• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out indefinitely

To further drive that point home: We were told at the outset of today's scrimmage that we couldn't even report if Sam was there or not.

This is some bizarro Ron Wellman-caliber shit.

yeah, never going to be surprised if this group is tight lipped after wakeyleaks. tbh don't have a problem with it.

yeah, never going to be surprised if this group is tight lipped after wakeyleaks. tbh don't have a problem with it.

I mean yea no shit

what is the risk of saying Hartman is at practice, though?

he’s not gonna play for awhile so there’s nothing strategic happening there

if anything, then the response from the football world (not to mention our fans) suggests that people would love to hear how Hartman’s doing (now that the worst appears to be over)

it just makes me think the staff is trying hide something

I trust Clawson and he can use whatever strategy helps, even a tiny bit. We are not on a NEED to know basis!

Hard to think of a Wake football player I like more than Hartman, really hope he can go this season

I trust Clawson and he can use whatever strategy helps, even a tiny bit. We are not on a NEED to know basis!

yea yea i get it but like idk there doesn't seem to be any reason to make the beat writers feel like they can't even report that the kid is at practice

idk i love this staff about as much as I've ever loved a coaching staff at Wake, but this is just weird to me (ymmv i suppose)

If it makes you feel any better, whether or not Hartman is at practice a few days after being declared out indefinitely is one of the least important things someone could report from practice. So it’s fine to give that up to respect Hartman’s privacy as he recovers.

yea yea i get it but like idk there doesn't seem to be any reason to make the beat writers feel like they can't even report that the kid is at practice

idk i love this staff about as much as I've ever loved a coaching staff at Wake, but this is just weird to me (ymmv i suppose)

There are some valid reasons I can think of that would cause the staff to not allow reporting of Hartman's presence or absence. One obvious one is the distraction of the is he or isn't he? question. It's a team, and reporting on Sam's status takes away focus on team members efforts to get better each practice. Part of the whole team not individual concept.

Another is Sam's privacy for future treatment and rehab work.

If the staff has told reporters not to report Sam's presence or absence, we need to respect that.

If it makes you feel any better, whether or not Hartman is at practice a few days after being declared out indefinitely is one of the least important things someone could report from practice. So it’s fine to give that up to respect Hartman’s privacy as he recovers.

i know i know

i'll leave it

My guess keeping it hush hush is to maintain a decent preseason ranking.

When was the last time a top 25 college player, ACC starter or Power 5 starting QB was out with an injury/disease/surgery/personal reason for a significant period of time and the public had no details about what it was? I can't think of a single one. We heard about the Covid cases, we have heard about players with cancer missing the season, or players who took time off for death of a family member, but I cant think of another player where the public was kept so in the dark as in this case. I may be wrong, but I can't think of a single instance that is similar to this one.

And no, I am not making a judgment call on whether this is the right thing or wrong thing, I am of the belief that the details will come out at some point, when Sam and his family are ready, as is their right. I just think this is a very unique situation we find ourselves in.

When was the last time a top 25 college player, ACC starter or Power 5 starting QB was out with an injury/disease/surgery/personal reason for a significant period of time and the public had no details about what it was? I can't think of a single one. We heard about the Covid cases, we have heard about players with cancer missing the season, or players who took time off for death of a family member, but I cant think of another player where the public was kept so in the dark as in this case. I may be wrong, but I can't think of a single instance that is similar to this one.

And no, I am not making a judgment call on whether this is the right thing or wrong thing, I am of the belief that the details will come out at some point, when Sam and his family are ready, as is their right. I just think this is a very unique situation we find ourselves in.

Yep. Unique. Would also add that Clawson has as tight of control on the WF football program as any coach has on any Power V program. If Clawson lays down the law that no information is going to get out about Sam's status and injury, then the assistants abide, the players abide, even the reporters that cover the team abide. Really hard to tightly control an organization as big as a football program (100+ players, dozens of assistants, trainers, advisors). Pretty remarkable, given that breaking the story would generate lots of buzz.

I think this is a weird case where giving out more info might actually lead to more speculation, somehow, and probably end up being even more of a distraction -- it's that odd a deal/injury/condition. Gotta go with Claw on this one even though it is def weird.

I think this is a weird case where giving out more info might actually lead to more speculation, somehow, and probably end up being even more of a distraction -- it's that odd a deal/injury/condition. Gotta go with Claw on this one even though it is def weird.
...and from this, I've taken that Hartman may return sooner than later and Clawson sees this working to his team's advantage with Clemson and wants total mystery surrounding the situation. I'm sure I'm dead-ass wrong but that's my belief at this point.

Back