• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

At least, the 2012 class is a big improvement over 2011. Congrats to Coach Bz and Coach Battle. Seems like an effective partnership, hope it continues and the on court product is better this season as well.

When given some time to recruit the staff delivered an excellent class.

It's overrated by Scout as #8 and will likely drop a few slots on ESPN when more people sign. But will end up in the Top 15 or so. Something else to thik about is in 2-3 years most of our class will still be here, many of the others won't.

There is no way to tell how much ours or any other class will be here in 2-3 years. That is just a guessing game.

There is no way to tell how much ours or any other class will be here in 2-3 years. That is just a guessing game.

Recent 5-6 man classes:

2010:
McKie
Chennault
Carson
JTT- gone
Tabb- gone

2006:
Ish
LD
Chas
Skeen- left
Gurley- left
Crawford- left

2002:
Eric
Gray
Trent
Ellis
Joyce- left

1998:
Songaila
Scott
Hicks
Murray
Dawson

1997:
ROK
Viddy
Shoe
Griffin- left
Arinze- left
Aron McMillian- left

Possible, but extremely optimistic, to think that more than four of them will end their career at Wake.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Devin's dad was a coach.

It sounds great that he intends to add at least ten more pounds before arriving in Deacdom.

Something I noticed just by watching the little piece of film and reading about Devin is that it seems like he has been very well coached. He's got very polished post moves for a highschool kid, constantly works for position on the blocks and seems to play within himself.

Somebody obviously identified early on that he should be a pure big and implemented that mindset. It sounds simple enough but its surprising to see how many kids get to the next level with no clue how to play like a big. I guess we know who that coach is. Very good to see.

:thumbsup:

I like this class a lot. One, they all seem to have really good teeth. That's got to mean good hygiene, right? In all seriousness, having heard four of the six interviewed, it appears an emphasis was made on intelligence. At least for the four, I would think there won't be any 3:30 AM phone calls.

Without naming names, you go back and listen to interviews heck even signing press conferences for some of the guys over the last 4 or 5 classes, and there was a lot of immaturity to say the least. Don't get that sense with these last two classes at all.

Not a sock thing, that is not where I'm going, but this seems to be the direction that Wellman was wanting to turn back around ...

Reading this article got me thinking -- is there an NCAA rule that would prohibit our strength and condition coach from contacting the super six once they've signed and helping them get some spring workouts set up?

The article about Thomas and his personal trainer is a bit of a different situation, but it says that Thomas' trainer is going to meet with Greg Brittenham, Wake's S&C coach to get Thomas "acclimated to the Deacons' program"

So again, is there something to stop our coaches from getting in touch with these guys once they've signed and laying out individual workouts? Kinda like during the summer, when coaches can't have organized practices but can still hand out individual workouts?

We basically just had a tornado of destruction pummel our house. Or maybe it was a fancy trailer by that point. Or maybe just a standard FEMA issued trailer...

Anyway, it's rebuild the foundation time, and this class (at least on paper) seems like exactly what the doctor ordered. Good skill set, versatile players, smart kids, 4 year guys... In a perfect world we overachieve a bit this year as the system starts working for us instead of against us, and the strength of next year's class helps us land a superstar for the following year.

We're due for some good things to happen to the program, right?

I've always believed that Buzz would be successful on the recruiting front if given a chance to recruit to the right place. Let's see, he's previously coached at UMBC, Air Force, and Colorado. Not exactly a murderer's row of college programs.

You're just not going to get talent to either of those places unless you luck out on an Alec Burk on occasion. I think Air Force still might be the losingest D1 program in history.

Wake Forest basketball and the ACC still have good cache among talented high school players. The other three have none.

Other than Codi being a better all around player....

I'm still waiting for the first "expert" who can tell me the difference between a guy ranked #80 and #140.

When I asked a major publication's national college bball writer what the difference between #40 and #100,he just laughed.

There is a difference between Top 25 and #75 but much less between #75 and #125.

When you get out of the Top 25-40, it can often be as arbitrary as when the kid is seen or what team he plays for.

Seeing as Lewis is ranked #59 in the RSCI and CMM is ranked #75, it seems you've found your "expert." Congratulations!

Last edited:
Lewis and CMM are both going to be very good ACC players. CMM will be better on the defensive end and TL is the best assist man in the class. State has already experienced a bump in recruiting because guys like to have TL as their point.

Initially I was very disappointed in the TL situation, but after how CMM has developed I'm totally fine with it. I just dread watching the Deacs play against Lewis for 4 years.

Back