• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I "cured" a goth kid

tumblr_me6zchVmXg1qj5siio1_400.jpg

wanted to make sure this update made it to the right thread:

Actually my goth friend is not even goth anymore. I run into her from time to time because shes been in a couple of theatre productions with my son (shes started taking lead roles) and she also has a part-time job videotaping community board meetings for our local-access cable TV station, and she now wears colorful clothes and age-appropriate hair and makeup, and acts like a personable young adult. I think the adults involved in community theatre have been a positive influence on her.

Nobody should ever forget this thread. Moonz should probably tack it so it stays in our collective conscious forever.

This isn't DS, so it won't ever disappear.

So many classic threads lost over the years on DS.

I'm presently in a community theatre performance, and there are lots of teenagers in the cast. One of the cast members is a high school kid who wore all black clothes, painted her fingernails black, wore eyeglasses with heavy black frames, and lots of black/gray makeup. Early on, I jokingly asked her if she was planning to burglarize some businesses in her black attire, and she just gave me a bad look and didn't say anything. Over time, I started talking to her (along with the other teenagers) during practice about school, hobbies, friends, etc., and she began engaging in conversations in complete sentences without making a bad face. In the course of talking to her, I realized that she didn't have a father or father-figure in her life, so I started encouraging her especially with school, her part-time job, her singing ability, and so forth just to provide whatever little positive influence I could. A couple of weeks ago, she showed up to practice wearing contact lenses and a fashionable haircut. It was more of a "Joan Jet" style of haircut rather than a "Kate Upton" style, but it was stilll more fashionable than what she previously wore. And she had these strikingly deep dark eyes that I'd never noticed before. I casually told her that I liked her eyes. When I said that, it was the first time I'd ever seen her smile. Over the course of the next few days, she gradually started wearing colorful and fashionable clothes and more normal makeup. Now she looks and acts like a normal teenager, and she holds her head up and talks without scowling. I'm sure a lot of factors went into her dropping the goth act, but I hope I had a small part in it.

I started to bold specific parts of this but you just can't. The whole post is absolute gold.

"And she had these strikingly deep dark eyes that I'd never noticed before. I casually told her that I liked her eyes".

Amazing.

i feel like someone should commission that etsy woman that made the secret santa state of NC-with-wake-fight-song-lyrics to make a version with that post

I love that this thread just seems to pop up at random times. Was 2013 really the last time somebody kicked it to the top? Seems like it was only about 6 months to a year ago.

Looking forward to reading this entire thread again later. Posrep to Sokolove

Back