• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Seems low. IMO we should be around where State is and State should be a couple of spots lower.

A healthy combination of respect and disrespect.

2021 Final Coaches Poll --> 2022 Preseason Coaches Poll

Clemson #16 --> #4
State #19 --> #13
Pitt #13 --> #16
Miami UR --> #17
Wake #14 --> #19

By conference:

SEC 6
ACC 5
Big Ten 4
Big XII 4
Pac-12 3
AAC 2
Indy 1

Last edited:
A healthy combination of respect and disrespect.

2021 Final AP Poll --> 2022 Preseason AP Poll

Clemson #14 --> #4
State #20 --> #13
Pitt #13 --> #16
Miami UR --> #17
Wake #15 --> #19

AP poll out next week...hoping the journalists have more respect for us. Also hoping that this year's State is last year's UNC (minus us losing to them, though)

WF is two points behind Texas. Texas received a first-place vote (and their coach does not have a vote).

ETA: regarding the AP poll, WF has been ranked in one preseason poll, ever (#23 in 2008)

Apparently back in the 1940's there were no preseason polls

Last edited:
I don't understand all the handwringing about State

they outperformed Wake in most of the advanced rankings in 2021 and return a higher percentage of their production

Pitt is entirely too high having lost Pickett and I believe their #1 WR transferred to USC. I don't care what kind of defense they return.

Wake should be closer to #12 or #13. Clemson at #4? Maybe. ND at #5 is a joke.

Clemson at #4 with two new coordinators. ND at #5 with a brand new head coach. I guess there's no need for them to earn respect.

Juice, the "handwringing" is how rivalries work. I don't really buy the "higher percentage of production" argument. I doubt Wake would be ranked higher than State if CBS came back to Wake.

Last edited:

they outperformed Wake in most of the advanced rankings in 2021 and return a higher percentage of their production

We beat them by 3 points 9 months ago !!!

Reminds me of 2004 when UNC-CH was ranked ahead of Wake in some basketball preseason polls and people were losing their shit because we went 21-10 the previous season and lost in the Sweet Sixteen and they went 19-11 and lost in the second round. Some of you may remember how that turned out.

It's State. We all know how this is going to end. the higher the preseason the most joyous the downfall and teeth gnashing will be.

Pitt is entirely too high having lost Pickett and I believe their #1 WR transferred to USC. I don't care what kind of defense they return.

Wake should be closer to #12 or #13. Clemson at #4? Maybe. ND at #5 is a joke.

Pitt also lost their OC.

It's State. We all know how this is going to end. the higher the preseason the most joyous the downfall and teeth gnashing will be.

Was just about to post something similar. Also, let's be clear about last year's Wake/NCSU game. Yes, we won by 3. However, with the exception of an absolutely GOD-AWFUL special teams effort (2 long NCSU returns and a cluster on an on-side kick), we win that game 2-3 touchdowns.

WF is two points behind Texas. Texas received a first-place vote (and their coach does not have a vote).

ETA: regarding the AP poll, WF has been ranked in one preseason poll, ever (#23 in 2008)

Apparently back in the 1940's there were no preseason polls

That's interesting - ever? Wow.

Reminded me the 2008 defense had me excited.

Seems like simple math to me. I don't like them, therefore they are overrated.

I think it's good for recruiting this year. Last year wasn't a fluke via this ranking. Other than that, it don't mean shit.

for some reason i thought we were ranked pre-season when we shit the bed against Air Force but I guess not. I wonder why i was so mad?

for some reason i thought we were ranked pre-season when we shit the bed against Air Force but I guess not. I wonder why i was so mad?

WF was #22 in Sports Illustrated's football preview issue that year

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/08/31/703267#&gid=ci0258bfdbd005278a&pid=703267---085---image

You were probably mad because we had a punt returner attempt to field a punt over his shoulder in the end zone, and gave up a punt block when AFA had a return on, among other craptastic issues that day.

Sports Illustrated ranked WF in their preseason top 25 that year. WF was getting preseason buzz for the first time in decades. It all came crashing down.

Preseason polls and preseason all American and all conference teams are dumb.

There should be no rankings before October. Usually WF has to face an uphill battle to get ranked. It’s nice to get preseason juice, but no one will care about preseason rankings as the season moves forward.

Sports Illustrated did have us ranked preseason, and at that time the magazine had a very high profile so it did get a fair amount of attention. IIRC we went to Colo. Springs and lost like 42-0, with much of the blame going to our guys cramping up b/c they had been on a heavy creatine regimen that offseason.

Back