View Poll Results: How Many wins?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-0, plus a win in the ACCCG

    8 8.16%
  • 8-0, but lose the ACCCG

    0 0%
  • 7-1, plus a win in the ACCCG

    9 9.18%
  • 7-1 but not ACC champs (either lose or don't reach ACCCG)

    5 5.10%
  • 6-2

    45 45.92%
  • 5-3

    20 20.41%
  • 4-4

    9 9.18%
  • 3-5

    1 1.02%
  • 2-6

    0 0%
  • 0-8 or 1-7

    1 1.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: How many wins will WF football record in ACC play this fall?

  1. #1

    How many wins will WF football record in ACC play this fall?

    get your picks in

  2. #2
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    wakelaw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    5,788
    I count 3 losses in the regular season: Clemson, at Louisville, and at State. With some luck, we could finish with 1 or 2 losses.

  3. #3
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,012
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    I count 3 losses in the regular season: Clemson, at Louisville, and at State. With some luck, we could finish with 1 or 2 losses.
    I agree.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I agree.
    This will be similar to the 2007 season in my opinion where we might have a better team than the prior year but not as good as of a record- we were 4-1 in close games in 2021 (Army, Cuse, LVille, State, and lost to UNC). Thatís likely 3-2 or 2-3 most years for us. 6-2 conference is a surprise with 5-3 more likely. I will be disappointed with 4-4 or less considering how many guys are back on offense. Think we drop Clemson, and 2 of UNC, State, LVille, FSU. UNC seems to have our number but also donít think they can beat us 3 years in a row. Itís our turn. We never win in Raleigh. Only chance against LVille is if Cunningham is hurt. FSU will be much improved but atleast we get them early. Letís not forget about BC either- they usually beat us at home and they have a healthy PJ now. Only conference games I can pencil in W are Cuse and Duke. Elko will improve Duke but will take a few years. Think we will handle Cuse at home - theyíre much tougher in the dome. Our division will be much deeper this year.

  5. #5
    I screwed up (fat fingers). I meant to vote 6-2.

  6. #6
    9-3 (5-3)

    9/1 - vs VMI (W)
    9/10 - @ Vanderbilt (W)
    9/17 - vs Liberty (W)
    9/24 - vs Clemson (L)
    10/1 - @ Florida State (W)
    10/8 - vs Army (W)
    10/22 - vs Boston College (W)
    10/29 - @ Louisville (L)
    11/5 - @ NC State (L)
    11/12 - vs North Carolina (W)
    11/19 - vs Syracuse (W)
    11/26 - @Duke (W)

    WIN
    LOSS
    TOSS-UP / COULD GO EITHER WAY



    In this prediction, we go 6-1 at home, and 3-2 on the road.

    I think the 3 away games in the Atlantic are going to be KEYS to our season. We could go anywhere from 0-3/1-2/2-1/3-0 (captain obvious told me)

    I think we go 9-3 (5-3) w/

    4-0 - OOC
    3-1 - vs Clemson, vs BC, vs Syracuse, @Duke
    2-2 - @FSU, @NCSU, @L'Ville, vs UNC

    - I think the odds of us winning against each of these teams to be [@FSU (55%), @NCSU (35%), @Louisville (45%), UNC (65%)]

    - I think we could go down to 7-5 (3-5) by switching toss-up wins @FSU and vs. UNC to Losses for both

    BUT

    - I also think we could get to 10-2 (6-2) or better with a miracle win over Clemson (only if their QB/offense can't settle), OR WINS in 3 of the 4 toss-up games [ @FSU / @NCSU / @Louisville / vs UNC ]

    - Throw in all 4 of those toss-ups and we can be 11-1!!


    My overall guesses:

    4-8 (2-6) = 1% = Wins over VMI/ARMY/Duke/Syracuse
    5-7 (2-6) = 3% = Losses to Army OR Liberty OOC || @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson/vs UNC/vs BC
    6-6 (2-6) = 5% = Losses the same as above with a win vs Army
    7-5 (3-5) = 18% = Losses @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson/vs UNC
    8-4 (4-4) = 28% = Losses @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson
    9-3 (5-3) = 35% = Losses @NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson
    10-2 (6-2) = 6% = Losses @NCSU || home vs Clemson
    11-1 (7-1) = 3% = Loss at home vs Clemson
    12-0 (8-0) = 1% = NO LOSSES (we'd all be dead)



    But again, my prediction is 9-3 (5-3) leaning toward 8-4 (4-4) with the difference being a loss to FSU or UNC that I had previously counted as wins.

