• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to: Create and upload an avatar

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to use the first few slides from my FAQ on how to upload a picture for my avatar discussion. We'll use the same picture for simplicities sake.

Step 1: Find an image of whatever it is you want to be your avatar. It could be a picture of Tim Duncan, or Sarah Palin. In this instance, its a troll. I normally use google images but the concept is the same no matter where you find the picture.

image1.png

Step 2: Right click and save the picture to your harddrive in a place that you'll be able to find it later.

image2.png

Step 3: Here is the file in your my pictures folder. It is labeled troll.jpg

image3.png

Last edited:
For the next step, if you picture is larger than the allotted size for avatars, you will need to resize the picture. There are some online options to use (type image resizer into google search) or you can use the software method. I use a program called Irfanview to resize and mess with my avatars.

For the next step, if you picture is larger than the allotted size for avatars, you will need to resize the picture. There are some online options to use (type image resizer into google search) or you can use the software method. I use a program called Irfanview to resize and mess with my avatars.

Step 4: Install Irfanview and open the program. Go to where your picture is saved and open it.

Step 5: Go to this menu and click the resize option in the drop down.

Step 6: Forums rules allow for a 100x100 pixel picture. You can constrain the proportions so that the picture does not look out of shape by clicking the box called preserve aspect ratios, or you can manually set the proportions.

Step 7:Go to the forums, go to user cp, go to your avatar and you can host the avatar via our hosting.

ALSO, CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE CHANGING YOUR AVATAR, NOT YOU PROFILE PICTURE. THE TWO ARE DIFFERENT THINGS.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can I upload a gif if its too large?

my avatar appears in my control panel and what not but not when I post. it's 100x100 and 2400 bytes.

wtf

Will it not do motion .gif or transparencies?

Irfanview? Yes, it will do these things, but they are more complicated.

I meant the forums. My avatar is motion with a transparency. It's the same one I used on DS.

I saved this file and uploading it to your profile. It appears to be working now. I'm not sure what issue you were having.

Huh... weird. Thanks. All I did when I added the avatar was click upload and uploaded the file from my machine.

Huh... weird. Thanks. All I did when I added the avatar was click upload and uploaded the file from my machine.

Yeah, I figured that. It is strange that it wasn't working for you but it worked for me..

Anyway, keep an eye on it and let me know if you have any other problems.

Back