• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out indefinitely

Just read on twitter he had arm surgery in HS to remove a mass due to thyroid issues. I don't know anything a thyroid but just putting it out there.

They already said it’s not related to that previous situation.

The big C is what I was worried about, too, given the seriousness and discretion with which it’s being treated. I’m very relieved to know that’s off the table.

He’s been such a perfect fit for our school and team. One of our greats.

I'm absolutely not a serious person in the least, but this is probably not a thread where posters should joke about Sam's health situation. It just seems to me anyway.

If it is a blood clot, I’m just glad that they detected it fairly early and he didn’t have a pulmonary embolism incident in the middle of a game, which is what could’ve happened if they didn’t detect it.

Also curious the level of physical activity someone can do while on blood thinners.

guess he got injured outside of practice

didn't we have a RB who was 1 or 2 on the depth chart break a bone falling from the bunk beds in the dorm once.

Edit to point out that yes we did and mentioned already.

Last edited:
If it is a blood clot, I’m just glad that they detected it fairly early and he didn’t have a pulmonary embolism incident in the middle of a game, which is what could’ve happened if they didn’t detect it.

Also curious the level of physical activity someone can do while on blood thinners.

I live on blood thinners and live a normal active life.

Yeah, but you're at a much lower risk of suffering a significant contact injury (particularly an internal injury) that could bleed out. If Dortch had been on blood thinners, for example, he very well might have/would have died. I imagine the risk of TBIs is quite a bit greater on blood thinners as well.

Sounds like he may not need them or need them for very long though.

Yeah, but you're at a much lower risk of suffering a significant contact injury (particularly an internal injury) that could bleed out. If Dortch had been on blood thinners, for example, he very well might have/would have died. I imagine the risk of TBIs is quite a bit greater on blood thinners as well.

Sounds like he may not need them or need them for very long though.

Cerebral Hemorrhage is the risk - it's a kind of stroke, so similar to TBI.

You can not play football on coumadin.

And a clot would require at least six months on it.

Family member took Eliquis to reduce a clot (as described above by deac03) and was told by her doctor that a minor traffic accident or a fall down the stairs could be a life-changing or life-threatening event. Perhaps the doctor was being hyperbolic; I don't know, but based on that I don't see playing football while on Eliquis.

You can not play football on coumadin.

And a clot would require at least six months on it.

I think Eliquis would be the first line prescription unless he has a medical reason he can't take it.

Coumadin has a ton of side effects and food interactions, so not used as much anymore. And requires regular INR checks.

Back