    It all depends on when the losses come in, if they pile up due to an injury early in the year, we could go weeks without winning. But if we stay healthy, I honestly think we have a shot at beating Clemson and winning the division again!



    (Forgive me if my post comes off crazy, I'm slightly high.....at 8am....on a Tuesday...lol)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by OblongPickle View Post
    9-3 (5-3)

    9/1 - vs VMI (W)
    9/10 - @ Vanderbilt (W)
    9/17 - vs Liberty (W)
    9/24 - vs Clemson (L)
    10/1 - @ Florida State (W)
    10/8 - vs Army (W)
    10/22 - vs Boston College (W)
    10/29 - @ Louisville (L)
    11/5 - @ NC State (L)
    11/12 - vs North Carolina (W)
    11/19 - vs Syracuse (W)
    11/26 - @Duke (W)

    WIN
    LOSS
    TOSS-UP / COULD GO EITHER WAY



    In this prediction, we go 6-1 at home, and 3-2 on the road.

    I think the 3 away games in the Atlantic are going to be KEYS to our season. We could go anywhere from 0-3/1-2/2-1/3-0 (captain obvious told me)

    I think we go 9-3 (5-3) w/

    4-0 - OOC
    3-1 - vs Clemson, vs BC, vs Syracuse, @Duke
    2-2 - @FSU, @NCSU, @L'Ville, vs UNC

    - I think the odds of us winning against each of these teams to be [@FSU (55%), @NCSU (35%), @Louisville (45%), UNC (65%)]

    - I think we could go down to 7-5 (3-5) by switching toss-up wins @FSU and vs. UNC to Losses for both

    BUT

    - I also think we could get to 10-2 (6-2) or better with a miracle win over Clemson (only if their QB/offense can't settle), OR WINS in 3 of the 4 toss-up games [ @FSU / @NCSU / @Louisville / vs UNC ]

    - Throw in all 4 of those toss-ups and we can be 11-1!!


    My overall guesses:

    4-8 (2-6) = 1% = Wins over VMI/ARMY/Duke/Syracuse
    5-7 (2-6) = 3% = Losses to Army OR Liberty OOC || @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson/vs UNC/vs BC
    6-6 (2-6) = 5% = Losses the same as above with a win vs Army
    7-5 (3-5) = 18% = Losses @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson/vs UNC
    8-4 (4-4) = 28% = Losses @FSU/@NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson
    9-3 (5-3) = 35% = Losses @NCSU/@L'Ville || home vs Clemson
    10-2 (6-2) = 6% = Losses @NCSU || home vs Clemson
    11-1 (7-1) = 3% = Loss at home vs Clemson
    12-0 (8-0) = 1% = NO LOSSES (we'd all be dead)



    But again, my prediction is 9-3 (5-3) leaning toward 8-4 (4-4) with the difference being a loss to FSU or UNC that I had previously counted as wins.

    It all depends on when the losses come in, if they pile up due to an injury early in the year, we could go weeks without winning. But if we stay healthy, I honestly think we have a shot at beating Clemson and winning the division again!



    (Forgive me if my post comes off crazy, I'm slightly high.....at 8am....on a Tuesday...lol)
    Good post. Yeah - weíre going to have injuries and itís also predicated on when we get to play other teams. We got FSU, UVA, and State (due to their injuries on defense) at a good time last year. Werenít so lucky getting LVille (healthy Cunningham), UNC, Clemson, and BC (PJ was back).

  8. #8
    to me, the FSU game may be the most important game of the season

    If we beat Clemson, we roll into Tallahassee as a huge national story, and we can give all of that away with a loss. In recent years, we have not handled success and inflated expectations particularly well (see: WF at UNC).

    If we lose to Clemson, we go to FSU needing a win to avoid an 0-2 ACC start after our highest preseason expectations, maybe ever.

