and there's a third system for reconciliation... Salesforce obviously has limited built-in self-serve reporting already, as does the recon tool, and I don't have any ability to develop on top of our software. The data between the three should always match out, but it often doesn't, which is a whole other headache.

Think I might just try to sell them on df2009's idea tbh

And there's no PowerBI or Tableau or Adobe or anything sitting on top of all that for producing reports? You're just doing SQL or R pulls and exporting to Excel or something?

also I just had my midyear (it was earlier than I thought oops) and confirmed I'm killing it rn

some very interesting tidbits about my team's future structure too. exciting times

And there's no PowerBI or Tableau or Adobe or anything sitting on top of all that for producing reports? You're just doing SQL or R pulls and exporting to Excel or something?

Majority of our reporting is PowerBI. There's a lot of stuff there already (our reporting inventory is a fucking MESS, and for some reason we don't keep detailed usage history logs for us to retire shit with), but I think the endgoal is for them to be able to do basic analysis without asking us for more net new reports. I just don't think that's realistically achievable with our current data environment.

I joined this team with the vast majority of my experience coming from SSRS, and was shocked to see the amount of shit people are still doing manually in Excel tbh. That's also given me some really easy big wins (stuff like setting up data driven subscription alerts for shit that takes me 15 minutes to make, but nobody else on my team has worked in SSRS so it seems super impressive I guess?)

My wife’s left the gas on twice in the past month (without the fire going). A bit surprised our carbon monoxide alarm never went off.

After my smoke alarm issues, I also stumbled across gas leaks will not set off your carbon monoxide detector.

i was talking to my wife about this yesterday and we realized that keeping a electric glass cooktop clean isn't really much more challenging than keeping gas clean. so fine, whatever - I don't want to deal with a propane tanks if we don't have to.

I just refuse to cook with electric.

I can't fucking believe that Fuku, the fried chicken sandwich spot that David Chang spun off from Momofuku, is opening a location at a food hall in Johnston fucking County.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back