• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Earthquake/Anyone feel that?

7kDXs.jpg

hahahahaha

The crazy thing about this one was how different it felt than the 2006 Winston-Salem quakes. Those were a rumble and a quick shaking, but this felt more like a swaying, on a boat in the ocean feel. As someone else said earlier, once we realized what it was it was quite surreal.

The Winston-Salem quakes in 2006 didn't sway like these, they were up/down motion.. almost like a jackhammer -- kinda sounded like a jackhammer at the house I lived in. Those are much more damaging to infrastructure since it makes things bounce.

Glad it sounds like nobody is hurt... truthfully, I'm a little disappointed to have missed it :(

Just got woken up by another one... felt a little stronger than the other two aftershocks but nothing like the main quake.

ETA: yep. USGS just reported it : 3.4 (other aftershocks are listed as 2.2 and 2.8)

This is my first house and we moved in this past weekend. I feel like if I had asked some higher being for a sign of whether or not this was the right move, this would be pretty hard to ignore. Fortunately; I kept my questions to myself.

Last edited:
Interesting. Didn't feel that one in DC. The Big one this afternoon was very obvious, but I'm sitting in the exact same place doing the exact same thing and didn't feel any aftershocks, including 30 minutes ago. Guess that one didn't travel as far?

It looks some buildings in VA are damaged. Having so many brick and mortar buildings causes that.

One thing that we need to do is upgrade our nuclear plants most have outlived or about outlive their designed lifespans.

The worst of these are on the east coast.

I woke up a little after 1:00 AM, I'm just going to blame it on aftershock

what restaurant? Bar crawl in Annapolis saturday :woot:

Nice! I'm new to the area, but it seems like there are a lot of great bars in Annapolis.

We were at Paladar in the Annapolis Town Center, er "Towne Centre" (ugh)

I feel sorry for the hundreds of people undergoing lasik and PKI vision correction during the earthquake that were blinded.

I was under the impression that the lasik machines would cut off automatically if enough vibration was felt.

Definitely felt that one. Actually felt like 2 separate shakes about 30 seconds apart, but maybe I was imagining that part.

Yea just saw that. 4.5 is pretty solid. Didn't feel anything near as strong as yesterday but still very noticeable.

I was actually sitting in the exact same place I was yesterday. Maybe I should find a new place to work in my apartment. It's gotta be my fault, right?

effing A i'm missing everything good!

Back