• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

United rally and get the win next Monday then we go ahead of Liverpool and out of the drop zone. What a time to be alive!

FUCKING WITCHCRAFT!

United rally and get the win next Monday then we go ahead of Liverpool and out of the drop zone. What a time to be alive!

Or United lose 6-0 and cement themselves at the bottom of the table. Could really go either way.

dv7 will have to explain to me how Romero pulling Cucurella to the ground by his hair wasn't sufficient enough to give a FK to Chelsea, negating the corner that led to the goal

Apparently Burley explained the refs only decision on the hair pull was whether it was a red card or not. If they decided a red then a FK, but when they decided not a red then they can't then just give a FK. But of course everyone thought it should have been a red, as believe it specifically states hair pulling is considered a violent act. Now maybe given that bouffant Cucurella sports the refs thought differently? Horrible missed call that cost Chelsea 3 points.

Apparently Burley explained the refs only decision on the hair pull was whether it was a red card or not. If they decided a red then a FK, but when they decided not a red then they can't then just give a FK. But of course everyone thought it should have been a red, as believe it specifically states hair pulling is considered a violent act. Now maybe given that bouffant Cucurella sports the refs thought differently? Horrible missed call that cost Chelsea 3 points.

Totally get that, makes sense with how VAR is governed in England. I mostly was meaning that Taylor was looking right at it, unobstructed, and didn’t whistle for a foul. And also being tongue in cheek about our resident Laws of the Game expert.

It’s an absurd error from Taylor but it’s an extraordinary decision from VAR to not give it as a red, that’s the exact sort of conduct that VAR was implemented to be able to rectify (or so I thought). Either way, definitely cost Chelsea the points.

That's a pretty good joke, good job Andy JB

That may be true but anyone who stands up and says he's considered leaving the sport (a sport in which he is very well paid and which he hasn't and isn't leaving) because of referees is a self-righteous jackass.

That may be true but anyone who stands up and says he's considered leaving the sport (a sport in which he is very well paid and which he hasn't and isn't leaving) because of referees is a self-righteous jackass.

I tend to agree with you on this point, though I think Pearson was being relatively hyperbolic about that specific point. What I can empathize with more is what he was getting at by the end of his comments (and appears to have decided in the moment not to take them to the logical conclusion) where people's jobs are on the line and the margins are so thin that clear and obvious errors by officiating, consistently week by week, can by the difference between keeping your job, being relegated, staying up, etc. It's one thing in the Premier League where there is a safety net of sorts and the managers are much better off than the EFL clubs (and VAR, for better or worse, is available). But down the pyramid, it's not so safe.

To Pearson's exact point, I think anyone worth their salt would accept losing games and eventually being sacked if it were merely down to performances game by game and if they didn't have the support of the squad.

I tend to agree with you on this point, though I think Pearson was being relatively hyperbolic about that specific point. What I can empathize with more is what he was getting at by the end of his comments (and appears to have decided in the moment not to take them to the logical conclusion) where people's jobs are on the line and the margins are so thin that clear and obvious errors by officiating, consistently week by week, can by the difference between keeping your job, being relegated, staying up, etc. It's one thing in the Premier League where there is a safety net of sorts and the managers are much better off than the EFL clubs (and VAR, for better or worse, is available). But down the pyramid, it's not so safe.

To Pearson's exact point, I think anyone worth their salt would accept losing games and eventually being sacked if it were merely down to performances game by game and if they didn't have the support of the squad.

The margins are fine but they exist for everyone. I'm fine with criticizing specific calls as they happen and expecting more from refs, but I find it lazy and petulant from Pearson to suggest that refs are the difference between keeping and losing your job.

you might understand more if you were on the wrong side of more calls, jusssssssssayin

I mean it does lower/change my interest in the sport as a fan. I’ve made peace with the PL being more entertainment than actual athletic competition. Which maybe that is the goal, to make it about banter and not results. The officiating is farcical at times, particularly the leagues application of VAR.

Back