• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

United playing 4D chess!!11!

Signing Dest for 20-25m Euros is the exact amount Barca need to pay FdJ in back pay.

dumb-and-dumber-stupid.gif

Nottingham Forest are going crazy. Love it. Just signed Morgan Gibbs-White. They have like 15 new players.

16! they've bought a new squad and a half!

like what wolves have done by comparison, used the MGW money to go buy two experienced, proven players in the position.

was discussing with friends how much this feels like 18/19 fulham. so many signings, and whether it tanks them this year or in a couple years, it's sort of a recipe for disaster.

you might understand more if you were on the wrong side of more calls, jusssssssssayin

Liverpool lost the league a year ago by a single point. The margin couldn't have been slimmer. I could point to a number of calls that had they gone differently, would have led to Liverpool winning the league. Had Paul Tierney, for example, applied the same standards to Kane's two footed studs up challenge in the Spurs-Pool game at Anfield as he had to the tackle when he sent Robertson off, Liverpool likely win that game and the league.

While I was pissed at the time of the Spurs game, because I thought Tierney's performance was awful, it is simply just lazy, whining nonsense to blame Liverpool's second place finish on refs or Tierney. Every team has calls go against it, and the impact can be meaningful. It's just self-righteous nonsense to say you're thinking of quitting the profession because of referees.

The refs are human and have a very tough job. My own view is that the standard is generally poor but I also think that it's likely always been this way and that the massive growth of the premier league, and all the scrutiny that comes with it, is why we perceive it to be worse than other leagues.

not really worth arguing but the difference between 1st and 2nd =/= the difference between keeping and losing your job

the quality of officiating hasn't risen with everything else regarding the quality of the product on the field

Liverpool lost the league a year ago by a single point. The margin couldn't have been slimmer. I could point to a number of calls that had they gone differently, would have led to Liverpool winning the league. Had Paul Tierney, for example, applied the same standards to Kane's two footed studs up challenge in the Spurs-Pool game at Anfield as he had to the tackle when he sent Robertson off, Liverpool likely win that game and the league.

While I was pissed at the time of the Spurs game, because I thought Tierney's performance was awful, it is simply just lazy, whining nonsense to blame Liverpool's second place finish on refs or Tierney. Every team has calls go against it, and the impact can be meaningful. It's just self-righteous nonsense to say you're thinking of quitting the profession because of referees.

The refs are human and have a very tough job. My own view is that the standard is generally poor but I also think that it's likely always been this way and that the massive growth of the premier league, and all the scrutiny that comes with it, is why we perceive it to be worse than other leagues.

did you also track the iffy calls that went Liverpool's way that year?

I get it, but I don't think it's particularly self-righteous (to use the BTB term) for a manager to complain that officials can affect a person's job. It's one thing for us fans to complain about calls, we just sit there and watch. When it's your livelihood on the line (players, coaches, staff), the stakes of officiating decisions are pretty fucking high, and the standard for English officials is therefore pretty shocking. I'm glad managers can be outspoken about structural problems in the game, and I think calling them self-righteous ignores that they're human beings trying to doing a job, a benefit of the doubt you're willing to give referees.

I don't agree with Brasky that there's a big Sky 6 cabal that controls the outcomes of matches or whatever, and don't really care about overall bias in officiating. If anything, the bias isn't in favor of given clubs or players beyond just basic star treatment that exists in any sport, it's really that officials just back each other up too much. VAR and the fourth official should be an independent body from the on-field officials. Instead, they're friends who get drinks and vacation together and have the same contracts and agents and stuff; they don't want to overrule their friends! That takes away from what video review could offer the sport. That issue, plus not addressing time wasting or time the ball is in play more specifically, take away from the game. Certain managers play into that like Tuchel and Thomas Frank, and certain managers don't.

Last edited:

lol

Time flies man, can’t believe Real Madrid would let Casemiro go until I look it up and he’s 30 and been a regular for 7 seasons already

I get it, but I don't think it's particularly self-righteous (to use the BTB term) for a manager to complain that officials can affect a person's job. It's one thing for us fans to complain about calls, we just sit there and watch. When it's your livelihood on the line (players, coaches, staff), the stakes of officiating decisions are pretty fucking high, and the standard for English officials is therefore pretty shocking. I'm glad managers can be outspoken about structural problems in the game, and I think calling them self-righteous ignores that they're human beings trying to doing a job, a benefit of the doubt you're willing to give referees.

My use of the term self-righteous was more about Pearson's suggestion that he was considering leaving the profession due to the state of refereeing. I don't mind criticism of refs where it's warranted, I just found it obnoxious that a man whose made a very good living coaching would suggest that he would walk away from the game because the refs, who again are human and have a very tough job, are not up to his standards. It just reeks of I'm better than these guys when in reality, they've achieved the very same level that he has.

All jokes about Manchester United and Casemiro aside, I think we’re about to get Good Fred and y’all are not ready for that. I will be vindicated in all my takes about Fred, he’s about to go all Brazil Fred on the league.

All jokes about Manchester United and Casemiro aside, I think we’re about to get Good Fred and y’all are not ready for that. I will be vindicated in all my takes about Fred, he’s about to go all Brazil Fred on the league.

sure

It just went from 6 to midnight

Chelsea have raised the possibility of taking Maguire to west London as part of United’s attempts to sign Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic

Back