• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

Hugo is the one that I remember the most, but mainly because of the intense wind damage that came up through Charlotte and the Triad. Most of the more eastern NC storms we got rain in the triad but were spared the intense wind damage.

at198908.gif

I did come across this while looking for the Hugo track, its a plotting of all the major hurricanes in US history.
allstorms.jpg

That looks appetitizing

Hugo is probably the scariest sustained experience I have ever been through, and we were up in the NW mountains of NC at the time. Must have really sucked down at the coast. My parents have a wood furnace for heat, and they fueled it for about 10 years with wood from trees Hugo knocked down.

Mountains, really high mountains.

When you think of the plots as missile launches, there a joke somewhere about how inept the army of Senegal is.

I slept through Fran. My parents were scared shitless that a tree was about to come plunging through the house at any moment, and I was fast asleep.

This one has the potential to be worse than Fran.
It seems to be tracking further eastward with every update though. If it keeps turning, it may not even come ashore.

I slept through Fran. My parents were scared shitless that a tree was about to come plunging through the house at any moment, and I was fast asleep.

I was fully awake during both of those. During Hugo, I was too little to get excited but I still remember it to this day. We were without power and running water for over a week. Our neighborhood was the last one in the county to get power. There was this tree nearby that was pictured in several family photos around 1920, it was hundreds of years old and Hugo snapped it. I used to drive by that tree every day.

With Fran, my mother described me as a kid in the candy store. It took out several trees in our yard (we learned our lesson at Hugo and didn't plant trees that could hit the house). We were without power and water for several days. My family and my cousins all moved in with my grandmother for a few days because she had power and running water.

Quite the opposite. Been through a few hurricanes and a tornado as a young child. I was just a child fascinated/obsessed by the weather! My parents always thought I would end up being either a lawyer or a meteorologist.

There's a joke about hot air somewhere in there.

Hurricane Fran absolutely sucked in Raleigh. Trees down everywhere -- blocking roads, crushing houses and cars. Power out for a week, perfectly coinciding with it being hot as balls. I'll never forget sitting in the dark in the middle of the night listening to trees break and land on our house. It was not something I ever want to live through again (especially now that I'm the homeowner). Hopefully this one blows well east and out to sea.

Hugo was crazy in CLT. Unbelievable winds. Next morning, devastation all over the place. Our power was out for 2 weeks. As kids it was ok, because we played outside all day and had no school for 2 weeks. Block party cookouts every night to use all the food before it spoiled. We had gas heat, so some neighbors would use our showers for hot water. Shops gouging for dry ice and gas. Once was enough.

I'm going to fill up the cars with gas and buy canned food and moon pies right now. Moonzzz and i are planning to "hole up" for a few days if it comes to the ATL.

There is a growing number of forecasters that now believe the storm will either hit the eastern tip of North Carolina or possibly come very close then go back to sea. Later this afternoon/tonight should definitely give more clarity.

This is what I told a friend yesterday that was talking about the track going into S.C.

Hurricane forecasting = take the models, put the track in or near the middle. Invent justification. Good work if you can get it.

And now you see the tracks are adjusting that way.

I'm not looking at the Dominican Republic though. I'm looking at a front coming out of the continental U.S. Hurricanes don't like competition.

It just turned more eastern at the last projection which is great news for wilmington. Since I've only been in Wilmington a few years, I haven't been through a hurricane. Other folks that live here, how bad would traffic be if I decide to leave Thursday night or Friday morning? And is there any difference in going to Charlotte or Raleigh as far as traffic goes?

It just turned more eastern at the last projection which is great news for wilmington. Since I've only been in Wilmington a few years, I haven't been through a hurricane. Other folks that live here, how bad would traffic be if I decide to leave Thursday night or Friday morning? And is there any difference in going to Charlotte or Raleigh as far as traffic goes?

Well, I left Wilmington @ 11:45am on 09/15/99 (Floyd came on shore in the early hours of 09/16) and finally arrived in Stoneville, NC (30 mins north of Greensboro) @ 9:45pm that night. It generally takes me about 3.5 to make that drive. Easily the worst driving day I've ever had; traffic was literally bumper to bumper on I-40 from Wilmington to Greensboro. I had other friends report the same driving conditions on 421 N & 74W/220N.

Needless to say I will roughing it here unless it's going to be a 4 @ landfall.

Of course Floyd was the 3rd largest evacuation in US history...

Last edited:
I plan on staying as well, but if it gets upgraded and is going to be a direct hit or hits just south of us, I will probably be gone. A hurricane party sounds like a lot more fun than bumper to bumper traffic. Going to stock up this afternoon, just in case

Back