• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soooo who’s going to throw the ball now?

wakefan1995

Reaction score
First and foremost shoutout to Sam, he’s the man but obviously Clemson has paid him to sit out until Week 5 to make sure they win the ACC this year. Ok jokes aside. The questions got to be asked.

Who’s going to be our QB1 going into Vanderbilt? I imagine VMI we’ll have 2 QBs competing, likely Kern and a Freshman.

Kern and Mitch Griffis were already competing to be the #2 QB. Now that competition is for QB1.

My money is on Kern to start. This is based on when they needed someone to come in against Clemson, it was Kern. Everything else all season was mop up duty, which included Santino and Leo as well Mitch.

Mauk got any eligibility left? Heard he threw a football over a mountain once.

With the lack of transfer rules now maybe Edwards will just come back!

At least we'll get a preview of next year. I wonder if they will alternate series, quarters or halves with the QB candidates in the VMI game.

Sam's health is all that matters, but if he's out for most or all of the season the over/under on our win total drops by four or five games at least. :(

I thought Kern looked like our future QB1 early in his career. He's got a big arm and a really pure throwing motion. Our system depends on making the right initial read, and since he's been in the program for 4 years I have to think he's ready to run the offense.

Sure, toss up games like at FSU or Louisville become instant losses.

Issue is the drop off. With Newman/Hartman the drop off was very minimal. We've been spoiled.

What is Mitch's athleticism like? Can he run?

Let's hope he has improved since spring. He looked like QB6 in the spring game.

I don't get Griffis being #1 given his spring performance or lack thereof. I can only assume that Kern simply can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson. He certainly has the better arm of the two.

Kern cannot run the RPO. He seems like a good thrower but not at all a threat with his legs or movement. I never really understood why he’s been in an offense that could not be more opposite of his strengths.

Kern cannot run the RPO. He seems like a good thrower but not at all a threat with his legs or movement. I never really understood why he’s been in an offense that could not be more opposite of his strengths.

This is just wrong. Kern is a very good runner. It is just frustrating that after so many years in the program, he doesn't seem to be able to get traction for the #2 spot.

I don't get Griffis being #1 given his spring performance or lack thereof. I can only assume that Kern simply can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson. He certainly has the better arm of the two.

Or, which is the more likely scenario:

Kern can run the RPO, Mitch just is better, has a higher upside and shouldn't be held to one televised joke of a scrimmage. There are tons of practices, one data point isn't nearly enough to make decisions/assumptions off of

Kern seems to have all the tools on paper (height/speed/arm). I just wonder if it is between the ears.

Or, which is the more likely scenario:

Kern can run the RPO, Mitch just is better, has a higher upside and shouldn't be held to one televised joke of a scrimmage. There are tons of practices, one data point isn't nearly enough to make decisions/assumptions off of

But Cam, this destroys my narrative that Billy Edwards will win the Heisman in 2024

Back