• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the rehearsal the best psychological thriller on tv

holy god that last episode was just absurd. an hour of orchestrated lunacy and I am here for it

It’s not too hard to see that airlines let people go, offered early retirement and buyouts for people. This was from the simple gate agent and baggage handler to pilot and it all has an effect. The biggest being pilots where usually you would have ample on call pilots for people being sick, or standby in case a flight is delayed at a hub in which the route would be filled by a different pilot at the airport. This just doesn’t exist or is is at a minimum currently. Throw in that pilots need x number of hours and simulator training after being furloughed and it’s a staffing disaster. So what has to happen, the number of flights need to be reduced, along with pent up demand the ones that do fly are absolutely packed and if something does happen there’s no longer a margin of an empty flight leaving late at night etc…

Basically all airlines are operating not by choice the Spirit model.

I understand all these factors in theory, of course - it just SEEMs crazy that the airlines would be unable to staff back up as demand increases - where did all those people go? What are they doing now? Or perhaps, as suggested, the airlines are purposely trying to operate at minimal staffing levels to increase their bottom line? That seems like a dangerous game that could motivate people to avoid flying at all costs. I know I will be planning trips where I can drive whenever possible for the foreseeable future.

"where did all those people go?"

People the airline industry fired probably got other jobs.

I don’t think you do understand unless you think you just put out a help wanted sign and in walks a pilot. There already was a global pilot shortage before a bunch of them took an early retirement.

I understand all these factors in theory, of course - it just SEEMs crazy that the airlines would be unable to staff back up as demand increases - where did all those people go? What are they doing now? Or perhaps, as suggested, the airlines are purposely trying to operate at minimal staffing levels to increase their bottom line? That seems like a dangerous game that could motivate people to avoid flying at all costs. I know I will be planning trips where I can drive whenever possible for the foreseeable future.
A lot of those people who were fired went out and found better paying jobs, more rewarding careers or better job stability. Same thing has happened to the hotel industry - turns out forcing people into other careers makes them realize how poorly they were treated/compensated. It's an employees market at the moment and unless you're improving your terms, workers will find other options.

A lot of those people who were fired went out and found better paying jobs, more rewarding careers or better job stability. Same thing has happened to the hotel industry - turns out forcing people into other careers makes them realize how poorly they were treated/compensated. It's an employees market at the moment and unless you're improving your terms, workers will find other options.

restaurant industry, too, particularly back of house. depending on the restaurant, servers and bartenders can make bank, but the cooks and dishwashers get paid jack.

is the rehearsal the best psychological thriller on tv

holy god that last episode was just absurd. an hour of orchestrated lunacy and I am here for it

Probably one of the best productions of anything, film or tv I’ve ever seen

Increased demand leading to overbooking and understaffing are the main two reasons. People are finally taking trips that have been postponed due to COVID. Airlines took a bunch of government money due to COVID but passed it on to shareholders instead of properly hiring for what they had to know was going to be increased demand.

That’s why the Dems passed a law codifying that you can request cash refunds for cancelled flights.

How did the Airlines pass it on to shareholders? Haven't heard that one before. I mean, yeah, they took the money... But the dilution actually fucked shareholders, IMO. The stocks are still WAY below where they were pre-COVID.

The funny thing is that a number of these Airlines are likely to still declare bankruptcy over the next few years.

100% correct on staffing issues, though. Had to cut folks to stay in business during COVID... Tough to hire people back at the same cadence as traffic picks up (if they even want to come back).

At current prices for tickets I find it hard to believe they can’t hire back the baggage handlers and counter folks

Yeah, tell me about those huge airline shareholder dividends for 2021.

It’s not too hard to see that airlines let people go, offered early retirement and buyouts for people. This was from the simple gate agent and baggage handler to pilot and it all has an effect. The biggest being pilots where usually you would have ample on call pilots for people being sick, or standby in case a flight is delayed at a hub in which the route would be filled by a different pilot at the airport. This just doesn’t exist or is is at a minimum currently. Throw in that pilots need x number of hours and simulator training after being furloughed and it’s a staffing disaster. So what has to happen, the number of flights need to be reduced, along with pent up demand the ones that do fly are absolutely packed and if something does happen there’s no longer a margin of an empty flight leaving late at night etc…

Yeah, running an airline is hard AND it is an inherently shitty business (for a myriad of reasons).

if you wanna get a great crust on a steak, slather it in mayo prior to the sear. did some nice ribeyes reverse sear on the grill but it started pouring while they were resting so I just finished them in the pan. was all excited to get the Joe up to super high temps for the sear, but the pan was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back