• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I "cured" a goth kid

I'm presently in a community theatre performance, and there are lots of teenagers in the cast. One of the cast members is a high school kid who wore all black clothes, painted her fingernails black, wore eyeglasses with heavy black frames, and lots of black/gray makeup. Early on, I jokingly asked her if she was planning to burglarize some businesses in her black attire, and she just gave me a bad look and didn't say anything. Over time, I started talking to her (along with the other teenagers) during practice about school, hobbies, friends, etc., and she began engaging in conversations in complete sentences without making a bad face. In the course of talking to her, I realized that she didn't have a father or father-figure in her life, so I started encouraging her especially with school, her part-time job, her singing ability, and so forth just to provide whatever little positive influence I could. A couple of weeks ago, she showed up to practice wearing contact lenses and a fashionable haircut. It was more of a "Joan Jet" style of haircut rather than a "Kate Upton" style, but it was stilll more fashionable than what she previously wore. And she had these strikingly deep dark eyes that I'd never noticed before. I casually told her that I liked her eyes. When I said that, it was the first time I'd ever seen her smile. Over the course of the next few days, she gradually started wearing colorful and fashionable clothes and more normal makeup. Now she looks and acts like a normal teenager, and she holds her head up and talks without scowling. I'm sure a lot of factors went into her dropping the goth act, but I hope I had a small part in it.

There are so many things to love about this post:

(1) Boogity performing in a community theatre. Is there a musical based on the music of the Eagles?

(2) The fact that this allegedly shy, mute, goth girl apparently made the decision to perform in a community play in which she would be acting and singing, as opposed to sitting in her bedroom cutting herself and listening to whatever music teen goth chicks listen to in 2011.

(3) The idea of Boogity striking up a conversation with a random teenager and talking about her friends. "So, we're in this play together. Pretty funny. So tell me about your best friend. What's her name? What kind of car does she drive?"

(4) Boogity acting as a father figure and giving encouragement to her about her part-time job. "Every day when you leave your job at Chick-Fil-A, you should ask yourself, 'what did I do today to make myself a better person?' If you do that, you will succeed, I promise."

(5) Everything about the physical transformation. If sounds like some sort of fucked up version of the movie She's All That. The bit about looking into her eyes for the first time....Jesus, dude.

The ability of Boogity to discern between a goth, hipster, alt, hippie or even 50's greaser is highly dubious to me.

This chick probs wore a Death Cab shirt and black chucks the first day and was labeled a freak by the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Athens community theater.

Anthony-Fedorov-Joseph-and-the-Amazing-Technicolor-Dreamcoat.jpg

It was all good and wholesome until you stared deeply into her eyes. Then it got weird.

There are so many things to love about this post:

(1) Boogity performing in a community theatre. Is there a musical based on the music of the Eagles?

(2) The fact that this allegedly shy, mute, goth girl apparently made the decision to perform in a community play in which she would be acting and singing, as opposed to sitting in her bedroom cutting herself and listening to whatever music teen goth chicks listen to in 2011.

(3) The idea of Boogity striking up a conversation with a random teenager and talking about her friends. "So, we're in this play together. Pretty funny. So tell me about your best friend. What's her name? What kind of car does she drive?"

(4) Boogity acting as a father figure and giving encouragement to her about her part-time job. "Every day when you leave your job at Chick-Fil-A, you should ask yourself, 'what did I do today to make myself a better person?' If you do that, you will succeed, I promise."

(5) Everything about the physical transformation. If sounds like some sort of fucked up version of the movie She's All That. The bit about looking into her eyes for the first time....Jesus, dude.

She had glasses and paint on her overalls. Ugh.

Perfect reference.

oh man we needed a thread like this. i've handed out like 4 edgar allen poes reps already.

Goth vs Vampire is important. I'm just saying this girl was probably living in a lovely world of twilight fantasy and your christian values destroyed her whole world. Now she will have clean herself up, graduate high school, go to some below average liberal arts college majoring in general studies, graduate and become employed at some mediocre job in some shitty small Georgia town where she meets and falls in love with Phil the local tax consultant at Applebee's, proceeds to get married, have sex every third Wednesday when Phil gets home drunk from his bowling league, gets pregnant, and at 35 years old just after dropping off her kids at school while driving her 1998 dark green dodge caravan she will think to herself, wow I could have never had all this without the help of Boogity

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on the boards. Bravo.

:slowclap:

Goth vs Vampire is important. I'm just saying this girl was probably living in a lovely world of twilight fantasy and your christian values destroyed her whole world. Now she will have clean herself up, graduate high school, go to some below average liberal arts college majoring in general studies, graduate and become employed at some mediocre job in some shitty small Georgia town where she meets and falls in love with Phil the local tax consultant at Applebee's, proceeds to get married, have sex every third Wednesday when Phil gets home drunk from his bowling league, gets pregnant, and at 35 years old just after dropping off her kids at school while driving her 1998 dark green dodge caravan she will think to herself, wow I could have never had all this without the help of Boogity

Give him a break. Look at the amazing transformation that Boogity/Bid orchestrated. She went from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan.

tumblr_lmha9qAZTP1qg7twp.jpg

Back