• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

FWIW, last year, Michigan was not ranked in the preseason poll. UGA was #5.

This makes me laugh:

UNC was #9

It's a crime what happened to Michigan last year. They was robbed in the preseason rankings and it ruined their season !

Purely semantics, but a preseason poll and a ranking are two different things: a poll is where you think a team will end up at the end of the season, and a ranking is where you think a team is at a specific point of the season based on results to-date. So I think an argument could be made that preseason polls are fine, but maybe hold off on an actual in-season, results-based ranking until week 4 or so. But either way it mostly just gives the media and us fans something to talk/complain about

Pitt and NC State are too high for sure...surprised that Clemson came in at #4 despite the defense they have coming back.

Can't wait for ECU to beat #13 State to start the season...

I don't understand all the handwringing about State

they outperformed Wake in most of the advanced rankings in 2021 and return a higher percentage of their production

I'm sure there are probably stats that show the bold to be true, but didn't State lose their 4 best offensive players last year other than Leary? Their defense should be pretty nasty, but Wake has been torching NFL-level talent on State defenses for years.

Wake Forest ranked 19th in the Coaches preseason football poll. An honor earned by last year's team and the consistency of Clawson's teams to finish the season with winning records and a bowl appearance. The Demon Deacons have finally earned the recognition its fans have clamored to receive.

The next step is for this years team to finish the year with a record that gains the respect of the college football nation. It requires a special mindset to accomplish and it must be earned.

So, if BC and WF both finish the season 9-3 and BC beats WF head to head, would WF be ranked higher because of the preseason bump for WF? Don’t think so.

Also, by the time the season ends, if there are two 12-1 (or 11-2) teams vying for a playoff bid everything would be scrutinized and don’t think preseason rankings would matter. Each week the importance of early season rankings mean less.

The higher you start, the more a loss is "good team had a bad game." Otherwise it's more "mediocre (or bad) team lost." Yawn.

I'm sure there are probably stats that show the bold to be true, but didn't State lose their 4 best offensive players last year other than Leary? Their defense should be pretty nasty, but Wake has been torching NFL-level talent on State defenses for years.

The biggest loss for State was that number 99 has no more eligibility. He was the designated hurt person when their defense needed a breather. Huge loss!

The biggest loss for State was that number 99 has no more eligibility. He was the designated hurt person when their defense needed a breather. Huge loss!

I have faith they can find another brittle body to wear the 99 jersey.

Texas is too high, Arkansas is too high, NC State is too high, Penn State and Iowa should be ranked, Fresno State and Boise State should be ranked. Also FSU is going to outperform State IMO. They win in Raleigh.

NCSU lost their top two RBs from last season. Both were difficult to tackle.

The more things change…

The more things change…

That’s really frustrating to read. If we have a decent defense this year, I think we play for the ACC title again. Hard to imagine our run defense can be any worse than last year.

To add a little more context: The first one was bottled up, just mass of humanity formed at the LOS, and Christian Turner bounced it. Was semi-fluky; not great for the defense but didn't feel like a blown fit or anything.

The second one ... yeesh. Will Towns ran through a hole I could've made it through.

So yeah, Aug. 9 isn't the time to be ringing the alarms and praying the offense scores 50 points/game. But if the shit keeps happening, things will look more like last year's Army, Clemson and UNC games than anybody would like.

Thanks for the context. Agree that it’s not time to start sounding the alarm, but man stuff like that can’t happen on a routine basis this season if we want it to be a special one.

I think our DL and secondary will both be good if not very good this year (assuming some guys stay healthy). Time for the LB group to step up…that’s been a weakness for some time now.

WF is two points behind Texas. Texas received a first-place vote (and their coach does not have a vote).

ETA: regarding the AP poll, WF has been ranked in one preseason poll, ever (#23 in 2008)

Apparently back in the 1940's there were no preseason polls

Thanks for sharing-digging your perspective.

To add a little more context: The first one was bottled up, just mass of humanity formed at the LOS, and Christian Turner bounced it. Was semi-fluky; not great for the defense but didn't feel like a blown fit or anything.

The second one ... yeesh. Will Towns ran through a hole I could've made it through.

So yeah, Aug. 9 isn't the time to be ringing the alarms and praying the offense scores 50 points/game. But if the shit keeps happening, things will look more like last year's Army, Clemson and UNC games than anybody would like.

offering context? In this economy?

Duke does have Elko now. I expect the defense will improve.

Back