• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude listens to Enter Sandman for the first time, is able to memorize the entire drum part after one listen.

I could have told you your ideas suck without $150,000 in student loans.
I think you're confused about how humanities grad school works. They pay us (pennies) and we make the school money and cost nothing

i think the bigger issue is the way that the VCs and PEs chase the unicorn, and they don't care how many horses they kill along the way. I think Townie's right in that uber really wounded the cab industry; chickfiladeac is right that the cab industry needed a good ass-kicking. But the cab drivers weren't all the problem - it was their ownership and the stupid medallion process that restricted competition artificially in the first place.

In any event, I think it's great that Softbank and the Saudis threw a whole bunch of money away because they believed that WeWork was going to be bigger than Apple. If you're that stupid you deserve to give landlords your money.

This chat thread is giving me suuuuuch a hard on. Listening to you (smart) guys talk about economics is so deep in my fucking strike zone.

I don't say this lightly - I enjoy this more than Your Mom jokes.

You've got a nerve to be asking a favor
You've got a nerve to be calling my number
I know we've been through this before
Can't you hear me? I'm calling out your name
Can't you see me? I'm pounding on your door

I feel like the last season of Boardwalk Empire was rushed and a disappointment. The ending seemed kinda inexplicable too

i think the bigger issue is the way that the VCs and PEs chase the unicorn, and they don't care how many horses they kill along the way. I think Townie's right in that uber really wounded the cab industry; chickfiladeac is right that the cab industry needed a good ass-kicking. But the cab drivers weren't all the problem - it was their ownership and the stupid medallion process that restricted competition artificially in the first place.

In any event, I think it's great that Softbank and the Saudis threw a whole bunch of money away because they believed that WeWork was going to be bigger than Apple. If you're that stupid you deserve to give landlords your money.

This is a product of rising inequality and inherited wealth. People with money don’t necessarily have good judgement especially across various industries. They may be very susceptible to pitches that they think should work like “disrupting” an established industry or institution. And people with enough money can just ruin an institution without batting an eye or suffering any real consequences. There’s no risk for people with enough money to absorb bad financial decisions.

Uber is an example of a great idea that solves real problem, changes an industry that needed changing, but may never be profitable. Such industries should operate on a smaller scale or by government that can absorb losses and cuts our costs like the Wilson example.

This is a product of rising inequality and inherited wealth. People with money don’t necessarily have good judgement especially across various industries. They may be very susceptible to pitches that they think should work like “disrupting” an established industry or institution. And people with enough money can just ruin an institution without batting an eye or suffering any real consequences. There’s no risk for people with enough money to absorb bad financial decisions.

Uber is an example of a great idea that solves real problem, changes an industry that needed changing, but may never be profitable. Such industries should operate on a smaller scale or by government that can absorb losses and cuts our costs like the Wilson example.

I still think the adage applies: first generation buys the farm, second generation builds it up, third generation fucking squanders the shit out of it.

I get that it may feel like some familial dynasties are able to coast on inherited wealth, but I think the number is comparatively small.

From CNN:

"Nearly 60% of the time a family's money is exhausted by the children of the person who created the wealth, according to Roy Williams, president of wealth consultancy The Williams Group. In 90% of the cases it's gone by the time the grandchildren die."

https://money.cnn.com/2014/06/25/luxury/family-wealth/index.html

This isn't necessarily a bad thing long-term; yes, there is temporary "pooling" of assets and wealth, but these situations tend to hemorrhage money into the broader economy.

You used to take Uber Pool?

a69f355ea63a64ed_EWW.xxxlarge.gif

all the fucking time

Is it bad I feel no sympathy for Brittney Griner and think it’s kinda wild Biden is giving up an arms dealer for an athlete

I still think the adage applies: first generation buys the farm, second generation builds it up, third generation fucking squanders the shit out of it.

I get that it may feel like some familial dynasties are able to coast on inherited wealth, but I think the number is comparatively small.

From CNN:

"Nearly 60% of the time a family's money is exhausted by the children of the person who created the wealth, according to Roy Williams, president of wealth consultancy The Williams Group. In 90% of the cases it's gone by the time the grandchildren die."

https://money.cnn.com/2014/06/25/luxury/family-wealth/index.html

This isn't necessarily a bad thing long-term; yes, there is temporary "pooling" of assets and wealth, but these situations tend to hemorrhage money into the broader economy.

My grandmother was the illegitimate child of the heir to the Chatham feed, farm and mill empire. I’ve always wondered if I could somehow increase my generational wealth with this knowledge.

My grandmother was the illegitimate child of the heir to the Chatham feed, farm and mill empire. I’ve always wondered if I could somehow increase my generational wealth with this knowledge.
That's exactly the plot of like a dozen Victorian novels.

Is it bad I feel no sympathy for Brittney Griner and think it’s kinda wild Biden is giving up an arms dealer for an athlete

I feel bad for her being a pawn. I also feel bad for the President making the decision to trade the Merchant of Death.

This is one of those No-Win situations (unless you're Putin). I am continually amazed at how often Putin is able to craft no-win situations for his enemies. Putin is universally reviled, but he's fucking amazing at geopolitics.

Speaking of Griner, how tall is the tallest person you’ve ever been intimate with?

I feel bad for her being a pawn. I also feel bad for the President making the decision to trade the Merchant of Death.

This is one of those No-Win situations (unless you're Putin). I am continually amazed at how often Putin is able to craft no-win situations for his enemies. Putin is universally reviled, but he's fucking amazing at geopolitics.

Of course you realize how easy it would be for the US to lock up people from every nation on the planet, right ? We just don't do that.

Some of this is spot on, but a lot of "investors" aren't old fashioned rich folks trying to get in on the ground floor of a cool new product, they're hedge funds or venture capital or wealth management on the fringe, at least a layer removed. And theoretically they should be properly evaluating business plans and go to market strategies and like, buying out smaller firms and stuff to clear the path. Though if your broader point is that the wealth is being squandered, I certainly agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back