• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Russell, RIP

55 straight wins at San Francisco. That's like 55 straight wins at Old Dominion. And 2 NCAA titles.

12 NBA Finals in 13 seasons. 11 wins out of 12 and the 1 loss he left injured and was hospitalized.

Olympic Gold.

Unreal.

Winner. Will be missed.

RIP

On top of all his accomplishments, he appeared as a great guy with a great perspective on life. He was the best elder statesman of the game and maybe the most important player in NBA history.

maybe the best leadership skills in all of NBA history. And a great player and person . RIP Bill.

Watching Bill Russell and the Celtics play against Wilt Chamberlain and the Warriors live on a black/white television on Sunday afternoons was my introduction to basketball on its highest level. As the years passed, I watched Russsell advocate any cause he thought important regardless of the controversy. He was a true leader and as his record suggests a true champion.

RIP Bill.

I met Bill Russell at a charity event in the early 90's. Shook his hand and chatted about some Celtics greats from his era. Bill was very approachable and had "that laugh". May he RIP. One of the all time greats.

sat in front of Mr. Russell once on a plane - commuter between NY & Boston. Jerk flight attendant made him move out of the exit row due to his hearing aid. He handled it like a true gentleman and did not fuss although many of us did. Was kind and spoke to everyone on the plane that wanted to meet him. Rest in peace Mr. Russell

Wow. Never would you read a negative word about Bill Russell. May we all strive in that same vein.

Watched him seemingly always beat Wilt, Not statistically, but by leading and doing all the little things necessary to win. Always thought he was eloquent in his civil rights advocacy. Soft spoken but loud in his ideas. I will miss him as a man who did so much in so many diverse areas. RIP Mr. Russell.

Shook his hand at a book signing when I was at Wake. Told him I was in school and he said “ahh a Demon Deacon - I have a great friend who went to Wake Forest”. My poor dad was so starstruck he couldn’t even get out a word on his turn. Rest In Peace Bill

Shook his hand at a book signing when I was at Wake. Told him I was in school and he said “ahh a Demon Deacon - I have a great friend who went to Wake Forest”. My poor dad was so starstruck he couldn’t even get out a word on his turn. Rest In Peace Bill

Wake Forest great Dickie Hemric and Russell were both on the 1956-1957 Celtics. So Bill Russell had some connection to Wake.

Back