• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Earthquake/Anyone feel that?

315422_2330888197374_1404811375_2686860_6742042_n.jpg

My local wine store :(

Now that's a damned shame.

lolz JDawg/RTQ

But seriously...candlelight vigil for Nonny tonight.

Wow, just got home. Working a block away from the Capitol, that gave everyone quite a scare.

We were in the middle of a national meeting (probably 50 or so ppl on the phone) on one of the higher floors of our building when it hit. How much everything shook combined with being so close to the Capitol and the evacuation alarm going off, there were far worse fears among everyone than just an earthquake.

After evacuating, we weren't allowed back inside as some walls were badly cracked and parts of the roof were falling apart. Everyone on our team is safe but waiting outside, there were a good deal of helicopters, firetrucks and ambulances speeding around.

Wow, just got home. Working a block away from the Capitol, that gave everyone quite a scare.

We were in the middle of a national meeting (probably 50 or so ppl on the phone) on one of the higher floors of our building when it hit. How much everything shook combined with being so close to the Capitol and the evacuation alarm going off, there were far worse fears among everyone than just an earthquake.

After evacuating, we weren't allowed back inside as some walls were badly cracked and parts of the roof were falling apart. Everyone on our team is safe but waiting outside, there were a good deal of helicopters, firetrucks and ambulances speeding around.

:hug:

no it doesn't. Sheez.

Seriously, if it's a 5.9 at its epicenter, it should've been significantly less in DC. And while I know DC is not California and does not build its stuff for earthquakes (especially when they built the monument or the Cathedral), you would think that the bastion of government efficiency would want to take such things into consideration for their buildings, even if it involves retrofitting them.

Bet they do now.

no it doesn't. Sheez.

Seriously, if it's a 5.9 at its epicenter, it should've been significantly less in DC. And while I know DC is not California and does not build its stuff for earthquakes (especially when they built the monument or the Cathedral), you would think that the bastion of government efficiency would want to take such things into consideration for their buildings, even if it involves retrofitting them.

Bet they do now.

Everyone is saying that a 5.9 on the east coast =/= 5.9 on west because we sit on more solid rock. I saw someone explain it as if you shake rock everything on it will move...if you shake sand it will not.

Yea, I'm seriously doubting reports of the monument leaning. I mean, it could be, but no still picture like that is going to provide proof.

I would be curious to know what the exact magnitude was when it reached DC. I know it still had some power, but how much?

There was a seismologist on CNN earlier explaining that the minimal depth of the quake (~3+ miles down) + the density of the rock at the depth in that area of the east coast would transfer the intensity of the earthquake farther than a similar sized quake in other locales. FWIW . . .

Yea, I'm seriously doubting reports of the monument leaning. I mean, it could be, but no still picture like that is going to provide proof.

I would be curious to know what the exact magnitude was when it reached DC. I know it still had some power, but how much?

From standing on the Mall, it did not look tilted or any different than normal.

Back