• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

There was a funny moment at ACC Kickoff with Elko that I'm sure Clawson would get a kick out of.

He was talking about being a first-time head coach and any surprises, and said something to the extent of: When I was a defensive coordinator, I thought I was running about 50% of the program. You know, you've got control of the defense, you think you know what it takes to run half of the program. Well then I become a head coach and I realize that the defensive coordinator runs about 10%, the offensive coordinator runs about 10%, and the other 80% is the head coach. I had no idea.

Was telling us how he never envisioned having people ask about the stuff he gets asked about, like what pictures he wants to have on walls outside the weight room, random shit like that.

To Ph's point ... I mean, their scheme is going to improve. They *probably* won't be dead last in the country in defense, which is what Duke was last year. But if they were happy with the players in the program, they wouldn't have 26 commits right now.

baseless speculation inbound, but gut feeling is it's something heart-related based on the language.

whatever it is, the good news is he's got a great medical team in winston to help him.

It's kind of a bizarre scene out here: Sam is at practice with his left arm in a full wrap, but there's no official word it has anything to do with his arm. He seems like he's in good spirits. I imagine if this was life-threatening, he wouldn't be out here less than 24 hours after being in the hospital.

It's kind of a bizarre scene out here: Sam is at practice with his left arm in a full wrap, but there's no official word it has anything to do with his arm. He seems like he's in good spirits. I imagine if this was life-threatening, he wouldn't be out here less than 24 hours after being in the hospital.

Well that’s good news at least.

2022 Football Deacs season thread (Get well soon, Sam!)

I’d hope so. The AP voted shouldn’t be influenced by the coaches poll.

Last edited:
Reporters all think they're smarter than the coaches anyway.

from the Athletic's football freaks list

90. Dion Bergan, Wake Forest, nose tackle

Even though he’s a bit under 300 pounds, the 6-1, 298-pound senior from Florida, who excelled in high school in wrestling and track, is the strongest player on the Demon Deacons team. Bergan (25 tackles, 5.5 TFLs in 2021) squats 700 pounds and has power-cleaned more than 400. He also vertical-jumped a shade under 30 inches.

This is probably the best offensive line we've ever had. Has anyone else ever thought what it might be like to set up in the I formation and just pound the ball down the field. Left tackle, Right tackle, up the gut. Not as the primary offense, but just pull it out out of nowhere during the course of a game.

This is probably the best offensive line we've ever had. Has anyone else ever thought what it might be like to set up in the I formation and just pound the ball down the field. Left tackle, Right tackle, up the gut. Not as the primary offense, but just pull it out out of nowhere during the course of a game.

Best offensive line of Clawson era maybe but Grobe administration had some good ones- early years with Clabo, Moroz, etc. and then 2006 with Vallos, Justice, etc.

I would love to see a package like this run consistently during the course of every game. We need a way to eat up minutes on the clock and protect a lead. Wouldn't hurt to let our defense stay on the sideline for more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time. But if we were to run this package, we've got to commit to it. This only works if you're pounding people for large portions of the game. The D-Line wears down and you get chuck gains on the ground.

I would love to see a package like this run consistently during the course of every game. We need a way to eat up minutes on the clock and protect a lead. Wouldn't hurt to let our defense stay on the sideline for more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time. But if we were to run this package, we've got to commit to it. This only works if you're pounding people for large portions of the game. The D-Line wears down and you get chuck gains on the ground.

We were able to do this against State last year which was the difference in the game in my opinion.

Back