• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many wins will WF football record in ACC play this fall? DaDeacs nails it! We’re a Cross Country School!

How Many wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks. I also found the description of the graduate school origins that it was founded (1834) on a plantation in an area known at the Forest of Wake (county). I learn something new every day, even about things I thought I already knew...

Yeah. I never heard of Forestville until this thread.

They probably said, "Hey, in 150 years, what is something that idiots on twitter can put two 'Rs' in for absolutely no reason?"

Well, there was a movie about a guy who went to some school in Alabama who spelt his name with two R's. That got many people using the two R spelling of "Forrest."

i'll give biff credit. i still can't tell whether he's a shit poster or whether this is schtick

Regardless, the reality check of that first painful Georgia loss can't come soon enough

They probably said, "Hey, in 150 years, what is something that idiots on twitter can put two 'Rs' in for absolutely no reason?"

"Let's name it similar to someplace in Illinois, just to make it even more confusing."

i'll give biff credit. i still can't tell whether he's a shit poster or whether this is schtick

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

I knew the basic history of Wake Forest, but not that the town was named after the school.

I knew, or at least reasonably assumed, that "Wake Forest" was named after a prominent forest region in Wake County. Which it was. But specifically, it was named after the Forest District of Wake Co., and Dr. Jones coined the name.

In any case, definitely better than Louisville (one of many). Almost as good as the history of the name "Wachovia." :)

https://www.wakeforestnc.gov/history

"How did Wake Forest get its name?

Dr. Calvin Jones, who owned a 615-acre plantation, the land most of the town stands on today, was named the postmaster for the area in 1823 and began heading his letters as coming from Wake Forest. The Baptist State Convention, which bought the plantation in 1832, continued with his designation.

Wake County was created in 1771 from parts of Johnston, Cumberland and Orange counties, and was named in honor of Margaret Wake Tryon, the wife of the then royal governor, William Tryon. In 1805 this area was designated as the Forest District, largely for the widespread forest in the area north of the Neuse River, largely hardwoods but some softwoods including longleaf pine. The area was also sometimes referred to as the Forest of Wake, and Dr. Jones combined the two."

9-3 (5-3)

9/1 - vs VMI (W) -- W
9/10 - @ Vanderbilt (W) -- W
9/17 - vs Liberty (W) -- W
9/24 - vs Clemson (L) -- L
10/1 - @ Florida State (W) -- L
10/8 - vs Army (W) -- L
10/22 - vs Boston College (W) -- W
10/29 - @ Louisville (L) -- L
11/5 - @ NC State (L) -- L
11/12 - vs North Carolina (W) -- L
11/19 - vs Syracuse (W) -- W
11/26 - @Duke (W) -- W

WIN
LOSS
TOSS-UP / COULD GO EITHER WAY

BOLD = Updated prediction

But again, my prediction is 9-3 (5-3) leaning toward 8-4 (4-4) with the difference being a loss to FSU or UNC that I had previously counted as wins.

It all depends on when the losses come in, if they pile up due to an injury early in the year, we could go weeks without winning. But if we stay healthy, I honestly think we have a shot at beating Clemson and winning the division again!

EDIT: Depending on when/if Sam comes back, I'm changing my prediction to 6-6 (3-5). And I think that's generous. The lack of experience behind Sam is huge. I'm probably overreacting, but I just don't see Griffis or whoever starts doing much of anything.

Back to the top, with the ACC season starting in 5 days.

Almost all votes came in before the Hartman medical news. 89% think the Deacs will post a winning record. (almost) 69% (nice) say 6-2 or better.

Would be really nice to get to 1-0 this week. Let's go!

The way the schedule is shaping up, 5 wins looks most likely in terms of expected value. But as of today, I would expect six of our eight games to have a single digit spread (BC and @Duke the exceptions), so potentially tons of variability. Being 7 point dogs this weekend is probably the longest shot on our schedule (I'd guess +5 or 6 @NCST and +3 @FSU)

Only 10 posters remaining with a chance of being correct.

Back