    I went with 5-3 as my prediction, expecting losses to Clemson, NCSU, and one of FSU/UL/UNC.

  9. #9
    Agreed FSU game is the season. Can we handle the national spotlight and target on our back? We will likely be ranked in that one regardless of Clemson outcome

  10. #10
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    wakelaw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    5,788
    I feel pretty good about the UNC game this year considering we have home field advantage against a new quarterback. We beat Howell under those circumstances, and whoever they have starting is most certainly not going to be as talented as he was.

    We beat State in Raleigh in 2018. We were the better team in 2020 but had to play Clemson the week before while State had an off week, and we lost by 3. I expect to be a 3 point underdog in this game, solely based on home field advantage. They will be better defensively, and we will be better offensively.

  11. #11
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,403
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    I feel pretty good about the UNC game this year considering we have home field advantage against a new quarterback. We beat Howell under those circumstances, and whoever they have starting is most certainly not going to be as talented as he was.

    We beat State in Raleigh in 2018. We were the better team in 2020 but had to play Clemson the week before while State had an off week, and we lost by 3. I expect to be a 3 point underdog in this game, solely based on home field advantage. They will be better defensively, and we will be better offensively.
    Likely starter is sophomore Drake Maye, who was a 4/5-star former Alabama commit and was top 10 nationally at his position. Saban came to town to watch him play basketball in high school. He's going to be good and he'll have nine starts under his belt before he faces Wake.

  12. #12
    Is Louisville any good?

    Having met some of their fans, I think they do not respect Wake Forest and due to our name (our name is not the name of a state, for example) they sort of respect us about as much as Austin-Peay, Bowling Green or Marshall.

    Meaning they count us as a "W" in FB and BB about 98% of the time.

    I am not cool with that - we should kick their ass.

  13. #13
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,403
    Louisville is not a state either.

  14. #14
    We are named after a municipality just like Louisville is
    Last edited by BarcaDeac; 08-02-2022 at 12:00 PM.

  15. #15
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    wakelaw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Likely starter is sophomore Drake Maye, who was a 4/5-star former Alabama commit and was top 10 nationally at his position. Saban came to town to watch him play basketball in high school. He's going to be good and he'll have nine starts under his belt before he faces Wake.
    I know. He was a big time recruit, and he's competing with another highly rated dual threat qb. But Howell was the best UNC quarterback...ever? My point was not that the UNC quarterback will suck, but that we beat Howell - who was really good - under similar circumstances.

    Also, UNC had just beaten South Carolina and Miami when they rolled in to Winston Salem with their fans yelling "Mack is Back" and claiming they wanted Bama. I don't think I've ever walked out of that stadium happier than I was that night.
    Last edited by wakelaw13; 08-02-2022 at 12:21 PM.

  16. #16
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,403
    So then Howell beat us the next two times we played him.

  17. #17
    Surprised by some of the takes here. I think we will dominate Louisville and also think we will beat State (who will probably shit the bed and lose to ECU to start the season). The real toss up, IMHO, is Clemson. Our entire team/staff knows the importance of that game and think we are going to pull out all the stops and finally get a W against them. If we can adjust to Clemson's defensive pressure, we can rack up points before they find a groove with their new coordinators as the season progresses. Not sure I'd want to play them in the latter half of the year.

    With that said, AT, Donovan, Key and Morin are going to get open against Clemson and State's defense, but I think the little underneath passes to Justice and even Whiteheart are going to be what opens up the offense and forces aggressive defenses to stay home. If we give up seven sacks and play too conservatively on defense in the second half and let Clemson run all over us again...well, we're going to lose. Would like to think we learned our lesson last year and that this is the year we really have a special season.

  18. #18
    We beat Clemson but lose two outta three to FSU/Louisville/State. Or maybe we lose to Clemson and win two outta those three. Either way think we end up 6-2 and 10-2 overall, another outstanding season

  19. #19
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    wakelaw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    So then Howell beat us the next two times we played him.
    I believe that supports my argument. We beat the best quarterback that UNC has ever had in his first season. Once again, we will be facing a UNC quarterback in his first season as a starter. That is an advantage, especially at home.

  20. #20
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,403
    That was also Mack's first year back. This is his third year. His initial recruits are now juniors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •