• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022 College Football Thread: Georgia is Back to Back Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it was close. I just left it off by mistake. Both teams played close games.

Your 2022 National Champion is almost certainly going to be one of the following teams:

Alabama
Ohio State
Georgia
Clemson

There's almost no chance any of the following teams will win the national championship, but they're worthy of discussion and could slip into the playoff:

Southern Cal (big transition year)
Michigan (last year was a fluke and they got exposed in the CFP semis)
NC State (would have to run the table including winning at Clemson)
Texas A&M (New QB)
Notre Dame (1st year coach and a tough schedule)

Biff's Surprise Teams (Last Year's Michigan State):
Texas
Baylor
Tennessee
Pitt (surprise, they're back)

No chance USC slips into the playoff. Their line play would have to improve leaps and bounds, which it isn't going to do under their strength coach, and Williams would have to take a huge step forward in the offseason in reading defenses, and I think he has been too distracted.
Michigan slips back to normalcy this year, I think.
NCSU isn't running the table
aTm is going to return to normal. They had one big upset, at home, last year. And other than that, they were their usual selves.
ND is always unpredictable.

Texas and Baylor are breaking in new QBs, and they're actually new. Not sure why people want to ignore Oklahoma. They lost Williams and Rattler to the portal, but replaced them with somebody better-- or at least somebody who was better than their play was at QB the last two years. Williams may be a superstar, and Rattler may excel at the other SC, but Gabriel is already pretty proven and is familiar with the offense. Other than that, they lost a lot of guys who weren't producing at expected levels. The OU O is going to be better than it was the last two years (unless Gabriel gets hurt, then all bets are off), and the D you know will take a step forward. They should be the obvious favorites to win the conference. Texas is all hype until they can prove otherwise. Sark hasn't done shit in his head coaching career, and there is no reason to expect him to change that at Texas. I could bore you with other stuff, but the buzz and excitement in Norman is real. Nobody is expecting a natty level team this year, but the future is bright, especially considering where the program was when FULR left.

Will see if Tennessee can retain some of that momentum from last year.

Hey man, you gotta say some crazy shit to get the discussion going.

whoa, ELC is down on Texas and USC and thinks OU is underrated ?? STOP THE PRESSES !!

whoa, ELC is down on Texas and USC and thinks OU is underrated ?? STOP THE PRESSES !!

Both USC and Texas had losing records last season and OU, in spite of having a coach who was checked out, still was a PI call away from playing for another Big XII title. Okie State lost their D. Baylor lost a lot but will still have a mean D-line. The betting money is on OU for the conference. Actually, I think they're preseason top 10, maybe top 5 in a few places, so they're not really being underrated. Just nobody is talking about them, and that's fine with me.

Both USC and Texas will have weapons, for sure, but football is won in the trenches and both programs are soft mentally and physically.

if there's a softer program mentally than OU i'm gonna need someone to remind me who it is

if there's a softer program mentally than OU i'm gonna need someone to remind me who it is

Probably would have said Michigan up until last year.....but at this point, that title might go to USC if Oklahoma has relinquished their crown (I'm sensing a pattern here......)

Texas would like a word with you. As would the Pac 12 and all of the ACC members not named Clemson.

There is a wholesale attitude change in Norman right now. Accountability is back, as is team (rather than individual) play. Not sure how evident it will be this year, but my guess is it will be very noticeable.

I am curious why people are so high on Clemson with DJ at QB. I don't remember much improvement over the season. He could be Blake Bell 2.0. I don't think you can count on Klubnik to lead them to the playoff this season either. An amazing defense will keep Clemson near the top of the rankings, but I don't see them as a top 10 team.

Clemson's OL improved over the course of the season and they won six straight to end the year. Defense will be one of the best, if not the best, in the country, which will make you a top 10 team with any semblance of an offense.

But yeah, DJ's got to play better if they're going to win the division.

Clemson's OL improved over the course of the season and they won six straight to end the year. Defense will be one of the best, if not the best, in the country, which will make you a top 10 team with any semblance of an offense.

But yeah, DJ's got to play better if they're going to win the division.
Six straight. Uconn, a shitty USC team, A damaged Wake, and won a bowl against shit by a TD. Clemson is good, but they ain't the best at anything right now.

Six straight. Uconn, a shitty USC team, A damaged Wake, and won a bowl against shit by a TD. Clemson is good, but they ain't the best at anything right now.

Also don't discount the loss of both coordinators. New DC wasn't even an on the field coach.

Just wait till it all comes true.

Love your confidence! Really do. But, combined, you have Clemson and State far too highly placed given the strength of WF's program. Put Wake where State is and at least that part balances out the inflated view of Clemson which is understandable given their history.

The other surprises are fun too! Again, excellent work indeed.

Love your confidence! Really do. But, combined, you have Clemson and State far too highly placed given the strength of WF's program. Put Wake where State is and at least that part balances out the inflated view of Clemson which is understandable given their history.

The other surprises are fun too! Again, excellent work indeed.

ACC Preseason Poll
(164 total votes)

Overall Champion
Clemson - 103
NC State - 38
Miami - 8
Wake Forest - 4
Pitt – 3
Virginia - 3
Florida State - 2
North Carolina - 2
Boston College - 1

Atlantic Division
(First-place votes in parenthesis)
Clemson (111) - 1,080
NC State (44) - 959
Wake Forest (6) - 783
Louisville - 591
Florida State (2) - 509
Boston College (1) - 469
Syracuse - 201

148 out of 164 votes for an Atlantic team including 45 out of 61 non-Clemson votes.

Back