• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many wins will WF football record in ACC play this fall? DaDeacs nails it! We’re a Cross Country School!

How Many wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay fourth.

The point is Howell damn near beat us in his third game starting as a true freshman on the road and Maye is a sophomore who will be starting his 10th game and Brown will have a team full of his own players on the field this time.

I feel pretty good about the UNC game this year considering we have home field advantage against a new quarterback.

this is a decent point, but he'll be in his 10th game by then, so not as new

We beat Howell under those circumstances, and whoever they have starting is most certainly not going to be as talented as he was.

this point is not as strong, as there has been almost complete turnover within both programs since 2019. We had Newman, Surratt, KWIII, CBS, Roberson, Washington on that team. doesn't really seem relevant to what might happen in 2022

I only watched Howell play 3 college football games (all against WF, obviously). For whatever reason, the UNC coaching staff didn't seem to want Howell running the ball in 2019. That was a pretty effective weapon for them by 2021 and a big reason Howell was a successful QB. Hopefully this year's UNC coaching staff has similar blind spots.

I think we probably beat UNC but I feel like I feel less good about it than you.

I went with 5-3 with losses to Clemson, FSU and NCSU and a total of 9-3 on the season.

The 3-5-5 format should be a huge help for us IMHO. Atlantic is loaded this year.

** For us older crowd, I never thought I'd be posting that Wake would have an average year going 9-3 in football. Never.

We are named after a municipality just like Louisville is

Actually, the town of Wake Forest was named after the college.

The closest community to the college was Forestville. It was about 2 miles from the college. The community of Wake Forest developed when the railroad stop and station moved from Forestville to the college. The community that developed adjacent to the college took the name of the college and the train station. As the town of Wake Forest grew and expanded, Forestville was included. It's location within the town is still identified by business names and road signage on US1(business) from either direction.

Wake's offense can beat any team on the schedule except Clemson. I'll need to see the offense produce against Clemson to believe the Deacons can beat them.

The Wake Forest defense is another matter. It can snatch defeat from the certain victory in the matter of just a few minutes. If the D can consistently hold their opponents to fewer than 25 points, an ACC championship is attainable.

My guess is 5-3 in conference and 9-3 overall. We caught some breaks last year. Not as lucky this year.

As most know, I'm an old fart. I had the pleasure of attending Wake when the Deacs secured their first ACC championship. I have always believed we could play quality football. It's a pleasure to see it happen.

The closest community to the college was Forestville. It was about 2 miles from the college. The community of Wake Forest developed when the railroad stop and station moved from Forestville to the college. The community that developed adjacent to the college took the name of the college and the train station. As the town of Wake Forest grew and expanded, Forestville was included. It's location within the town is still identified by business names and road signage on US1(business) from either direction.

So that makes us better than Louisville

For marketing purposes I’m glad we’re going with Deactown rather than Forestville

Oh man, imagine if it was Hill Valley University.

The board is obsessed with BiffTannen !

Don’t let it distract you from a good discussion of Wake football, he’s a Georgia fan who can’t be trusted to seriously discuss Deacon athletics

The board is obsessed with BiffTannen !

Don’t let it distract you from a good discussion of Wake football, he’s a Georgia fan who can’t be trusted to seriously discuss Deacon athletics

Here's what we know from Biff. Clemson simply needs to show up, roll the helmets on the field and it's an automatic win. Coaching does not matter.

It’s the Jim’s and Joe’s, not the X’s and O’s

i'll give biff credit. i still can't tell whether he's a shit poster or whether this is schtick

It’s the Jim’s and Joe’s, not the X’s and O’s

Player development and maturity can add around half a star per year. Scheme, player positioning and adjustments by coaches can add some more for a particular game.

Player development and maturity can add around half a star per year. Scheme, player positioning and adjustments by coaches can add some more for a particular game.

and the lack both of those can take stars away.

So if Wake Forest was not named after the town, where did the name come from?

Thanks. I also found the description of the graduate school origins that it was founded (1834) on a plantation in an area known at the Forest of Wake (county). I learn something new every day, even about things I thought I already knew...

So if Wake Forest was not named after the town, where did the name come from?

They probably said, "Hey, in 150 years, what is something that idiots on twitter can put two 'Rs' in for absolutely no reason?"

Back