• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political - Officially NOT a recession thread

lol what does Brad think that experienced corporate tax consultants make per hour? He's such a strange person.

Thanks for the link to the Brookings Institute, plama!!

Got any links to the economic think pieces from Mother Jones, Slate, or Vox??
only a panel of tax policy "experts".. say Marjorie taylor greene, lauren boebert and matt gaetz would pass muster for brad.

Last edited:
Are these 87,000 IRS agents going to come after the money I won from the Super Bowl that's in my Venmo account ?

lol what does Brad think that experienced corporate tax consultants make per hour? He's such a strange person.

hillary-clinton-idk.gif

the stock market sure isn’t acting like its a recession.

You can't imagine the problems when a few people are allowed to hoard resources?

Except that is not the case at all. Resources in the USA are more plentiful, higher quality, easier to obtain, and relatively cheaper than at any point in human history and as compared to almost anywhere else in the world. Food, shelter, medicine, utilities, communication ... everything important is much more readily available and of higher quality than ever before.

We're only about 100 years out from a good portion of the population not having basic housing, food, and utilities. That issue has generally been solved, and that is not true for plenty of other places in the world. Who gets the credit for that? I would be loathe to give it to our useless politicians on both sides as opposed to our economic system drivers. If the result of significantly boosting the available resources and standard of living for 330 million people means that a handful of people have an unfathomable amount of money, then you take that deal all day every day and don't bitch about it. Anyone who complains about that is simply looking at the wrong things.

The entire US millennial generation has been able to take its basic needs for granted such that its only two production concerns are craft beer and content. To contend that the system that resulted in that fantastic accomplishment is faulty because a few people are filthy rich because of that same system is extremely narrowminded.

the stock market sure isn’t acting like its a recession.

Of course the U.S. is not in a recession - Did you skip over the first post on the thread or avoid all recent Paul Krugman pieces in the NYT, Chris??

In more good news for the economy, 0% inflation in July according to the White House:

my lunch at chipotle used to be like 8 bucks today it was 12

what the hell kind of inflation is that

Food, shelter, medicine, utilities, communication ... everything important is much more readily available and of higher quality than ever before.

From the WHO in 2021:

However, one out of every two people needing insulin for type 2 diabetes does not get it. Diabetes is on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, and yet their consumption of insulin has not kept up with the growing disease burden. The report highlights that while three in four people affected by type 2 diabetes live in countries outside of North America and Europe, they account for less than 40% of the revenue from insulin sales.

From the WHO in 2021:

I'm not sure of your point from that ... the US uses more insulin?

The flip side of that paragraph is that one out of every two people needing insulin for type 2 diabetes does get it. And apparently more. That 50% is probably better than the 0% that it was when our overall standard of living was lower.

Yeah but they have a fridge and microwave. They wouldn’t have had that 100 years ago.

Or Tylenol or NyQuil or Neosporin or bandaids or any of the other thousands of healthcare products that you can walk into any of the thousands of pharmacies and purchase with relative ease.

Told ya so. Although I thought the solution would be "Eat less, pants fit, no Covid milkwich, no insulin necessary, fatty !!"

I'm not sure of your point from that ... the US uses more insulin?

The flip side of that paragraph is that one out of every two people needing insulin for type 2 diabetes does get it. And apparently more. That 50% is probably better than the 0% that it was when our overall standard of living was lower.

Sorry, but that's wrong too. When it was invented 100 years ago, the patent was sold for $1 and it was freely available until the original patent expired. Access to it has declined as prices have surged, and mostly that's the US. Outside the US where governments negotiate drug prices or where patent protections make it easier to create generics, it's less of an issue. And of course insulin is just one key example.

See also epinephrine, statins, cancer drugs, etc. As our health spending has exploded, access to complete, universal, affordable at point of sale care has not, or at least not at commensurate rates. Not sure you could really argue this, ACA notwithstanding.

Back