• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

TBR, you are delusional if you think Woods is "underrated". He was pretty bad. I would love to read your rationale as to why you think Woods was an impact/contributing player. I'd rather have a Josh Shoemaker or Levy who I know wasn't nearly as highly rated yet contributed miles more than Woods did.

Thanks for the new 'Tree video...at least he can dunk and block shots.

TBR, you are delusional if you think Woods is "underrated". He was pretty bad. I would love to read your rationale as to why you think Woods was an impact/contributing player. I'd rather have a Josh Shoemaker or Levy who I know wasn't nearly as highly rated yet contributed miles more than Woods did.

You're basing that on their junior and senior years.

At least woods could hold down the paint. He provided a presence. He was no where near the player his rankings indicated. But he was still a rare talent just due to his size/strength. I think we can all now plainly see just how rare that is.

Ari had a ton of potential. But his ball-handling was an abomination. Not sure he will ever be able to harness his talent without drastically improved ball-handling.

Van Coleman's Hoopmasters - Class of 2012 -Post Summer Top 150

#64 A. White
#75 A. Rountree
#77 A. Moto
#79 Z. Edosomwan
#82 Cody Miller-McIntyre
#138 D. Thomas

Tony Woods was not good. PERIOD. And he would not have lit the world on fire as an upperclassman. He had terrible hands, very little basketball IQ, could not pass for his life out of the post, traveled and picked up his pivot foot CONSTANTLY, turned it over practically every time he got the post feed and put it on the floor, and was a poor free throw shooter. Oh, but he had a "presence" in the post...get real. His only "rare talent" is that he somehow was rated 5 stars and managed to be that bad.

Onward and upward...enough of this discussion.

Andrew White - please come to Wake Forest.

Oh, but he had a "presence" in the post...get real. His only "rare talent" is that he somehow was rated 5 stars and managed to be that bad.

If you watched the lay up drills that took place last year and likely will take place this year you would take that presence everytime, along with his poor hands and shitty foot work.

You will probably not be very impressed with the hands/foot work/ free throw shooting of some of these kids we are recruiting now at the PF position. But we need their toughness and presence, period.

Rountree: VC- 75
SC- 86
DT- NR
NS- NR/ BO- NR
RC- NR

CMM: VC- 82
SC- 68
DT- 82
NS- 95/ BO- 41
RC- 67

So that's the attempt at a RSCI for our guys. (Washington isn't ranked by any service, so he's not included). Only service that RSCI used this past year that I couldn't find was PrepStars, which is subscription only, so I've alternatively used the NorthStar and Oettinger rankings.

Rountree would get 41 points, and CMM would get either 111 or 165, depending on whether you prefer NorthStar or Oettinger. Based on last year's final rankings, that would make Rountree #97 in the RSCI and CMM would be either 78 or 67.

That puts CMM on par with Carson (#66 in 2010) or Weaver (#73 in 2005). Rountree is in the Tabb range (#93 in 2010).

Tony Woods was not good. PERIOD. And he would not have lit the world on fire as an upperclassman. He had terrible hands, very little basketball IQ, could not pass for his life out of the post, traveled and picked up his pivot foot CONSTANTLY, turned it over practically every time he got the post feed and put it on the floor, and was a poor free throw shooter. Oh, but he had a "presence" in the post...get real. His only "rare talent" is that he somehow was rated 5 stars and managed to be that bad.

Not that it matters, but we needed Woods' physical defensive presence around the rim last year like a dying man needed water. He might never have scored a bucket, but he was a large man who regularly intimidated the other team's big guys, by the end of his sophomore year, and could guard and rebound. Massive bulk was pretty much our major failing (along with poor PG play), so it's hard to argue that Woods wouldn't have helped tremendously last year and this year.

It's meaningless now, but this whole "Woods was no good, why do people think he would have helped?" line of argument is crazy. A massive center with coordination would have helped plenty. Still would.

Not that it matters, but we needed Woods' physical defensive presence around the rim last year like a dying man needed water. He might never have scored a bucket, but he was a large man who regularly intimidated the other team's big guys, by the end of his sophomore year, and could guard and rebound. Massive bulk was pretty much our major failing (along with poor PG play), so it's hard to argue that Woods wouldn't have helped tremendously last year and this year.

It's meaningless now, but this whole "Woods was no good, why do people think he would have helped?" line of argument is crazy. A massive center with coordination would have helped plenty. Still would.

Facts:
1. Woods was not a good basketball player
2. Woods would have helped us last year.

Both true (not mutually exclusive).

You don't have to be offensively gifted to be a huge factor in a basketball game. Tony Woods would've helped us a ton if he was around.

PrepStars Top 100 2012

#66 Codi M.-McIntyre
#67 A. Moto
#77 A.White
#81 Z. Edosomwva

I never said he wouldn't have helped last year. I said he isn't a good player.

As was stated by another they aren't mutually exclusive.

Woods was really starting to develop his offensive game towards the latter part of his sophomore year. He was averaging like 6 to 7 PPG against ACC comp late in the year.

Totally reasonable to suspect that he would have been an 8-10 PPG scorer last year and a much needed post presence.

Fwiw, from now on, I'll be negrepping anyone and everyone who uses this thread to debate Tony Woods.

This Scout article on Zena makes it sound like he wants to visit all of his final 6 this fall, but isn't sure if he'll have time to do that. So it's definitely a good sign we already have our visit scheduled. He's visiting USC the weekend before us, and Harvard the week after.

Tony Woods not being particularly good and yet, still being able to help last season are not mutually exclusive concepts. We were fucking awful last year. In almost every conceivable way, particularly defensively and on the glass.

Is Tony Woods a solid starting ACC-caliber player? Ehh, probably not.
Would Tony Woods have played a lot of minutes on last year's time, lessening the need to give substantial minutes to Ty Walker and Nikita M? You bet your ass.

Back