• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCLXIV: Mrs. Mako Foot Photos on Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably the dumbest person here, but I think the difference is that it is real, not a theory or what you hope happens. Most of the time when someone moves they vacate another place. That is a real thing that happens. It is different than hoping that the money at the top trickles down to employees or creates more jobs instead of being kept by the top level.

The issue with "trickle down" isn't just whether or not it's real. The issue is if there could be a more efficient way to directly impact people who need the help instead of hoping somewhere down the line people spending on wealthy people will help people who can't afford housing.

Mako I can offer you a 60,000 job as a lab tech, 70,000 if you have a masters. You will also have to leave your wife and kids for 2 months in spring 2023 to visit Palau, Guam, and American Samoa.

Just missed you in St. John. Maybe I will see you in American Samoa next year. I have a lawsuit there and I am looking for any opportunity to turn it into a work vacation.

But they are not necessarily vacating an apartment in the same area. In Durham there are luxury apartments going up and people moving from different metro areas to fill them. So it’s not doing anything for the current residents to make housing cheaper

I can see how that could be an issue. If the increase in housing isn't outrunning the population growth, you don't really change anything.

But they are not necessarily vacating an apartment in the same area. In Durham there are luxury apartments going up and people moving from different metro areas to fill them. So it’s not doing anything for the current residents to make housing cheaper

I don't think most people moving into new luxury apartments are moving from different metro areas. The paper quoted above suggested that number is around 33%. But even conceding that number could be higher, or even much higher, in certain metros, what is the counterfactual here? If those apartments weren't built, do you think the people would not have moved there? Presumably they are coming in for a job in most instances, right? I can't imagine too many are making the call to move to a new city just because a particular apartment complex was built. And if they are coming for other reasons anyway, they have to live somewhere. Without those new apartments, they are trying to fit into existing housing stock, which drives up rents for everyone.

Gasoline Alley is such a great song. Rod Stewart is hella underrated.

Our high school football team runs out to Thunderstruck but I think Mother would be a more badass choice.

I mean Gilmour has a badass solo but not sure how I see the song being an overall better choice.

America should have an FA style cup tournament for Football. Start with HS teams then D3 then D2 then FCS to FBS and finally the pros. If you are afraid of students getting crushed we can limit it to XFL or USFl teams. Everyone says an NFL team would crush a college team but I would wager UGA or Bama could compete against the New Jersey Generals.

Gasoline Alley is such a great song. Rod Stewart is hella underrated.

Rod Stewart has 250 Million records sold worldwide, 10 number 1 albums, 31 top ten singles in the UK (6 reaching #1), 16 top ten singles in the US (four reaching #1)...which part of that is underrated?

I don't think most people moving into new luxury apartments are moving from different metro areas. The paper quoted above suggested that number is around 33%. But even conceding that number could be higher, or even much higher, in certain metros, what is the counterfactual here? If those apartments weren't built, do you think the people would not have moved there? Presumably they are coming in for a job in most instances, right? I can't imagine too many are making the call to move to a new city just because a particular apartment complex was built. And if they are coming for other reasons anyway, they have to live somewhere. Without those new apartments, they are trying to fit into existing housing stock, which drives up rents for everyone.

I don’t think the argument is that no apartments should be built at all. The argument is what is the proper ratio of luxury units to affordable units. As soon as ground is broken, that ratio is locked in. It makes sense, to a certain degree, for housing advocates to delay that groundbreaking to try to negotiate a higher ratio of affordable units.

Rod Stewart has 250 Million records sold worldwide, 10 number 1 albums, 31 top ten singles in the UK (6 reaching #1), 16 top ten singles in the US (four reaching #1)...which part of that is underrated?

You personally don’t appreciate him enough.

I am no policy expert as I work on the development side

I will read and come back -- perhaps on a more appropriate thread

Blueberry maple bourbon smash last night

Peach bourbon smash tonight

Gd now mother is stuck in my head. Great earworm song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back