• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Love it. Thanks!

Minor nitpicky correction: the recruiting chart post shows the scholarship chart

Recruits in table form is just coming out as the scholarships in table form on my computer. We desperately need to sign a center in 2013 as in 2014 we will only have Washington...unless Green is considered a center.

Thanks for calling my attention to this, should be fixed now.

Can this thread be tacked so it can be continually updated?

Ed. to add: Never mind, I see that it has.

Any indication who we stand a chance with of the listed recruits?:

The color coding is his best guess

Right. Most of the names are in black simply because it's still really early in the 2013 cycle, and I'm just getting started with this project. I've hardly looked at the non-offered guys yet. Eventually, all of the names listed will be colored.

To try and answer psy's question though, the top two guys where there is significant mutual interest are Greg McClinton and Anton Gill. Either would be a big-time get.

stonz why do you think the staff is hopeful to have a 2 man 2013 class? Because we have good interest from 2 top 30 players? To balance out the classes some before an influx of open 2014 schollies?

Not to speak for him, but I suspect that if Cmm is as good as advertised, a scholly will open up for that class. Like you said, it also makes sense from a balance perspective.

Apparently we're close to offering an RJ Currington, 2013 SG. Per recruit scoop's Twitter. Thoughts?

Just found him on scout.4* oak hill kid. Ranked 84. Backup plan in case one of mcclinton or gill doesn't work out?

Last edited:
stonz why do you think the staff is hopeful to have a 2 man 2013 class? Because we have good interest from 2 top 30 players? To balance out the classes some before an influx of open 2014 schollies?

Thanks for the question; I didn't really explain my thought process here very well.

I agree that balance may play a role. I think its more about the depth chart though, as well as the specific number.

This upcoming year, we've got 5 guys for 2 spots:

PG: Fields
PG/SG: TC, Harris
SG: JTT, Chase

Someone is going to end up at the bottom of the totem pole, so to speak. There are very few scholarship players that are content playing 3rd string.

Then, if the problem doesn't come to a head this season, it almost assuredly will in the fall of 2012. None of the above 5 graduate, plus we add CMM. And supposedly Rountree could play the 2 a little bit (I've never seen him play, so no comment there).

Long story short, it's hard to envision Fields, CJ, TC, CMM, Chase, and JTT getting through the 2012-2013 season without someone looking for an exit. I imagine the staff feels the same way.

The other thing to consider is that most coaches try to avoid 1-man classes. Besides the balance issue, it is a real negative in terms of the adjustment process. You don't want a player making the transition from HS to college ball feeling as if no-one else can relate to what he's going through. Think about situations like housing: You don't want a player dealing with a random roommate his freshman year; living in a single could be an issue as well in terms of acclimating. It's preferable to have multiple freshmen. Oftentimes they help motivate each other. It's harder to be late to an early-morning practice if you are living with someone who has the exact same commitment. Most coaches try to create a family-like atmosphere among their players, and it's significantly easier for 1 person to fall through the cracks than 2. This may seem like a little thing, but coaches really do look at this kind of stuff.

Apparently we're close to offering an RJ Currington, 2013 SG. Per recruit scoop's Twitter. Thoughts?

Just found him on scout.4* oak hill kid. Ranked 84. Backup plan in case one of mcclinton or gill doesn't work out?

Thanks for the heads up about that tweet. I've actually already got him on the "Targets" list, so you don't even need to search for his scout page. Post #4 in this thread has links to his scout, rivals, and espn pages.

Do we have any chance with Zach Banner, thats the kind of size I think we need. I would like to see us pick up a 6'7-6'9 bruiser.

God I wish lol.

(For those a bit lost, Zach Banner is a 6'9, ~310 lb offensive tackle. One of the best football recruits in the 2012 class).

Thanks for the question; I didn't really explain my thought process here very well.

I agree that balance may play a role. I think its more about the depth chart though, as well as the specific number.

This upcoming year, we've got 5 guys for 2 spots:

PG: Fields
PG/SG: TC, Harris
SG: JTT, Chase

Someone is going to end up at the bottom of the totem pole, so to speak. There are very few scholarship players that are content playing 3rd string.

Then, if the problem doesn't come to a head this season, it almost assuredly will in the fall of 2012. None of the above 5 graduate, plus we add CMM. And supposedly Rountree could play the 2 a little bit (I've never seen him play, so no comment there).

Long story short, it's hard to envision Fields, CJ, TC, CMM, Chase, and JTT getting through the 2012-2013 season without someone looking for an exit. I imagine the staff feels the same way.

The other thing to consider is that most coaches try to avoid 1-man classes. Besides the balance issue, it is a real negative in terms of the adjustment process. You don't want a player making the transition from HS to college ball feeling as if no-one else can relate to what he's going through. Think about situations like housing: You don't want a player dealing with a random roommate his freshman year; living in a single could be an issue as well in terms of acclimating. It's preferable to have multiple freshmen. Oftentimes they help motivate each other. It's harder to be late to an early-morning practice if you are living with someone who has the exact same commitment. Most coaches try to create a family-like atmosphere among their players, and it's significantly easier for 1 person to fall through the cracks than 2. This may seem like a little thing, but coaches really do look at this kind of stuff.

Good answer, thanks. Definitely agree about the 1/2 depth issue. And the 1 man class issue makes a lot of sense and I never really thought about it before.

Do we have a realistic chance at any other 2012 big men? We could use 1-2 more.

Good job Stonz,

what about Lyles, the 13 PG from DeMatha who loves us, I thought that we offered him?

He's on there as a target. I'm pretty sure we have not offered yet.

Thanks for the great job stonz....this stuff is the reason I like the board(s).

Sent from my laptop using about 3 fingers.......

Aquille Carr?

I don't think we are really involved, although he certainly wants us to be. Couple big, related issues with him:

1) He's old. Relatively speaking of course. He started high school as a 16 year old. He had an incredible sophomore season this past winter, but development wise he is already a junior or a senior, which means his upside is significantly lower than you might otherwise assume.

2) Of course this raises the obvious question... how did he become a 16 year old freshman? I've read in a couple of different places that his academics are an absolute mess.

Also, based on his Colorado teams, [Redacted] seems to prefer tall guards.

Looks like Jake Layman (2012) has an offer according to Brendan Hall from ESPN

Back