• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Earthquake/Anyone feel that?

Yea just saw that. 4.5 is pretty solid. Didn't feel anything near as strong as yesterday but still very noticeable.

I was actually sitting in the exact same place I was yesterday. Maybe I should find a new place to work in my apartment. It's gotta be my fault, right?

:plos:

effing A i'm missing everything good!

me too

79456022.jpg

Holy fucking shit. I thought Jesu was coming for me. Pictures came down.

My wife said the bed was shaking I was downstairs so I didn't feel it as much

The big one last night didn’t wake me up but I’ll be dammed if that aftershock didn’t just put our whole family outside.

Nice training wheels quake......sure a 5-6 quake makes news in Cali, but people don't freak out like you are doing.

After they report it, the stations go right back to whatever was happening.

Now if there was 4" of snow in Newport Beach, that would be worth paying to see

Nice training wheels quake......sure a 5-6 quake makes news in Cali, but people don't freak out like you are doing.

After they report it, the stations go right back to whatever was happening.

Now if there was 4" of snow in Newport Beach, that would be worth paying to see

I knew there was a quote for this.

The big one last night didn’t wake me up but I’ll be dammed if that aftershock didn’t just put our whole family outside.

Nm. This was the big one. I can’t read UTC time because I’m dumb.

2nd largest ever, after the 1916 Asheville quake that was a 5.2.

I remember feeling them in 2004 and 2011.

According to the NC Geological Survey, the 1916 quake was a 5.5, and in 1926 there was a 5.2 quake near Spruce Pine. In August 1861 a quake estimated at 5.0 hit Wilkes County and caused some minor damage. There are some ancient fault lines in the NC mountains and foothills, and tremors aren't uncommon, although quakes the size of the one today are apparently pretty rare. I've read that in 1886 a severe 7.0 quake hit Charleston, SC and caused major damage, so I guess it's possible we might eventually have a bigger one here. What a year.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/north-carolina-earthquake-charlotte/index.html

Last edited:
According to the NC Geological Survey, the 1916 quake was a 5.5, and in 1926 there was a 5.2 quake near Spruce Pine. In August 1861 a quake estimated at 5.0 hit Wilkes County and caused some minor damage. There are some ancient fault lines in the NC mountains and foothills, and tremors aren't uncommon, although quakes the size of the one today are apparently pretty rare. I've read that in 1886 a severe 7.0 quake hit Charleston, SC and caused major damage, so I guess it's possible we might eventually have a bigger one here. What a year.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/north-carolina-earthquake-charlotte/index.html
Whoa, didn't know it reached 5.5. Looks like there are all sorts of numbers floating around.
4761889738fc55efb65bc5e1cd35b3d7.jpg

Back